Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:44 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,788,996 times

Advertisements

We interrupt this Forum for a little GOOD NEWS regarding our economy -

Please share if you just SOLD your home or it is now under contract :

a) Price (or whatever you feel comfortable sharing i.e. ~ $$$ range)
b) Location (city, county, state - again whatever you feel comfortable sharing)
c) How long on the market (1st time, 2nd, etc.)
d) FSBO or Realtor
e) What do you think got it SOLD or under contract (price reduction; turnkey home; lack of competition; or possibly sheer LUCK )?

Thanks for sharing and BEST WISHES on your move, your new home and a clean close !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 01:19 PM

30 posts, read 128,997 times
accepted offer on march 3, and closed on march 28.

- sold for $201,000 (3br, 2.5 bath, built in 1998) - we did end up eating around $19,000 of it, which roughly correlates to all of the closing costs, including the $6,000 they asked for

- portage, michigan, which is next to kalamazoo in southwest of state

- luckily, and oddly, realtor brought over a couple 2 days before we were to officially list the house. they liked it, and 2 days later, we exchanged offers and accepted. thus, it never actually got "on the market"

- what got it sold was it being nicer (move in, unpack, and you're good to go - no work needed) than other houses in price range; that and pure dumb luck.

extremely nice to be on the other side now, as we're relocating to Portland, OR, and will be looking for a place roughly 3 times the cost of our old place.

phew!!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 PM

97 posts, read 485,992 times
-sold in 3 weeks, closed in April
-sold for 7k less than asking price (2 br, 2 1/2 bath townhouse) competing w/ 2 units in the same courtyard ( & one was identical and had upgraded appliances and carpeting)

-north brunswick, nj

-used real estate agency

-what got it sold was my staging efforts, and buyer lost bid to unit across from us (and we sold for more)

Old 05-05-2008, 01:56 PM

995 posts, read 3,930,971 times
a) Price: $320k
b) Location: Clarence, NY near Bufallo
c) 2 weeks 1st time
d) Realtor
e) good timing (early February) with lack of competition, smallest house in the subdivision with average price of $400k

Old 05-05-2008, 02:29 PM

601 posts, read 1,904,523 times
accepted an offer 6,400.00 under asking price. appraised at 260,000.00
asking 239900.00....accepted 233500.00. Sold FSBO... no ads ..just the sign in the yard with fliers. took 8 months. should close on June 26th. Niceville Fl.
Just outside Destin. Off to Seattle Wa. area

Old 05-05-2008, 02:53 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,659 times
I don't want to post b/c aren't "under contract" but just got an offer. So excited.

I will say, while we are in the "happy news" place that the house we are buying, we were 99.9% under contract there, it never was listed, we luckily are working it privately and saving a ton of money there. That is after losing 4 homes that all went within 24hrs -1 week. In our market good homes in great areas are selling quickly. It helps that Denver is getting a lot of positive press right now.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,577 times
a) Offered 98% of listing price
b) Triangle area, NC
c) 1st time, 6 weeks
d) Realtor
e) House is immaculate, but it did take the right buyer at the right time

We got our offer the day after we put an offer in for a house in Denver, so all good!

Old 05-05-2008, 03:22 PM

649 posts, read 3,445,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post

d) FSBO or Realtor
e) What do you think got it SOLD or under contract (price reduction; turnkey home; lack of competition; or possibly sheer LUCK )?

Thanks for sharing and BEST WISHES on your move, your new home and a clean close !!!
Under contract, awaiting inspection on Friday... fingers crossed... and toes...

a) $180,000 (was asking $183K). Cash sale, no financing.

b) Ithaca, New York (I have been told it's a fairly stable market; we certainly didn't have the kind of 'bubble' that some places had! We purchased the home in 1994 for $142,500, did some modest upgrades and renovations, but also had some substantial 'wear and tear', and converted from 2-family to 1-family with large rec room and storage rooms). Homes in the area seem to be selling for a bit more in general (around $200K), but it's not a 'cookie cutter' area - every home is unique. I suspect many are in better shape than ours, though perhaps with less land.)

c) Not really "on the market"; I'd listed on Craig's List and Iggyshouse just to see if any interest was generated. I was planning to update the kitchen and then list with a realtor at about $187-190K (commission here is 6-7%). No sign was up yet, no print ads, no flyers. Buyers saw it on Iggys.

d) FSBO, no agents for seller or buyer.

e) I dunno. It's a very quirky house, absolutely fabulous if you value certain things (solid construction, light and sun, hardwood floors, big kitchen, storage space, and land) but not really attractive to many people (5 BR 2 Ba with 2 BR and 1 Ba in the 'walk in' basement, which has a truly weird layout, and the remainder of which is not finished, outdated and worn kitchen, no master bath). I think, LUCK (the right people happened to see it...). Certainly not marketing (my photos weren't even that good!). Maybe (probably?) price.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,788,996 times
Thumbs up Thank you ALL for your posts thus far!

I'm hoping that we (CDF readers ) will see a trend and it will help us in our selling efforts . So far, it appears that all the homes are east of Boulder, CO and under $321K . Let's hope we start seeing some posts west of Boulder, CO and above $321K :-)

A BIG CONGRATS to all of you who have SOLD !!!!

<do not read here unless you are easily influenced...subliminal message....please buy my home.... >

Old 05-05-2008, 04:57 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post

d) FSBO or Realtor

Charlotte, NC

On market a year

Realtor

Reduced price as we were overpriced for the current market. Now price
is about right. Our house is perfect for empty nesters . We are retired
and the new owners are also.

Hope the inspection process doesn't cause us a wrinkle!!

Dunroven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate