Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times

Advertisements

[I'll explain this as best I can. Financial types please forgive ignorance.]

JP Morgan is going to buy WaMu. As part of that, they're having a conference call tonight, presumably to explain the deal. They posted their presentation materials online, including a breakdown of projected "loss" on the home loans. They break it down by California, Florida and US; current to bottom and peak to bottom. They also break out differences in projections for no recession to severe recession.

Anyway, thought it might be useful and/or interesting:

Attached Thumbnails
JP Morgan's Home Price Projections-jpmorgan.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 04:03 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
Basically, they have no concluded the obvious. Prices are going to return to their inflation adjusted pre-bubble prices. If there is a bad recession, they they will return to their pre-bubble nominal prices.

Apparently the financial institutions just met Captain Obvious.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM

472 posts, read 1,710,036 times
Unless you can see the underlying data they used to get these numbers, it's impossible to analyze it. And another thing: the psychology of the market is so totally chaotic right now there's no way to properly weigh the numbers anyway. Everyone is too emotional, almost irrational. I'm still reeling from the idea that Henry Paulson got down on one knee before Nancy Pelosi. Bizarre.

If you want to look at some info that's really illuminating, take a look at the Wikipedia articles on financial panics in America. I was a history major in school, and I never knew we had been through so many of these in the past. The panics themselves are generally very short, just a couple of months of mass insanity, followed by an economic hangover that lasts anywhere from one to ten years. Behavioral economics people think it has something to do with human hature, and can't be totally prevented.

Anyway, IMO this JP Morgan chart looks like the typical EOTWAWKI stuff you get at the height of a panic. And you also have to question their motivation. JP Morgan is evidently in a position to pick up assets at cheap prices. Spreading doom and gloom is self-serving-- they benefit by keeping confidence down, as long as they can control the panic. It's an extremely risky play, but it's not the first time in history that the house of Morgan has tried to manipulate the markets. Nobody on Wall Street ever does anything with perfect honesty, or selfless kindness. It's about the money, always.

Here's your saltshaker.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post

Apparently the financial institutions just met Captain Obvious.
LOL Now THAT'S funny.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:41 PM

92 posts, read 364,744 times
Nobody REALLY knows what's going to happen. The JPMorgan projections look reasonable for a worst case scenario - given the massive increases in home prices over the last decade. And I would hope that any company taking over a risky asset like WAMU would consider the possibility of doom and gloom. Indeed, I would have been worried if JPMorgan would not have considered these possibilities!!

Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
Default I think those numbers are reasonable

For the deeper recession estimates, house prices going down 20% nationally before bottom seems reasonable to me.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:43 AM

718 posts, read 2,079,257 times
What happened to survival of the fittest? Smartest?

Old 09-27-2008, 11:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
The people who will be hurt are the ones that bought near the top of the bubble.
Their homes will not go back to those levels for a long, long time.

They shouldn't even try to sell in this market..yet there they are in the MLS in all their shining glory.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:29 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
Orange County home prices are destined for a huge fall, perhaps 40%+ from the current value. The economy here is terrible and this area is ground zero for all the exotic loans that were made in the last few years. If you look at all the listings on the MLS for OC right now you see that most of the listings are all underwater! These will just end up as REOs at fire sale prices sooner or later.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:18 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Thumbs up Good post!

Check your 'cookie jar' for rep cookies from me !

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
Unless you can see the underlying data they used to get these numbers, it's impossible to analyze it. And another thing: the psychology of the market is so totally chaotic right now there's no way to properly weigh the numbers anyway. Everyone is too emotional, almost irrational. I'm still reeling from the idea that Henry Paulson got down on one knee before Nancy Pelosi. Bizarre.

If you want to look at some info that's really illuminating, take a look at the Wikipedia articles on financial panics in America. I was a history major in school, and I never knew we had been through so many of these in the past. The panics themselves are generally very short, just a couple of months of mass insanity, followed by an economic hangover that lasts anywhere from one to ten years. Behavioral economics people think it has something to do with human hature, and can't be totally prevented.

Anyway, IMO this JP Morgan chart looks like the typical EOTWAWKI stuff you get at the height of a panic. And you also have to question their motivation. JP Morgan is evidently in a position to pick up assets at cheap prices. Spreading doom and gloom is self-serving-- they benefit by keeping confidence down, as long as they can control the panic. It's an extremely risky play, but it's not the first time in history that the house of Morgan has tried to manipulate the markets. Nobody on Wall Street ever does anything with perfect honesty, or selfless kindness. It's about the money, always.

Here's your saltshaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate