Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 01:44 PM

5 posts, read 57,863 times

Advertisements

Your inspector did his job by finding and reporting the mold. To find out if mold is "hiding" as he put it, this can be done with an IAC test. When mold is found the first step is to determine the source, "moisture". If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back. There are many reasons for the pipe breaking, freezing is one. If the home has been empty this could have been the cause. Mold can be removed and controlled.
www.cbchomeinspect.com/mold-and-moisture-testing.htm (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 68,714 times
Quote:
Shall I buy a house with mold?
Depends on how much you want to possibly invest in your new home. Just think of the steps involved and the cost associated with each.

Step 1: Mold removal - this means a remediation co. comes and properly removes the affected areas. This will be your largest expense.

Step 2: Once the mold has been removed, you'll need to have some testing completed to ensure the mold has been removed. Don't make the mistake of immediately buttoning up the walls if you haven't done any testing. Nothing worse than 12 months later realizing you've still got mold in the walls that you ripped apart last year.

Step 3: Getting a contractor back in to fix all the areas that were part of demo.

Bottom line is, mold does not have the same effect on everyone here. If you have asthma issues, chances are mold will be your worst enemy. I've known people to live in a mold contaminated house for months and months and not have any health issues, on the other hand I have known people that once they step foot into the home, they have breathing difficulties.

For those home owners/buyers that think mold removal is as simple as spraying some bleach on the walls and a little elbow grease to remove the visual mold, it's simply not that easy. If you have mold on any interior wall, you have no idea what is on the other side, until you rip into it.

So to answer your question of "shall I buy a house with mold", Sure, why not! Buy at YOUR own risk.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:52 PM

60 posts, read 387,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLInspector View Post
Depends on how much you want to possibly invest in your new home. Just think of the steps involved and the cost associated with each.

So to answer your question of "shall I buy a house with mold", Sure, why not! Buy at YOUR own risk.
Thanks! The sellers would probably fix the mold at their cost. The concerns is how likely all the sources of the mold be will removed such that the mold won't come back. It seems there is no sure answer. Therefore, I decide to walk away. The current issue is how to get my deposit back without too much hassle. Please see my previous posts.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:18 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
So, what did the seller say to your Inspection Response?

Old 07-13-2008, 04:39 PM

72 posts, read 353,827 times
I have sold or bought 4 houses with mold. I think it a money issue mostly. It can be corrected pretty completely - however I would expect the seller to cover all costs and take a hit on the house value.

It can be quite expensive though so don't take one from a bank or something without it being repaired.

A little mold under a leaky sink? - Hit it with clorox and forget about it. Life is too short.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 68,714 times
Here is a good example of one I wouldn't fool with. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses (in regards to the deposit).

You'll notice the mold above the wainscot, just imagine how much is beneath and behind the sheetrock.

shall i buy a house with mold?-img_6942.jpg

This one is from a commercial building, the mold was behind the wallpaper. To the naked eye it was not visible. No mold was on the facing of the wallpaper.

shall i buy a house with mold?-3rd-fl-hall-caremedic-2-.jpg

Old 07-13-2008, 07:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLInspector View Post
Here is a good example of one I wouldn't fool with. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses (in regards to the deposit).

You'll notice the mold above the wainscot, just imagine how much is beneath and behind the sheetrock.

Attachment 23187

This one is from a commercial building, the mold was behind the wallpaper. To the naked eye it was not visible. No mold was on the facing of the wallpaper.

Attachment 23189
That needs to be stripped to studs and redone. And then you should get about a 20 or 25% reduction on the cost of the building. Not a bad deal.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
I'm interested to know what finally happened with your situation?

Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 AM

222 posts, read 1,054,311 times
If the house price reflects the mold clean-up cost then go for it. I would have a few bids on the clean-up and either have the seller pay or reduce the price.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:32 PM

94 posts, read 763,443 times
My basement flooded last year (only 1 1/2 inches of water at most) and we had mold on the walls. We bleached it, treated it, etc. We ended up having to gut the entire basement and replace all the framing and full walls with green board this time. Then spray with Killz, then re-insulate, etc, etc. It costs thousands and initially it looked like just a bit of mold on the side of a few walls a couple of inches up. Keep looking for another house imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate