Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:50 PM

7 posts, read 19,069 times

Advertisements

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello, I have a problem and am looking for some clarifications on my rights. I purchased a house in Dec. of 07. We just had the AC go out on 10/08. We had the A/C service company come out and they said that the entire system should needs to be replaced due to a leaking heat pump valve and evaporator coil. They also said that they came out 9/07 and told the previous owner that the system was leaking but the owner told them to just fill it up and opted not to fix the problem. The owner did not disclose this problem on the sellers disclosure. It should be easy to prove the seller knew of this problem by obtaining the previous service record from the A/C company.

What rights do we have now and how would you suggest we proceed?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 09:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,495 times
It has apparently worked for most of the last year, and will the ac company, put that in writing. Did you purchase the Home buyers warranty? If so, that should cover the loss, and check with your agent, to see about the failure to dicslose. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:08 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,273 times
That's sound funny. Refrigeratant is a controlled substance and I didn't think that repair companies could just "fill 'er up" leaking systems. But perhaps they are using a type of refrigerant that is not controlled.

At any rate, you have a good case here for small claims court. Send a certified letter to the property owner (or call if you're real friendly and think you can work something out) and ask them to pay for the cost of repairs. If they decline, take them to small claims court.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
You need to follow the terms of your contract with regard to dispute resolution.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:39 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You need to follow the terms of your contract with regard to dispute resolution.
You don't tell me that that real estate agents are placing constrictive forms of dispute resolution into the contracts? Builders were often pushing binding arbritation on home buyers and I sincerely hope that real estate agents aren't going the same direction.

I just looked at my last contract, and thankfully, it doesn't have a section on dispute resolution.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,306,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
You don't tell me that that real estate agents are placing constrictive forms of dispute resolution into the contracts? Builders were often pushing binding arbritation on home buyers and I sincerely hope that real estate agents aren't going the same direction.

I just looked at my last contract, and thankfully, it doesn't have a section on dispute resolution.
Too bad for you then; In CA the section on dispute resolution allows for a mediation and arbitration procedure, but it's optional. If one likes to pay for attorneys without at first attempting mediation, it's like turning your pockets inside out and asking the attorney to tell you when he's finished emptying them.

I think it's a good thing to know in advance what the process will be if the wheels start coming off.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post

Actually real estate agents don't write up the contracts, the attorney's do. We're just allowed to fill them in.

Oregon contracts call for 1) small claims court if the amount falls under the threshold ($7500) in Oregon, 2) mediation, then 3) binding arbitration.

How is that restrictive? The attorneys worked hard to have a balanced buyer/seller contract that makes sense.

Buyers always have the right to strike that clause from the contract, but honestly why? I bet small claims could handle most of the real estate disputes. No attorney fees, $80 or so to file. It costs about $20,000 or so in legal fees to get to arbitration here, so it would have to be serious damage to make it worth it. Our contracts also allow prevailing parties to recoup attorney fees (ie, make sure you are right).

Old 10-07-2008, 05:07 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It costs about $20,000 or so in legal fees to get to arbitration here, so it would have to be serious damage to make it worth it.
Exactly. For some reason lots of folks think that arbitration is a way to cheaply resolve disputes. In truth, it is and it isn't. You may be able to avoid the really really big expenses of a long drawn out lawsuit, but it's still going to cost you a good deal of money.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
If one likes to pay for attorneys without at first attempting mediation, it's like turning your pockets inside out and asking the attorney to tell you when he's finished emptying them.
Assuming there is any money left after you pay all of those real estate commissions for something you can do yourself.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Homeowner View Post
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello, I have a problem and am looking for some clarifications on my rights. I purchased a house in Dec. of 07. We just had the AC go out on 10/08. We had the A/C service company come out and they said that the entire system should needs to be replaced due to a leaking heat pump valve and evaporator coil. They also said that they came out 9/07 and told the previous owner that the system was leaking but the owner told them to just fill it up and opted not to fix the problem. The owner did not disclose this problem on the sellers disclosure. It should be easy to prove the seller knew of this problem by obtaining the previous service record from the A/C company.

What rights do we have now and how would you suggest we proceed?

Thanks in advance
I assume you had the home inspected before you closed. Did your inspection report identify any evidence of prior leakage around the AC? Do you see any stains that appear to have been caused by prior leakage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate