Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:14 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Fair Housing Act has nothing to do with your situation.
That was my thought also. I thought the FH Act covered buying & selling homes. Sounds like you have harrasment and other problems that should be covered by local or state laws.

Did you ever get a restraining order ? Why did the local police not get involved ?

I was curious, why sue the HOA ? I've never seen one get involved in your situation on how neighbors conduct themselves, just issues with the property.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:36 PM

952 posts, read 3,707,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativelyNashville View Post
To cut a very long story short, my family moved away from our old house into a new one to escape from racially hostile neighbors who had been threatening, intimidating and harassing us for close to six months. We tried to work with the HOA, the property management company, the police department, the DA and others - to no avail - and after much thought (for the sake of our marriage and children's well-being) decided to move to another home.

We are still pursuing action against all parties and the federal government is investigating them all (neighbors, HOA, property management company, etc.).

The thing is, we are now stuck with two mortgages and I have told my husband that I do not believe anyone in his or her right mind wil purchase the home. 1) The neighbors throw pictures they've taken of us (and anyone who has visited our property) over the fence; they have written hate language on the photos and prospective buyers have seen these pictures when visiting the property for a showing; 2) the neighbors stare at or yell at anyone who has been on our property - even though we are now gone, they harass the grass cutters and others (I believe this is all in an effort to ensure our home does not sell and to further damage us - this time, financially); 3) we lost our first realtor because she was confronted by the owner of the neighboring home (did we mention that those who reside there are tenants?!) and he demanded a copy of the property disclosure form and our listing agreement with her. She refused, he threatened to sue her and contact her broker, and so she decided she could not represent us/list our home.

We have priced the home to the point where we are operating at a deficit and will have to bring at least $12-$15K to closing. We cannot afford to do that, and we certainly cannot afford to do more.

I am throwing my hands up. I say we should not make any more payments. Let the bank take it! However, I want to ensure that if we do that we are able to keep the home we just purchased. My husband absolutely refuses to do this, but we cannot indefinitely pay two mortgages, especially one on a house with so many ancillary issues.

I called the mortgage company and they were no help. They say we have no options until we are three months delinquent.

Any advice?

I need to know where this is at? You neighbors sound criminal?

Old 09-02-2008, 06:39 PM

952 posts, read 3,707,024 times
"I called the mortgage company and they were no help. They say we have no options until we are three months delinquent. "

What options were they?
Why don't you short sale it?

Old 09-02-2008, 06:43 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,959 times
Homeowner fraud exacerbates mortgage crisis | Business | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California (http://www.pe.com/business/local/stories/PE_News_Local_S_cheaters31.45b183a.html?ref=patric k.net - broken link)
taken from the other thread...This is YOU if you go through with just walking away

Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 PM

79 posts, read 331,318 times
If the people who live next door are renting the home you can sue the owner of the home for allowing this to happen and then for damages. It is the owner of that house who is responsible for the tenants, and for all those reasons they should not be allowed to live there. Here in Florida they can legally evict someone for disturbances like that. Don't lose your home, or the credit that you have built because of some unintelligent people.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:02 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,411,460 times
To the OP, I'm very sorry about your situation -- it is depressing, stressful and scary to live next to any bad neighbors, much less racist harassing ones. That said, the vast conspiracy against you by not only the neighbors but the owners, HOA, property management firm, police, and even the DA is rather incredulous to me. Besides the racism of the neighbors, what do the rest of those people have against you? In any event, I'd be interested in knowing why you decided to purchase the second home without selling the first. I know you were trying to get out quickly, but the purchase and mortgage approval process had to have taken some time. It seems that renting a house could have gotten you out more quickly. And were you only in the first house six months? In that case, probably anyone would lose money because the house has most likely lost some of its value in this market, plus having to pay commission, etc. And it's only been on the market a month -- much too soon to conclude it will never sell! I agree with your husband and the other posters who have advised against walking away from your financial responsibility.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:11 PM

315 posts, read 349,924 times
'Homeowner fraud exacerbates mortgage crisis | Business | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California (http://www.pe.com/business/local/stories/PE_News_Local_S_cheaters31.45b183a.html?ref=patric k.net - broken link)
taken from the other thread...This is YOU if you go through with just walking away'

Stop it. This is NOT them. The OP's situation is very different from the ones mentioned in the article who purchased too much home, sucked the HELOC and now buy and bail.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:31 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,875 times
I think the OP is just coming here for confirmation that it's okay and every thing will just be hunky-dory. No matter what the story, it's always the same sad song and dance.
Everyone is a victim. I don't buy it.

Newsflash: This has nothing to do with fair housing act.

A month on the market? Give me a break, that's no time at all.

(is the OP trolling???)

Old 09-02-2008, 07:51 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,210,403 times
Stop it. This is NOT them. The OP's situation is very different from the ones mentioned in the article who purchased too much home, sucked the HELOC and now buy and bail.

How exactly is their situation different? Regardless of their reason, they are looking to bail all the same. They simply wanted to walk on their mortgage.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:59 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,056,510 times
I think you should try all your options first before just walking away. Walking away i seemingly easy, but I think it's something that will always loom over your head. Especially with future financing, insurance rates, obtaining credit etc. Try your hardest to keep pushing on. Talking to the police, getting more documentation, recording conversations that can be held up in court. Save every penny since you'll have two mortgages indefinitely.

I do agree with others though, that I don't understand why you bought a second home before selling the first. Did you have money for a 2nd downpayment? If so you could have saved that money for the mortgage and maybe lawyer fees. It might have been easier to sleep at night w/o now going eyeballs in debt.

Best of luck to you but just keep pushing along. YOu will get thru it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate