Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:46 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,275,534 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm in. I feel like you all know everything about us, lol but here are my answers:

We are moving to Northern CA (Sac) via WA State from Southern Utah because:

Kids and family
Trees, Trees and more trees
Seasons
Mountains
Ocean
It's home

We will miss:

Friends we have made here
Fall, Winter and Spring
Lower car insurance and sales tax

We will not miss:

HEAT
Desert
Dry Skin
House payment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 07:38 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,149,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Ok, I'm in. I feel like you all know everything about us, lol but here are my answers:

We are moving to Northern CA (Sac) via WA State from Southern Utah because:

Kids and family
Trees, Trees and more trees
Seasons
Mountains
Ocean
It's home

We will miss:

Friends we have made here
Fall, Winter and Spring
Lower car insurance and sales tax

We will not miss:

HEAT
Desert
Dry Skin
House payment!
Hey Dogmom,

We promise not to use any information against you! Sounds like you are homesick for California. I'm learning alot from people's answers. One of the things that seems consistent on most people's lists, is being near family, and/or financial considerations. It's excellent that these are both aligned in your situation. Hope you sell your house soon T.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:15 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Default NJ to Upstate NY

Interesting, we bought retirement home in upstate NY and many of the things you mentioned that you will enjoy in retirement, we have in upstate. We moved due to over crowding, high property tax, inedpt government, traffic, etc. We enjoy a couple of acres, starry sky at night, friendly and helpful neighbors, resonable property taxes and closer to our daughter in VT. A priority in our retirement was that the area had a lot to offer as to activities and things we would enjoy doing. The snow doesn't bother us, as we don't have to go to work. We did not want to go south because of the heat and humidity.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:42 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,937,491 times
property taxes and isurance might be a surprise!!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Interesting, we bought retirement home in upstate NY and many of the things you mentioned that you will enjoy in retirement, we have in upstate. We moved due to over crowding, high property tax, inedpt government, traffic, etc. We enjoy a couple of acres, starry sky at night, friendly and helpful neighbors, resonable property taxes and closer to our daughter in VT. A priority in our retirement was that the area had a lot to offer as to activities and things we would enjoy doing. The snow doesn't bother us, as we don't have to go to work. We did not want to go south because of the heat and humidity.
Glad you found your "happy place"

Old 07-05-2008, 07:32 PM

124 posts, read 470,649 times
Here's my list:

We are moving to San Diego from Maryland because:

We want to be closer to family
California will always be Home to me
I miss the Pacific Ocean, Disneyland, Carls Jr. Tamales, deserts, snow-capped mountains, grunion runs, whale watching, palm trees, pine forests, and more
I never want to shovel snow again
Year round temperate weather
Great job opportunity for my husband
Lots of outdoor activities
Closer to where we vacation (Disneyland, Vegas, San Diego itself)
Avocado trees!

I will miss:

Our friends and neighbors
Not having to water my gardens every single day to keep them alive
Lower housing costs
Being able to walk to the beach
Sunday mornings having coffee on the deck and watching the boats on Chesapeake bay.
All the cool museums in DC
How green everything is
Crab cakes and steamed shrimp every where you look
Thunderstorms (sorta, I hate all the rain, but they're so cool)

I will not miss:

Unrelenting humidity in the summer that I literally can not cope with.
How it doesn't cool down at night during the summer
Snow, rain and heat. As far as I can tell "seasons" is just a euphemism for crappy weather.
Hurricanes
Utility costs.
Bugs, bugs and more bugs.
Getting lost everywhere I go (my sense of direction out here is backwards because to me water=west.)
The lonely, little holidays all by ourselves.
The Beltway
The lack of decent Mexican food

Old 07-05-2008, 07:40 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,275,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
Here's my list:

I miss the Pacific Ocean, Disneyland, Carls Jr. Tamales, deserts, snow-capped mountains, grunion runs, whale watching, palm trees, pine forests, and more
Avocado trees!

I will miss:

Lower housing costs
Sunday mornings having coffee on the deck and watching the boats on Chesapeake bay.
How green everything is

I will not miss:

Snow, rain and heat. As far as I can tell "seasons" is just a euphemism for crappy weather.
Hurricanes
Utility costs.
Getting lost everywhere I go (my sense of direction out here is backwards because to me water=west.)
The Beltway

Sounds like we are both homesick for Californian..I agree to all the above, especially avocadoes! Yum. Cant get decent fruit in Utah... or mexican food either.. Not like we Californians are used to, anyway. Taco Time does not equate to mexican food to me

Old 07-05-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Here's my list:

Avocado trees!

I will miss:

Lower housing costs
How green everything is

I will not miss:

Hurricanes
Utility costs.
The Beltway
Wow Hobgoblin, reading your post, your longing and homesickness for San Diego is intense. Do you have your house on the market yet? I hope you can move soon. T.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:58 PM

124 posts, read 470,649 times
I am totally homesick, and sad to say, its been going on for nearly 10 years now. What totally sucks is that my husband, who was the one behind the drive to stay in Maryland is already living in SD while I'm stuck here tying up loose ends and waiting on the house to sell.

When I finally talked him into giving the move a shot he got a job offer much more quickly than we anticipated. So he's where I wanted desperately to be, and I'm where he really didn't want to leave. Although, after six months of living in San Diego he's pretty satisfied with the decision. Except for the whole living on opposite ends of the country thing we got going on right now

Tamber: Our house is finally on the market as of last month. We were aiming for earlier, but life has a way of messing up your plans. Oddly enough, I've never actually lived for any length of time in San Diego, I'm from L.A. and also lived in Riverside County, but even back when I was in L.A. I wanted to move to SD and except for a few months once in the northern reaches of the county I never made a go of it. It's SD do or die this time though!

Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I am totally homesick, and sad to say, its been going on for nearly 10 years now. What totally sucks is that my husband, who was the one behind the drive to stay in Maryland is already living in SD while I'm stuck here tying up loose ends and waiting on the house to sell.

When I finally talked him into giving the move a shot he got a job offer much more quickly than we anticipated. So he's where I wanted desperately to be, and I'm where he really didn't want to leave. Although, after six months of living in San Diego he's pretty satisfied with the decision. Except for the whole living on opposite ends of the country thing we got going on right now

Tamber: Our house is finally on the market as of last month. We were aiming for earlier, but life has a way of messing up your plans. Oddly enough, I've never actually lived for any length of time in San Diego, I'm from L.A. and also lived in Riverside County, but even back when I was in L.A. I wanted to move to SD and except for a few months once in the northern reaches of the county I never made a go of it. It's SD do or die this time though!
Hobgoblin, from the list you gave of "What I will miss" it sounds like you are in a fantastic and very desirable area. There are many people who would appreciate an environment where they can visit museums, walk to the beach, drink coffee and look at sailboats on the Chesapeake, etc. If you are close to D.C., there must be a large population of potential buyers. That's a highly marketable location to say the least. Have you had any serious second lookers or any offers yet? Does your hubby get enough time off to come and help out, or are you doing this all on your own? T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate