Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 04:35 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,730 times

Advertisements

Or better yet, two at the same time in this market? Are we going to need major tranquilizers?

House #1: our first house as a family (both DH and I had previously owned homes in another life.) 100 years old, 2400 sq f, 4 bds, 2.5 baths, gorgeous woodwork and a bridal staircase, newer kitchen .22 acre, busy street, next to crazy cat lady who neglects her house. It was on the market for 12 months and we took it off a year ago to rent out. We have tenants in it now,and they are nice kids but it looks like student housing now, when it really is quite a nice house. But we really can't lose that income.

House #2: Our current house, started life as a boat-building shop, so first floor, which we use as a garage, is HUGE. House built on top of shop is 3200 sq ft, 4 bdr, office, library, character galore, ocean and mountain views, 6 acres, no closets in bedrooms (we are having some added), no heat in bedrooms, hell to heat, wicked long gravel driveway with easement over neighbor's land to road, will cost $3000 to grade and fill in (we're doing this soon).

We will be lucky to break even on both.

Anyone got some Valium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 04:49 PM

472 posts, read 1,710,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Anyone got some Valium?
Yikes! And Yikes! May I suggest going over to crazyma's sellers support thread? And, instead of Valium, 5-htp. Increases serotonin, no side effects. Good luck to you.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:50 PM

Hmmm, 5-htp. (Runs off to google it....)

Old 08-16-2008, 06:48 PM

7,726 posts, read 1,889,463 times
Welcome to the club. We are trying to sell our home (it is zoned commercial in a greedy city that builders hate) and my parents mobile home that is in a park that everyone seems to be in a race to have the lowest priced property so they can sell. We just keep paying out the expense every month and keep lowering the price on the mobile home ( we already have lowered our home $100,000 so we can't go further) and we wait, and wait.
I haven't taken any pills but at this point I am pretty numb. You really should check out Crazymas boot camp and poetry thread. It has been a life saver for me. The people there are trying to sell, or have sold and trying to move, or are just there for moral support. They are the nicest people and not only offer support but give a seller some real good advice from having been there.
Good luck to you and may those buyers come soon!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,446,083 times
Yup Have 2 on the market, some times I think I need drugs , some times I think I am too crazy and this can't effect me, some times I dream I am a millionaire and just give the dang things away! Does selling 2 make you twice as stressed, yup, does selling 2 make you twice as angry, yup, does selling 2 make you twice as tired YUP! Is this the time to try to sell 1, no, should I be trying to sell both HELL NO!!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 08:09 PM

10 posts, read 31,838 times
Lawmom, are your homes on the market? Make sure they are competitively priced, and marketed with a Realtor.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:05 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,381,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Or better yet, two at the same time in this market? Are we going to need major tranquilizers?

House #1: our first house as a family (both DH and I had previously owned homes in another life.) 100 years old, 2400 sq f, 4 bds, 2.5 baths, gorgeous woodwork and a bridal staircase, newer kitchen .22 acre, busy street, next to crazy cat lady who neglects her house. It was on the market for 12 months and we took it off a year ago to rent out. We have tenants in it now,and they are nice kids but it looks like student housing now, when it really is quite a nice house. But we really can't lose that income.

House #2: Our current house, started life as a boat-building shop, so first floor, which we use as a garage, is HUGE. House built on top of shop is 3200 sq ft, 4 bdr, office, library, character galore, ocean and mountain views, 6 acres, no closets in bedrooms (we are having some added), no heat in bedrooms, hell to heat, wicked long gravel driveway with easement over neighbor's land to road, will cost $3000 to grade and fill in (we're doing this soon).

We will be lucky to break even on both.

Anyone got some Valium?
In this market, you may have to try the old "buy one, get one free" approach. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:30 AM

Our first house is going on the market next week. The one we live in now, I'm not so sure. We are moving in November, and thought about having a friend stay during the winter months to pay the heat and electric, and putting it on the market in March (maybe we would put it on craigslist ourselves prior to March.)

Now, "competitively priced" is an interesting concept, in that the realtors who come to see them always know what we paid and the ask what we put into them for money, so the list price seems to be based on that. I'd really like to know the darned figure the realtors think the market will bear, not what we need to break even, though of course we want to break even if we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate