Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's all the fault of my parents for raising me on a 110-acre farm outside Eugene, Oregon during those happy days of the sixties but, now that I'm near retirement age and have endured decades of environmental noise pollution from traffic and neighbors-from-hell at each of the homes my husband and I have rented or leased:

I'M LOOKING FOR WAYS TO JUDGE A HOME AND PROPERTY FOR POTENTIAL EXCESSIVE NOISE SOURCES BEFORE WE BUY.

Help! I'm not talking about roosters crowing (music to my ears) or farm machinery; I'm talking about boom boxes, constant loud parties, dirt bikes, unregistered/unmufflered pickup trucks, packs of barking dogs, illegal home businesses, etc.

Any ideas that have worked for you besides spending hours watching the property's residents or Googling them? Sure could use some advice, as my poor hubby doesn't see us making enough money to buy another 110 acres so we can build our home in the middle of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 12:58 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I've had two buyers with noise sensitivity and you just have to go and sit and hang out.

The problem is that what I might consider noisy another person would not. This is really a personal tolerance issue...

Old 06-17-2008, 01:00 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Listen?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:08 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Even if you sat around for days and listened, that is not a guarantee that someone won't move next door who is a noise maker. Possibly location might help you a little bit. Where the house is situated on the lot and street, if other people's garage's are on the side of your house, how close you are to major streets and highways, etc. If you are at the end of a cul de sac, the traffic noise will possibly be less, provided there are not busy streets behind you.

When I lived in a subdivision with houses closer together, I hated it. The people next door seemed so nice and we even shared the price to put up a fence together. I had no idea they had no problem letting their dog out at 6:00 in the morning to bark her head off.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:02 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,245 times
Just a thought, not sure if it would work....

You could call the local police department and see if they have records of complaints on that street. Or go door to door and make friendly inquiries about the neighborhood.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:19 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Where are you looking?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:33 PM

A bedroom community of Salem, Oregon called Dallas (as opposed to the city with longhorns). Hubby works in Salem and has a company truck so we don't have to worry about stroking out when we sit down every month with our Excel budget sheet and enter gas commute bills. With my rural background, I'm just one of those overly-sensitized people about any kind of environmental noise, so I figure my neighbors and I will get along just fine as along as we can't hear (or maybe even SEE) one another. And I want to raise chickens again with a couple of noisy roosters, too.

Great tips so far about checking with police reports and talking to potential neighbors, who will usually give you the scoop about what drives them crazy about disturbances of the peace.

Please keep the ideas coming! (And, by the way for Silverfall, whose posts I have admired and learned from since January, are you a buyer's agent familiar with little ol' Dallas???)

Thanks! This is just a superior forum for education and real-world experience!

Old 06-19-2008, 12:17 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
A bedroom community of Salem, Oregon called Dallas (as opposed to the city with longhorns). Hubby works in Salem and has a company truck so we don't have to worry about stroking out when we sit down every month with our Excel budget sheet and enter gas commute bills. With my rural background, I'm just one of those overly-sensitized people about any kind of environmental noise, so I figure my neighbors and I will get along just fine as along as we can't hear (or maybe even SEE) one another. And I want to raise chickens again with a couple of noisy roosters, too.

Great tips so far about checking with police reports and talking to potential neighbors, who will usually give you the scoop about what drives them crazy about disturbances of the peace.

Please keep the ideas coming! (And, by the way for Silverfall, whose posts I have admired and learned from since January, are you a buyer's agent familiar with little ol' Dallas???)

I am familiar with little ol' Dallas. On acreage, the biggest issue to worry about is the water table out there. They are having some problems with wells running dry and they need to be redug. We have the same problem here in South Salem.

New wells down south salem are heading to 350' or so and I think in Dallas the new ones are heading into 250' or so (I'd have to double check), but you'll want to really check out the well.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:29 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default If you don't want to see or hear neighbors...

... then it certainly makes sense to track down a remote house, doesn't it?
You need not spend a fortune or get a far more acreage than you want. Just about every town has SOME places that ""you take the county highway out to the old gravel road, then you turn down the road with no sign just that ol' church sayings billboard, go two miles and the third driveway goes to the old house with no barn"...

That would be perfect for you and the roosters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post

Old 06-19-2008, 03:15 PM

Thank you, Silverfall, for the heads-up on well depths around Dallas! Where I grew up in South Eugene, the wells were shallow and contaminated with trace metals, sulfur, and arsenic. We had to truck in water and poor Mom had to wash clothes in town or the sheets all turned orange. The property was terrific in all other ways, but the water table realities RULE. I'd never buy a property without LOTS of good, clean water.

And thanks to you, too, Chet, for keeping my dream alive of finding that "last house on the road." (Guess I'm just a loner at heart--me and my chickens!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate