Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 26,687 times

Advertisements

I actually mean final walk through question.........We are about to close on a lake house property.. This is our problem.. The people are moving to Florida.. but need 10 days to move out.. We don't want to close til they are moving out.. day of to be exact. The reasons behind this are .. the house is fully furnished.. and we want to be sure they leave everything they say they are. In our contract, it reads they are only taking these items.. piano, grill, two tvs. But we are still leary of closing before final walk throught takes place at last possible moment.. Are we being too picky, untrusting? Thanks for any feed back.

Last edited by nikkin; 08-05-2008 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 12:29 PM

202 posts, read 704,596 times
I think (thought) it was normal not to close until the sellers have vacated the house. In the past when we have bought, we had the opportunity to do a final walk-through the house to make sure it was empty and broom-clean before we went to our closing. In your case, it would be a walk-through to see that all is as specified in your contract. But I'm not an agent or lawyer so I don't know for sure.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibutiej View Post
I think (thought) it was normal not to close until the sellers have vacated the house. In the past when we have bought, we had the opportunity to do a final walk-through the house to make sure it was empty and broom-clean before we went to our closing. In your case, it would be a walk-through to see that all is as specified in your contract. But I'm not an agent or lawyer so I don't know for sure.
Oh I see.. we really don't know what to expect til tonight when we meet with the sellers, and agent (their agent, we don't have one). We thought there may be some problem with not wanting to close til they are out.. That is great news!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:49 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
You are certainly within your rights to ask for this. What if they accidentally burn down the house while they stay after you purchase it? Though that is unlikely to happen, it is something you need to plan for. If you must let them stay, charge them a daily rent and make provision for damages/missing items.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:42 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkin View Post
Oh I see.. we really don't know what to expect til tonight when we meet with the sellers, and agent (their agent, we don't have one). We thought there may be some problem with not wanting to close til they are out.. That is great news!
If you don't have an agent and they do I would strongly suggest that you not agree to anything without consulting an attorney. Dealing with questions like you raise are exactly what buyer agents and/or real estate attorneys are for. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:52 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times
You should be doing a walk through the morning of the closing. Not sure why you don't have someone representing you though. Your agent would have handled this for you.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 PM

410 posts, read 1,682,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
You should be doing a walk through the morning of the closing. Not sure why you don't have someone representing you though. Your agent would have handled this for you.
Bingo...too many issues with a walk thru after closing... recourse could be limited & costly. Insist on a walk through on the way to the closing table. Possession to be taken once closed & funded...no holdovers...Sunny

Old 08-05-2008, 02:42 PM

Thank you all for your all the great information!

Old 08-05-2008, 03:52 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
Set the closing up for as soon as they vacate the property. I can't imagine it being a problem?
Do a walkthru several hours prior to the closing, to give you some time for corrections in case anythign is amiss.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
What does your contract say about closing date and possession?

Is this ten day thing something new?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate