Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:58 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,060 times

Advertisements

My neighbor just bought a beautiful house with cash (~140K) and walked away from their not so good and high priced current house (~300K mortgage). I guess their credit will be ruined for seven years. But they no longer have a mortgage. Will you do that if you have cash and a huge upside down mortgage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 02:00 PM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times
It's called buy and bail. There are others that have done this as well.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
For some it's the only way out. They have too much money to get help but not enough money to continue in their not-so-valued home. The banks/government will give them NO help if they have savings. These are the very people who the gov't/banks should be helping as they can afford a mortgage if it were re-worked; instead they are helping people who cannot afford their homes stay in their homes a while longer until eventually they come up for foreclosure again.

Can't say as I blame anyone anymore..the rules are broken. Every man for himself and get what you can while the going is good.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,647 times
I don't see why your neighbors didn't put the $140k into a refinance on their $300K mortgage. As I'm assuming the $300k house is an upgrade over the $140k house ???

If not, they've made their bed for the next seven years. Karma will take a bite of their ass along the way...

Old 02-20-2009, 02:14 PM

563 posts, read 1,026,055 times
So the mortgage holder of the 300K house can't put a lien on the 140K-cash house? Or maybe they put it in someone else's name?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:20 PM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnow View Post
So the mortgage holder of the 300K house can't put a lien on the 140K-cash house? Or maybe they put it in someone else's name?
No because most mortgage deeds are written as non-recourse loans, meaning that the ONLY collateral the lender has is the one house itself. Nothing else.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:29 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
My neighbor just bought a beautiful house with cash (~140K) and walked away from their not so good and high priced current house (~300K mortgage). I guess their credit will be ruined for seven years. But they no longer have a mortgage. Will you do that if you have cash and a huge upside down mortgage?
I would never get myself into such a stupid situation in the first place. So, no I wouldn't.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
For some it's the only way out. They have too much money to get help but not enough money to continue in their not-so-valued home. The banks/government will give them NO help if they have savings. These are the very people who the gov't/banks should be helping as they can afford a mortgage if it were re-worked; instead they are helping people who cannot afford their homes stay in their homes a while longer until eventually they come up for foreclosure again.

Can't say as I blame anyone anymore..the rules are broken. Every man for himself and get what you can while the going is good.
I am troubled by this on so many levels.

The only way out? Out of what? Out of a home that was inconvenient to own and into a nicer home?

With $140K in cash, these people were not in financial distress. Why would a lender, let alone Government, bail them out?

And unfortunately, this is legal, for now.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:27 PM

394 posts, read 1,049,571 times
This is disturbing. What ever happened to personal responsibility? I think the "buy and bail" is despicable - especially if they have $140K in cash handy. What about the neighbors in their former neighborhood - how might they suffer with having an abandoned house on their block. What they did seems very selfish to me and is indicative of what helped create this housing mess in the first place - people only looking out for themselves. I'm disgusted...

Old 02-20-2009, 03:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am troubled by this on so many levels.

The only way out? Out of what? Out of a home that was inconvenient to own and into a nicer home?

With $140K in cash, these people were not in financial distress. Why would a lender, let alone Government, bail them out?

And unfortunately, this is legal, for now.
MAM..yes that is true. But, and I'm playing devil's advocate here, if the government is going to bail out people, why not let anyone apply to be bailed out or have their mortgage renegotiated ? If people have no equity then what do they have to lose ? They get another place and they know it's only a few years until that foreclosure comes off their record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate