Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:23 AM

80 posts, read 344,731 times

Advertisements

Totally regret relocating for a job and buying before our old, beautiful dream house sold (as it was our dream house, we figured it would be someone else's too. Didn't happen - it's been sitting nine months though at least we're working with a buyer finally). Hate our "new" ugly 70s transitional and miss our beautiful old brick and stone Tudor (leaded windows, slate roof) terribly. We thought we'd make money by selling an "expensive" house and moving to a more economical one and have more cash flow. Now we're living in an ugly house and minus tens of thousands of dollars. Horrible mistake, hit by the bubble bursting. We'd been so savvy up until now, too! Don't let this happen to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:18 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
I wish we had sold sooner.Like 2 yrs ago. We may put our house up this spring in an area that is/always was upper bracket but now a million dollar home can be considered a tear down. The homes in my hood look like hotels and I am hoping, in that price range, potential buyers will not be affected by this market. I have seen lovely homes, cherished , cared for and even remodeled to high standards torn down and replaced by huge monsters. I dont have much in common with people who live in such excess and gaudy glitz. This used to be an area of horse farms and oaks on rolling hills. I no longer see kids playing or riding bikes. I want to leave and raise my son in a different atmosphere. I never liked the Jonses. I also regret not buying a oceanfront condo on Gasperllo Island Florida for 130. I offered a lower price and refused to negotiate. It was sold immedietly and is now worth 5 x'x that.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:08 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
I regret having not been born sooner so that I could've taken advantage of the market before it became out of control. I also regret not being older to be more "trustworthy" in terms of "credit" so that I could get the great deals on loans and such.

Though, I'm about to see lower prices and take advantage of foreclosures.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Do any of you have regrets in real estate(not buying, selling, renting, etc)

1. Regret not selling your house on time and it depreciates or selling it before the boom and missing out on equity.
2. Regret not buying and became priced out.
3. Regret buying at the peak and seeing depreciation.
4. Regret buying at location A when location B was a better deal.
5. Regret renting instead of buying.
6. Other types of regrets?

I regret renting apartment while in college, could of bought it cheap and doubled my money. Rent was a waste and to this day I hate rent! I will never make the rent mistake again!

I regret on behalf of my parents for not selling this house for $750k, now its worth low $600s and still dropping because a price correction is underway. They are losing equity and could have relocated elsewhere and saved so much money.
No regrets what so ever, (well none in the last 10 years). I've managed to not only time the market right, but managed to buy below market, even when the prices were sky high. I've almost always bought at a 50% discount from the true values.

Only regret ws getting into rental properties, 10 years ago. Not because it wasnt good money, but because I lacked the capital at the time to manage properly.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:18 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
we have no regrets either! we bought before the prices in our community took off. we have been here 20 years now. made some major improvements in the past 5 to 6 years...new siding(hardie plank), new roof, leafguard gutters and landscaping to spruce up the outside and dated original landscape. then we moved inside, and renovated the kitchen and family room and had our basement finished with the owens corning basement system. we love and would not change a thing. if there was any regrets, it would be that when we first moved here, we didn't have any extra money to buy vacant land!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate