Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:49 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,670,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
No way I'd pay 10% to ANY realtor, I do not care if you jumped through hula hoops upside down balancing a plate on your head.

Of course the realtors that chimed in say "oh absolutely", or "of course" they'd pay. (It shows their ulterior motives).

I'm sorry but if you did extra chores like cutting grass, clearing away clutter, either charge a flat fee for that, or do it for free. Are you a property manager or realtor?
If you're wearing both hats, then that might be different, but you should clearly state in the contract exactly what it is you will be doing to EARN the other percentage on top of the going rate.

I'm not realtor bashing by no means, I just find it rather offensive that people think they can suck somebody's eyeballs out for nothing. Your job is to get the place sold. If you don't like the going rate you're getting paid, I'd suggest take it up with the NAR or find another job.
I never complained about the going rate I am getting paid?

Some properties take extra work above and beyond the norm and warrant a higher commission.

If I spend half a day every day for a week going through microfilm at the County Clerk and then many more days dealing with people from the county to get access to a formerly landlocked parcel then I deserve more than my normal rate and the seller was in agreement with this.

Espescially since they got quite a bit higher price once there was access to the parcel.

Sure they could have hired a lawyer to do what I did but it would have cost them quite a bit more than the increased commission and with me they only paid it if we got it sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:50 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,670,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
No, I wouldn't! I don't think that I would ever buy swampland--I would be very careful when making a purchase of land/home or whatever. I would always buy in an established neighborhood. So again, no to the 10%.
I guess you missed the point of a hypothetical situation.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:24 AM

27,219 posts, read 46,811,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
No way I'd pay 10% to ANY realtor, I do not care if you jumped through hula hoops upside down balancing a plate on your head.

Of course the realtors that chimed in say "oh absolutely", or "of course" they'd pay. (It shows their ulterior motives).

I'm sorry but if you did extra chores like cutting grass, clearing away clutter, either charge a flat fee for that, or do it for free. Are you a property manager or realtor?
If you're wearing both hats, then that might be different, but you should clearly state in the contract exactly what it is you will be doing to EARN the other percentage on top of the going rate.

I'm not realtor bashing by no means, I just find it rather offensive that people think they can suck somebody's eyeballs out for nothing. Your job is to get the place sold. If you don't like the going rate you're getting paid, I'd suggest take it up with the NAR or find another job.
I totally agree with you if you aren't happy with the current commission...this might not be the best busines to be in. IMO the professional needs to show he is even worth the 6%, for example by the amount of previous sales in good and bad times, so over a period of maybe 2 or 3 years, if they are in the business for so long. For new realtors it should be negotiable, but that is JMO....

Old 08-08-2008, 09:36 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,382,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
No, I didn't miss it!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:32 AM

571 posts, read 1,050,940 times
Default I wouldn't

I cannot imagine paying more than 6%. In my area of So. CA, homes are still selling for $700,000 + (one just down the street sold the other day for that amount).

That's a lot of money for the services rendered if you ask me!

Do each of the agents really do $21,000 k worth of work? I cannot imagine that to be true.

If I was selling a home in the $100 k range, it would be a different story...

Old 08-08-2008, 12:16 PM

27,219 posts, read 46,811,537 times
Shouldn't there be a survey after the deal has been done. I received calls from stores, car repair shops (dealer), builders, title companies, etc.. to ask what you think about the work and how it was done. I'm always honest in my responses and hope the company can do something with it and most of the time I'm happy that I could have been positive
IMO it is free info for the company and they can do whatever they want with it and maybe some people aren't that honest and people have different standards for the same work...but still the avarage come out can help a company and might help to deside if the commission is fair or not, in this case....although the commission is already been paid...it can help for the next transaction.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,453,735 times
Our broker sends out a survey after every closing. So does the relocation company that we do work for sometimes. We're instructed to tell our clients to expect to receive it, so they won't think it's junk mail and toss it. I suspect that most large brokerages do the same - at least, that's what I hear from the agents that work for them. So,there you are - it's already being done!

Old 08-08-2008, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,996 times
I am a seller ready to get upgrade for my kids; ages 10, 3, 2, and 4 months. I am looking for land to purchase and build on and to sell my existing home. Any insights on builders' assistance in Maryland? Does anyone else if business loans could be intertwined with regular loans to build a home? I run my company business from home and wondering if this is possible?

Old 08-08-2008, 06:11 PM

40,963 posts, read 49,278,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Mike more than 1 person has bought swampland. Didn't Walt Disney buy a little in the Orlando area ?

I'll bet even Sam Walton bought swampland if the location was right. Swamps can be filled & made into very valuable real estate.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,449,420 times
It would depend but...My first agent agreed to a declining % for listing, never did squat and I ended up firing her. My agent as of date is wonderful even though I am not sold as of date. Not sure if I can explaine my thinking here but depending on the service and ability of the agent I would agree to pay a higher % if it sold, if my agent had less experience and took forever to sell my place (in a good mkt) than no I would not do 10%. 10% sold 30 days vs 6% sold 120 days? The 4% difference I would of spent in keeping the hse going for the 90 extra days. I can't agree on how some think agents don't earn their keep and are not worth 6%, and yes there are some that aren't worth 1%. I have had attorneys charge 250/hr that did nothing and still got 250/hr, I think you can argue that any professional isn't worth what they charge. So how do you all justify what you make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate