Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Homes sale: foreclosure, real estate, realtor, bank owned homes, expired listing.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:07 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times

Advertisements

September annualized rate of sales is over 5 million units. Year over year sales numbers increased.
Foreclosure and Short Sales make up a large portion of the sales. So banks are setting prices.
Inventories are down.
Most sales were owner occupants not investors.
Maybe some good news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 08:10 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
September annualized rate of sales is over 5 million units. Year over year sales numbers increased.
Foreclosure and Short Sales make up a large portion of the sales. So banks are setting prices.
Inventories are down.
Most sales were owner occupants not investors.
Maybe some good news?
If anyone is betting on a "V" type recovery than I think those individuals are sorely mistaken....

Anytime inventory goes down and sales increase its a step in the right direction.

I fear that we will not "recover" for several years however, so the news is pretty much "noise" IMO.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:28 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times
I really don't know how to read this. On the one hand, sales are up and usually that would be an indicator of at least the beginnings of a turnaround.

But ...

The inventory numbers being down is pretty misleading. Just as an example, one of the realtors I check in with from time to time tells me she's waiting on 25 bank owned homes to be listed.

So ... obviously, those homes haven't been counted in the inventory numbers yet.

I see the same thing in my foreclosure database. The amount of inventory out there that hasn't hit the market yet is staggering so ...

Anything is possible but I'm not by any means convinced we're near the bottom yet.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:36 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I really don't know how to read this. On the one hand, sales are up and usually that would be an indicator of at least the beginnings of a turnaround.

But ...

The inventory numbers being down is pretty misleading. Just as an example, one of the realtors I check in with from time to time tells me she's waiting on 25 bank owned homes to be listed.

So ... obviously, those homes haven't been counted in the inventory numbers yet.

I see the same thing in my foreclosure database. The amount of inventory out there that hasn't hit the market yet is staggering so ...

Anything is possible but I'm not by any means convinced we're near the bottom yet.
You hit it right on the head...

Things still are bleak IMO until we get some "long term" news that really has some teeth in it...

Old 10-24-2008, 08:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
If the property is not listed, it's not a part of the headcount. The good news is that FSBO and unmarketed foreclosed properties have never been a part of these numbers.

The other side of the story is that prices have declined about 9% comparing 9/08 to 9/07.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

If anyone is betting on a "V" type recovery than I think those individuals are sorely mistaken....
For the last 18 months, most home owners in my area convinced themselves a V-shaped recovery, is right around the corner. Things will pick up right after:

The Holidays
Super Bowl Sunday
Winter Break
Spring Break
When the weather warms up
4th of July
When the weather cools off
After the election

(Repeat as necessary)

Old 10-24-2008, 12:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The devil is in the details:

Home sales see biggest gain since July 2003 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081024/bs_nm/us_usa_economy_housing_7 - broken link)

"Most, if not all, the rise in sales is due to vulture investors buying cheap foreclosed homes, but all sales reduce inventory," said Ian Shepherdson, the chief U.S. economist at High Frequency Economics in Valhalla, New York."

Old 10-24-2008, 12:52 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
I'm a buyer, and I've had my eye on my local market since early 2008. Lots of the folks in my area don't need to sell. All summer, there were a surprising amount of houses that had 7 - 15% annual appreciation built into the asking price. I guess folks that didn't sell immediately after the multiple-year double-digit price increases now want to retroactively realize those gains.

If inventories are down, I'm betting that unmotivated/unwilling sellers are just pulling their homes off the market. People often don't "get the picture" that the economy is in trouble until their 401k's drop 40%, you know?

Old 10-24-2008, 01:28 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Realtor Post, forgets 9% decline in price

I highly respect middle-aged mom. She is a realtor who says it like it is.

FL Bob,

You totally forgot to include the 9% reduction in prices or that a large part of the properties being bought were foreclosures bought by vulture investors (I hope to become one of these in the next 12-24 months).

Inventories are still at 9.9 months, still too high. Until inventories get below 6 months will we see any sort of price bottom and then recovery, most likely l-shaped, not v-shaped.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
NAR is calling bottom (again).

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Funny thing though..if you go to the bottom of the article there is someone from National Association of Homebuilders saying we're not even nearing a bottom.

Well that should make everyone happy..we're at the bottom AND we're not at the bottom all in one article
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate