Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:08 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Actually, I think I'm doing people a big service. I know there are a lot of realtors on the site and you folks don't like it when someone points out the economics involved, but I stand by everything I said. Honestly, can you not see that in the end, the buyer is paying both agents and can legitimately negotiate the purchase price based on the lack of an agent? Are you really claiming agents never agree to concede part of their fee? Everything is negotiable.

LOL.. nope.. agents will not concede part of their fee when the buyer has no agent.. because guess what? That agent now has those buyers as their "customers" and is dealing with BOTH sides of the transaction as far as work/paperwork and follow up is concerned (calling two attorneys, keeping up with the buyers banks, inspectors etc.. as far as follow up and follow through are concerned)! You can still work on both sides as long as you never compromised your clients (seller) sale price by giving information to the buyer (customer) that you shouldn't have (ie: the lowest price the seller is willing to take or information that may seem to put the sellers at disadvantage like they are divoricing and MUST SELL now or something along those lines).

It seems you really do not understand how real estate transactions truly work and you are giving misinformation which stands to hurt potential buyers with misperceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 01:15 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I love when a non represented buyer thinks they are saving the Buyers agents commission. They don't understand the entire commission goes to my broker and I get a cut of the entire amount.

There is no savings to the buyer just additional income for the listing agent. Usually we earn it since we have to work harder to keep the unrepresented buyer on track to close on the home. There's more work on our end to protect the seller.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:25 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I love when a non represented buyer thinks they are saving the Buyers agents commission. They don't understand the entire commission goes to my broker and I get a cut of the entire amount.

There is no savings to the buyer just additional income for the listing agent. Usually we earn it since we have to work harder to keep the unrepresented buyer on track to close on the home. There's more work on our end to protect the seller.

Amen.. problem is sellers and buyers alike have NO IDEA the little things we do to keep the sale from falling apart... Buying and selling is highly emotional for both sides.. and it's a big deal. There are so many parties to a transaction and we are the hubs that keep it all together.. when there are two agents there's two of us handling and deaing within that hub.. but when there is one agent to the transaction it's twice the work..

Old 08-26-2008, 05:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
If you understand real estate and can manuever yourself then you do not need an agent. If you are a first time buyer or are not familiar with real estate then it's in your best interest to get an agent.

Not everyone needs an agent.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:39 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you understand real estate and can manuever yourself then you do not need an agent. If you are a first time buyer or are not familiar with real estate then it's in your best interest to get an agent.

Not everyone needs an agent.
Agreed, but most do.

And all these people thinking that they can come in without an agent and make the listing agent and seller re-negotiate a previously agreed upon compensation contract, they are mistaken. In no way is a realtor obligated to lower their compensation just because you don't come with representation. Sellers agree to pay 6% to sell their home, not 6% to sell their home if there is another agent and 3% if they have to do double the work working directly with a buyer. What commission the seller is paying is not part of any P+S agreement. The seller simply accepts your purchase price or not, whether the buyer is represented or not.

I'm not saying some brokers will allow this, but most do not, as they have absolutely no need to. They have a contract and they are doing their job well if they are selling the home successfully.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:01 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,920 times
Another option - use a discount broker as your buyer's agent and get a rebate on the commission offset against your closing costs - saved us thousands of dollars

Old 08-26-2008, 08:22 PM

9 posts, read 59,933 times
Sergio is right so is everyone you do not have to work with a listing agent who happened to show you the house You are a customer not a Client You become a client when you enter into a written agreement with a realtor then you will be represented as a client with YOUR best interest at hand. Good luck

Old 08-26-2008, 08:22 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,653 times
Agreed with all, you need to be represented, and besides the buyers agent works for you, and the seller pays all the fees, so no expense to you. It certainly does not matter, that you visited without an agent. So good luck, and buy your home.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 PM

london girl discount brokers are like discount surgeons!!! would you use a discount surgeon? no i didnt think so you would want the BEST

Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 PM

Hey Levitown I am orignially from Bayport been in Hilton Head 18yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
LOL.. nope.. agents will not concede part of their fee when the buyer has no agent.. because guess what? That agent now has those buyers as their "customers" and is dealing with BOTH sides of the transaction as far as work/paperwork and follow up is concerned (calling two attorneys, keeping up with the buyers banks, inspectors etc.. as far as follow up and follow through are concerned)! You can still work on both sides as long as you never compromised your clients (seller) sale price by giving information to the buyer (customer) that you shouldn't have (ie: the lowest price the seller is willing to take or information that may seem to put the sellers at disadvantage like they are divoricing and MUST SELL now or something along those lines).

It seems you really do not understand how real estate transactions truly work and you are giving misinformation which stands to hurt potential buyers with misperceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate