Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:25 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times

Advertisements

I don't mind the seller being there if I'm back for a second viewing- but the first time I'd prefer to make my own first impression and look things over with no seller present. Of course, it depends on the seller!

Some sellers are very nice and I'm glad to have met them. One house we viewed had a creepy grown son living in the basement and we flew out of that place so fast (even though we might have liked it otherwise).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
This is a personal preference and a skill issue.

I had a buyer who refused to go in a home if the seller was present. It felt very invasive to him and he was uncomfortable. We showed up at a house and we waited outside until the seller's left. He was so uncomfortable that he didn't want to walk in the house.

I've had fantastic sellers who met their buyers and made a "home manual" about how to care for things, who did the electrical work, etc. Love those kind of people.

It's not a control issue for agents. Well maybe for some, but really the point of keeping buyers and sellers apart at first is to ensure that there aren't any misunderstandings.

True example. I sold a $350,000 home and the seller's were in their other home, but still had some stuff behind. Wife Seller just happened to be there when the agent was doing a showing. She told them that they were going to have the house professionally cleaned for the new buyers. Buyers made an offer.

At final walk through, I got a call from the agent about why the house was not professionally cleaned. I knew nothing about it and it wasn't in the contract. Then she told me about this conversation. Our contracts specifically state that the buyer is NOT relying on any oral agreements not contained in the contract. I read the sentence to the agent and that was the end of it.

Buyers were PO'd.

As someone who walks into a lot of FSBO's...some people are just not good at selling their home and should vacate. They make it harder for themselves and actually lose buyers the minute they start talking.

Generalizations in general are bad. I think we just need to remember that just because it works for you, doesn't mean that it will work for other people. Some sellers can be present at a showing and be helpful and some will kill any chance of a deal. Some buyers are comfortable walking into a house with the seller present and some detest it.

If you don't put yourself out, then you will lose those buyers that are uncomfortable. In this slow market, I'd leave in order to make sure I don't lose those buyers.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:16 AM

380 posts, read 2,351,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Generalizations in general are bad. I think we just need to remember that just because it works for you, doesn't mean that it will work for other people. Some sellers can be present at a showing and be helpful and some will kill any chance of a deal. Some buyers are comfortable walking into a house with the seller present and some detest it.

If you don't put yourself out, then you will lose those buyers that are uncomfortable. In this slow market, I'd leave in order to make sure I don't lose those buyers.
Well said. I know it's hard on the sellers, but to the extent you can, I'd be really trying to be out of the house when the buyers come, at least for a first visit. As first time buyers, we got more comfortable seeing sellers in the house and actually enjoyed a conversation or two, but even if it wasn't uncomfortable, it's still a distraction to have the seller there on the first visit. So I'm like mayfair and prefer no one there the first time, but might actually prefer it the second visit.

But not every buyer is like that, and you want to appeal to the lowest common denominator, ie, the buyer who is put off by the seller's presence.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:28 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
If anyone passes on going into a house just because the seller is home, that buyer will probably be difficult with other issues too, so I say, let them walk.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
If anyone passes on going into a house just because the seller is home, that buyer will probably be difficult with other issues too, so I say, let them walk.
Funny, as a buyer I think any seller who "doesn't want to be put out" and refuses to leave their house so I can take a look at it in private with my realtor will "probably be difficult with other issues too".

I wouldn't pass on a house just because you refuse to leave, but your presence may affect my viewing the house in a negative way. I can tell you this: Before I ever put an offer on a house I will definitely see it at least one time in complete privacy with my realtor.

Why make it more difficult for me the buyer? Don't you want to sell your house to me? Or are you trying to avoid a successful transaction?

(FWIW ~ I understand when the seller is elderly or sick, but otherwise I want you out of there when I come to take a look. Do yourself a favor and don't make me or my realtor have to ask you to leave.)

Old 06-29-2008, 10:45 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
Actually, a seller is put out when they show their house. They clean it and get it in order. They make sure they use the bathroom way ahead of time and have it clean smelling. They hold it in if the they have to go and the showing is scheduled to start soon. They remove animals if they have them and pick up toys, make sure there are no cooking smells in the house, even if they had planned on cooking Sunday dinner. They are afraid to make plans and have company over. The list is endless.

It does not make if difficult for a reasonable buyer if the seller stays out of the way. Go in the backyard, out on the deck or wherever. It has nothing to do with refusing to leave. Sometimes it is just not possible or reasonable to leave the house for the 600th time. No one has ever asked me to leave my house during a showing. I had people actually sit in my kitchen and have a conversation with their realtor while I was in the other room with my two VERY small children, in the middle of winter. I was not taking my newborn out in the cold and these people were the ones who bought my house. They had kids and they understood and they did not care.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
It's your home. In fact, I probably feel more inclined to strike a favorable deal if I have met and spoken with you, or at least waved to you in the yard. There is more trust.

Same thing as a seller. I was just loading the dogs into the car when a young woman and her realtor arrived. We didn't speak, but just seeing the person made me think about "the nice young couple" who might buy my house and how they could probably use the washer and dryer, etc, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
As a seller, I do agree. Two of my offers came from the nicest families. I was so hoping that one of them would be the buyer.
An what if the potential buyers have horns or are jerks ? Or, flip it around, and maybe the seller has horns.... Sometimes people don't care for a house because they don't care for the owners.

It can work for or against the deal. Keeping a house in ready to show condition and vacating is hard work.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:28 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,014 times
I have posted this before in another thread . We have sold several homes in the last 30 years. On only a few occations have I left the house or when I was working the pb could come in but my dogs were where they always were when I left for work in their crates. I had one showing in the late 80's that I was watching my grandkids and one was only a few months old and my house keeper was due that day. I expained it all to the realtor and she said not to worry since if they saw the house keeper they knew you had a clean home.
When we sold our home a few months ago I also told the buyers that I would continue my cleaning service until she moved in.When we moved late feb I had a move out cleaning and every two weeks a freshing up until the closing.
I also got to know two of my buyers and actually made money from them. I sold Furniture and they would come to the store and ask my opinion of an item the were going to buy from a different store but most often they came to my place of business and bought from me since I knew the houses so well.
I must say I NEVER followed anyone around and I let them have their space. The last buyer my husband took her around since she had so many questions. She bought the house.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:48 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
Sellers, don't put yourselves through this. Don't pack up the family and the dogs and drive around the block for an hour. I've done it and I won't again.

As a buyer I don't care if you are at home when I look at your house. It's your home. In fact, I probably feel more inclined to strike a favorable deal if I have met and spoken with you, or at least waved to you in the yard. There is more trust.

Same thing as a seller. I was just loading the dogs into the car when a young woman and her realtor arrived. We didn't speak, but just seeing the person made me think about "the nice young couple" who might buy my house and how they could probably use the washer and dryer, etc, etc.

The realtors (no offense intended) may not want to lose this much control, but I'm telling you it can be good for business to personalize it.
It's your house and you can do what you want, but then you accept the good and bad that will arise from your choice. For the most part, buyers do NOT want the sellers to be at home, and I strongly concur from my personal experience as both a seller and a buyer. Personally, I don't give a crap who buys my house. I want the buyer who offers me the most, with the greatest down payment, and the least risky contingencies for me. It's about me selling and making the most money possible....PERIOD.

You will sell your house faster and for more money by de-cluttering, de-personalizing, cleaning up, and by letting the buyer view your home without the pressure of you hanging around. Don't get emotional about a business transaction.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:02 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Honestly, to the people who are saying they prefer to have the sellers gone, if you find a house you absolutely love, are you really going to reject it because the buyer is present?
Of course not, but the chance of the buyer finding that house and loving it are lower if you as the seller are hanging around while the buyer is looking. Why risk alienating or making people uncomfortable? Remember, it's about selling YOUR house, not your convenience, especially in this kind of market.

I personally do not feel that I can take my time to look objectively at the house and discuss it with my wife, kids, and the realtor, while the seller (edited) is sitting in the other room or worse...following us around. If you don't care enough to do absolutely everything you can do to sell your house, then fine, but you have no grounds to complain if it sits on the market for a long time.

Last edited by neil0311; 06-29-2008 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Corrected mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate