Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:53 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times

Advertisements

This morning the title co in Fl called us and said our buyer was given the go ahead to close tomorrow. What a day we had never expecting this so fast. The title co put the package together and faxed it over to us to print out and sign at 2 pm. Our NC realtor came over to notarize it and just before she came we found out we needed not one witness but two. Our realtor on her way here got a neighbor from down the street to do it and our landscaper was here so he was the 2nd. Bless our Realtors heart she didn't charge us a dime to notarize it. This all happened at 330 and then hubby and I had to go 30 min away to Fed x the package. It will be in FL by ten thirty am tomorrow and the buyers will close at 11 am. I feel that elephant almost off my back and after tomorrow he will be gone.
Crazy us we are thinking of buying a small town home or condo in FL so when hubby goes for his scans and doctors and every few weeks to the main work office we have a nice place to stay. I saw a brand new one for $119,000 and we could get them down in price. I am not sure about that and then we have a friend who is a realtor sending us short sales a few were priced at $50,000. I know that if we bought a condo or town house in FL it would be hard to sell but it would be less money to do that then go the motel route for a week every 4 -6 weeks.We might even be able to call FL our main residence and not pay state income tax. I am not sure if we want to play that game though. What are your thoughts about this?
BTW hubby has to stay with his oncologist since if it wasn't for him Hubby would be dead. The other doctors said go home and get your life in order but this doctor knew the right surgeon who said yes I can help you.
So every few months he has his check ups and then goes to his other doctors then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 06:03 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
This morning the title co in Fl called us and said our buyer was given the go ahead to close tomorrow. What a day we had never expecting this so fast. The title co put the package together and faxed it over to us to print out and sign at 2 pm. Our NC realtor came over to notarize it and just before she came we found out we needed not one witness but two. Our realtor on her way here got a neighbor from down the street to do it and our landscaper was here so he was the 2nd. Bless our Realtors heart she didn't charge us a dime to notarize it. This all happened at 330 and then hubby and I had to go 30 min away to Fed x the package. It will be in FL by ten thirty am tomorrow and the buyers will close at 11 am. I feel that elephant almost off my back and after tomorrow he will be gone.
Crazy us we are thinking of buying a small town home or condo in FL so when hubby goes for his scans and doctors and every few weeks to the main work office we have a nice place to stay. I saw a brand new one for $119,000 and we could get them down in price. I am not sure about that and then we have a friend who is a realtor sending us short sales a few were priced at $50,000. I know that if we bought a condo or town house in FL it would be hard to sell but it would be less money to do that then go the motel route for a week every 4 -6 weeks.We might even be able to call FL our main residence and not pay state income tax. I am not sure if we want to play that game though. What are your thoughts about this?
BTW hubby has to stay with his oncologist since if it wasn't for him Hubby would be dead. The other doctors said go home and get your life in order but this doctor knew the right surgeon who said yes I can help you.
So every few months he has his check ups and then goes to his other doctors then.

Lorrie, that is great news...hopefully your good luck rubs off on us.. last week we had THREE separate buyers who LOVED our house..we had dropped the price $20,000. I was gone to my son's in Sacramento but hubby said the one couple, who btw is our agents clients, so less commission, came through on saturday and sunday, for a total of over 2 hours. drew diagrams of the rooms, blah. well they headed back home to Salt Lake yesterday, they are 'thinking' about it. I am at my wits end. We seem to get so close, we just don't get that offer. I don't get it.

Anyway, about buying a condo. Wow, I think I would hold off. I dunno, I don't know Florida real estate, I know that when this place sells, we are taking a mortgage break. Of course if you can pay cash and get a screamin deal it might be worth it...at the least you could always use it as a rental property? isn't there tax advantages to having rental properties? Just guessing...

let us know how it all comes down tomorrow...very happy for you!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Lorrie, that is great news...hopefully your good luck rubs off on us.. last week we had THREE separate buyers who LOVED our house..we had dropped the price $20,000. I was gone to my son's in Sacramento but hubby said the one couple, who btw is our agents clients, so less commission, came through on saturday and sunday, for a total of over 2 hours. drew diagrams of the rooms, blah. well they headed back home to Salt Lake yesterday, they are 'thinking' about it. I am at my wits end. We seem to get so close, we just don't get that offer. I don't get it.

Anyway, about buying a condo. Wow, I think I would hold off. I dunno, I don't know Florida real estate, I know that when this place sells, we are taking a mortgage break. Of course if you can pay cash and get a screamin deal it might be worth it...at the least you could always use it as a rental property? isn't there tax advantages to having rental properties? Just guessing...

let us know how it all comes down tomorrow...very happy for you!
Dogman it seems like you have a good chance to have a buyer.I hope so. I feel like we all live in a state of anticipation. You are right about FL and I don't think we will do it. I would if we were in our thirties and then could wait this market out but we are not so we will use a motel. Hubby reminded me that the CO would pay for it since he would be going to the main office when we were down there.
I really could not take a mortgage break. That would remind me of when we were young and broke and had to rent and follow the landlords rules. Plus we have three dogs and that would cause a problem. Our mortgage now is $900 a month and we have never owned a home that was less then $1500 a month and that goes back to the late 70's but it was also in CA and the interest rates at that time were 12%. Gotta take that back our 1st home that was also in FL was $350 a month but we only lived there for 10 mos before moving to CA. Then also we couldn't sell our FL home and ended up like now with almost two mortgage payments but this time it was 5 mos with two mortgage payments. In 78 we were young and laughed about any bank giving us another mortgage. This time we were not laughing.
I so hope our good luck rubs off on you
Lorrie

Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times
Oh! Oh! Oh! ... I gotta wait for it. Please post tomorrow when you've past the finish line!

About the condo (second residence, right?), I would be a bit of chicken with that. Any chance you could strike up some sort of a deal with the motels in the area as a "frequent guest?"

Old 04-22-2008, 07:44 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
lorriem, wishing you the best.

dogmom, sounds like we're in the same boat. I've had several people come for 2nd looks and never heard again. I think the market here is so flooded, they want to see every house before deciding.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:45 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,613 times
WOO HOO!!!!!! Almost there!!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 PM

Thanks, Lorrie, I hope your luck rubs off on us too. it's so frustrating to get 'this close'. Of course of all those folks last week an offer could just come in out of the blue...wouldn't that be nice! I try to keep positive, have good days and bad days..

You and hubby must be about the same age as we are...we bought our first home in so cal in 1978...our payment was $400 a month, i thought was gonna die...we went from $150 a month rent to that...i was trying to be a stay at home mom to our first son..wow it was tight but we did it and you know what, I think those early years were the best in our lives. It was just a simpler time, I guess. We stayed in that house until 1997, had re fi'ed a couple times and the payment at that time was around $1200. of course this was including taxes, etc...what a deal...we moved to a bigger house in a better area then, our payment went up to $1600. I was working then, but not making a ton, but with both of us we figured we could do it. We did, until 2003, hubby retired, we sold that place for double what we paid for it. that was our first mistake, selling it. We moved to a new house near the CA desert, it was nice but too windy and we had to landscape the new place. We hung in there a year and decided to sell and move to NorCal near the younger son, we wanted 'property'. Well, our home on 3 acres there was costing us $2900 a month..catch was my folks were supposed to sell heir place in Palm Springs and come with us..did not happen and we were getting behind, even though we loved it there. so we ended up selling that and coming here to Southern Utah, thought it would be the answer. The folks did end up coming here, that lasted a little over 2 years they are back in Palm Springs..our payment here is $1400 and when the folks left we lost half our payment. this place is too big, too expensive for 2 of us. thus the need to sell. We can make it if we HAVE to, probably will have to rent out our little casita..but truth be known we just need to sell and be done with this chapter in our lives. Not sure what the next move is, we have a teeny mobile home in Western WA state, we will take the dogs, put the goods in storage and head there for a few months to plot our next and hopefully final move. We are too old and decrepit now to keep doing this.

My life in a nutshell...get a good night's sleep for that closing tomorrow...
Barb

Old 04-22-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
lorriem, wishing you the best.

dogmom, sounds like we're in the same boat. I've had several people come for 2nd looks and never heard again. I think the market here is so flooded, they want to see every house before deciding.

Where are you located? Its not so flooded here, we are in an area that has mostly custom homes...but it's bad I agree..obviously, we aren't getting those offers we need. Does your agent follow up with their agent? Ours is very good about that, but hate to keep bugging him..but we want a sale NOW!

Venting..sorry!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Oh! Oh! Oh! ... I gotta wait for it. Please post tomorrow when you've past the finish line!

About the condo (second residence, right?), I would be a bit of chicken with that. Any chance you could strike up some sort of a deal with the motels in the area as a "frequent guest?"
Almost there. The title co checked today to make sure their money was all there and it is so I take that as a good sign plus she had said she needed to be in the house by Friday. I saw no way since FHA had to look over the banks OK and that was a few days ago but she and her broker got it done. That is why I was so surprised when we got the call this morning saying she was set to close tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:29 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
It will be in FL by ten thirty am tomorrow and the buyers will close at 11 am. I feel that elephant almost off my back and after tomorrow he will be gone.
Crazy us we are thinking of buying a small town home or condo in FL so when hubby goes for his scans and doctors and every few weeks to the main work office we have a nice place to stay. I know that if we bought a condo or town house in FL it would be hard to sell but it would be less money to do that then go the motel route for a week every 4 -6 weeks.
Congratulations on being almost there!

Tough call on whether to buy a town home or condo. Motels can be expensive, but you should talk with the managers of some convenient motels and ask what they would charge you for being a "regular customer" every 4-6 weeks. You should be able to get a significant discount this way. I'd be sure to get one with a micro/fridge combination or kitchenette. One great thing about motels - you only have to bring your clothes, and some drinks/food if you want them, but there's no maintenance, no taxes, no cleaning, no worrying about the place while you're gone or being saddled with an extra piece of real estate if your situation changes.

On the other hand, if you find the right place at a bargain price, it could be nice to have a 2nd home - more comfortably home than a motel, with the possibility of being a rental property or a good investment if you can buy low now and sell high at a later date.

Either way, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate