Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 06:47 PM

155 posts, read 377,745 times

Advertisements

Please answer (A) for Seller (B) for Buyer

I am both selling my current home and will be purchasing a home in a few weeks.

What are the most important factors including what is in the HUD-1 to look for when Closing?

Are most Title Companies agreeable if you want legal counsel with you?

Why do Buyers and Sellers go at different times?

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbless View Post
Please answer (A) for Seller (B) for Buyer

I am both selling my current home and will be purchasing a home in a few weeks.

What are the most important factors including what is in the HUD-1 to look for when Closing?

Are most Title Companies agreeable if you want legal counsel with you?

Why do Buyers and Sellers go at different times?

Thanks!!!!
Do you not have a RE Agent?
Closing statements are all pretty basic and after you've looked at a few they are easy to explain.
The Closing person should take the time and go over the HUD with you.
No problem on the legal counsel but very few people use them.

There are several reasons for separate closings.
Sometimes the transactions don't go smoothly and there can be hard feelings.
Mostly, there is personal and confidential info that the other party does not need to know.
We do not use closing attorneys here like up north. They like to have everyone at the table. No need for that here.
A seller only needs about 30 minutes and a buyer needs 60-90 minutes. No need to make the seller hang around.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:38 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,417,745 times
For the vast majority of closings I've done here in Michigan, both Buyers and Sellers have been at the closing. But here, the Buyer picks up the keys and receives the Deed to the property (although the title company usually takes it in to get recorded). There is really no need for the Seller to be at the closing provided they have completed all of the paperwork ahead of time--including executing the Deed. But most Sellers like to be at the closing so they can pick up their check. Again, this is more how we do things in Michigan.

I suspect it's the same everywhere that you can bring whomever you want to the closing, including legal counsel.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:36 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,213,992 times
For the record OP was originally in the Texas forum and lives in TX where Buyer and Seller do not close at the same time.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:25 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
Things to look for on HUD 1 statement:

Verify closing costs have been split according to the contract.
Verify there are no expenses on the HUD1 that shouldn't be there. It is usually corrected before being finalized, but I"ve seen costs for mobile notary that wasn't done, costs for pest inspections that were paid outside closing, etc.
If you're getting a loan, verify the closing costs and credits match what your lender promised...though prorated costs like interest, taxes, and payoff will vary based on the actual date of close.

My experience has been that the closing company always overestimates the prorated costs by a few hundred dollars. That way they can make sure they have enough money in hand to close, then they send you a check for the overage after all has been finalized.

If you bring legal counsel and they want to read everything while there, it will be a long close and an expensive meeting. Better to get a copy of all documents you will sign before the closing and have your attorney review them prior to close. Ask your attorney which items are needed - the preliminary title report, the deed, and the purchase contract are the ones I've had requested most often, and you can get them to your attorney long before the close.

TX is not a state where legal cousel is customary for RE transactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate