Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 PM

42 posts, read 73,595 times

Advertisements

Forgot to answer middle-aged mom's questions...the home is a single family, is in Charlotte, NC and we'll be in it about 10 years, most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 11:30 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default rent, then buy

I would rent together for a year maybe two and then buy. Your finances will be more solid and prices will be lower. You should not rush into buying a house, especially in a declining market.

Humanoid is right, you should wait to buy. Rent first and then buy.

It is great that you can afford the place solely based on your income but I think renting for at least the first year together is better. You don't want to buy and see your down payment eorde with the equity in your home as values decline.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:00 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,939 times
I know how you're feeling and I feel like I should chime in. Everyone is going to tell you to wait because it's probably the most adult thing to do - "wait". I've been "waiting" for over 2 years and frankly, I'm sick of it and want a house!! haha. The only thing I would be worried about is what if you find something you LOVE even more than this house closer to time? And is the house looking that you love or are you sure you LOVE this house b/c once you own it, there's no more house looking for 10 years or so. The other thing is would the owners be willing to stay? Do you know their situation? Maybe they would do a possible rent back (if they are trustworthy) or would allow you to put a deposit on the house to hold it until you're ready to move in. Otherwise, I don't know b/c you wouldn't want to leave the house empty that long. But I say if you love the house and want it, then figure out a way to go for it. You only live once!!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:45 PM

84 posts, read 317,254 times
Why not offer significantly less than the ask/market and try to get a deal of a lifetime...

Even if prices drop another 15% you will be way ahead of the game... There are some really desperate sellers out there... Do your homework and get a great deal...

I dont understand people who says dont buy - "buy, buy, buy"... But buy under market.....

Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 PM

42 posts, read 73,595 times
Thanks to the couple people who listened to my actual post! Again, I'm not asking if I should buy now or not, I'm asking if we could somehow buy in November/December but not move in to the house until March or April.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
It's really up to the sellers to give you that answer. Anything is possible. You just have to see if it's doable.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:18 AM

620 posts, read 1,951,362 times
If you really love the house ( which is sounds like you do) and it "feels" right, then go for it. You can put an offer in and see what happens. As a seller, we just took a longer closing date from our buyers, ( over two months). We weren't thrilled, but we had to do it if we wanted the house sold.

You could possibly put in an offer and ask for the the latest possible closing date and then go from there. You would most likely get a counter offer which means the house is still on the table for you.

You never ever know in this market. The sellers might not HAVE to move right away. They MIGHT want to stay as long as possible. YOU NEVER KNOW THE OUTCOME UNTIL YOU TRY!

The only thing is` the sellers might not come down that much in price if you are asking for a late closing date.

If you don't put in an offer then you may always ask yourself "What if?"

Good luck with your decision!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:44 PM

84 posts, read 317,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp0808 View Post
Thanks to the couple people who listened to my actual post! Again, I'm not asking if I should buy now or not, I'm asking if we could somehow buy in November/December but not move in to the house until March or April.
Sorry

Just put a March closing date on the contract... Seller may not agree but you could try....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate