Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2024, 04:45 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

A couple of houses are being built across the road from me and they are letting trash blow away from the job site. Some of it is a 1/4 mile downwind from the site and some of it is ending up on my property. Are there any regulations regarding this (I am in Tennessee)? I don't know if the builder will clean up when they are done; I think they will only clean up the property they built the house. The reason I think that is a previous build upwind from me had a lot of trash blown onto my place and I had to clean it up.

This is not only building material but worker's drinks and lunch debris. In TN there is a 500-dollar fine (max) for littering. Is there any authority that I could call to get them to clean it up? They don't even have a dumpster on site for waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 04:48 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Need more information.

Is this in a development, or private lands with individual homes being built on it? HOA? In city limits?

In general terms, it's been my experience that there are requirements for managing trash and debris in most construction contracts. Call the construction company. At least that's where I would start.

Good luck!

RM

Old 03-14-2024, 05:04 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Need more information.

Is this in a development, or private lands with individual homes being built on it? HOA? In city limits?

In general terms, it's been my experience that there are requirements for managing trash and debris in most construction contracts. Call the construction company. At least that's where I would start.

Good luck!

RM
This is private land with two individual homes being built. I am not sure who is building the places as there is no sign out.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:25 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
This is private land with two individual homes being built. I am not sure who is building the places as there is no sign out.
Call the city/county and find out who pulled the building permits. Check on trash requirements while you’re at it.

I’ve dealt with this many times. Even when there’s a dumpster there’s trash blowing around. And the lunch debris is the worst.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:11 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Call the city/county and find out who pulled the building permits. Check on trash requirements while you’re at it.

I’ve dealt with this many times. Even when there’s a dumpster there’s trash blowing around. And the lunch debris is the worst.
Funny story about lunch debris:

I was building a house back in the early 90s. A friend who is a custom builder GC’ed the job for me and provided many of the subcontractors. He also subbed some of the work, like low voltage wiring, audio/visual, and a few other areas to me. As a result, I would often be around the job site working on my stuff like any other contractor.

One thing we did to save money was to take responsibility for trash and debris pickup on a daily basis. We would walk the lot at the end of the day after work and do just that. When the structure was “dry” we put 35 gallon trash cans on both floors and in the basement, and emptied them as necessary.

So one day I am in the house running coax for the TV distribution, and the framers are all sitting around eating lunch. One of them has fried chicken, the bones of which he was tossing on the floor, while sitting about two feet away from a trash can.

“You know, I’m sure the owner and GC appreciate people picking up after themselves.”

“Why? I’m not their maid.”

Wrong answer. That guy was kicked off the site and probably lost his job.

RM

Old 03-14-2024, 08:22 PM

5,959 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Funny story about lunch debris:

I was building a house back in the early 90s. A friend who is a custom builder GC’ed the job for me and provided many of the subcontractors. He also subbed some of the work, like low voltage wiring, audio/visual, and a few other areas to me. As a result, I would often be around the job site working on my stuff like any other contractor.

One thing we did to save money was to take responsibility for trash and debris pickup on a daily basis. We would walk the lot at the end of the day after work and do just that. When the structure was “dry” we put 35 gallon trash cans on both floors and in the basement, and emptied them as necessary.

So one day I am in the house running coax for the TV distribution, and the framers are all sitting around eating lunch. One of them has fried chicken, the bones of which he was tossing on the floor, while sitting about two feet away from a trash can.

“You know, I’m sure the owner and GC appreciate people picking up after themselves.”

“Why? I’m not their maid.”

Wrong answer. That guy was kicked off the site and probably lost his job.

RM
Good for them. Unfortunately, that type of discipline doesn't happen often enough.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:13 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Contact your city's ordnance department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate