Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:15 PM

355 posts, read 1,479,078 times

Advertisements

Thought the folks here might enjoy this great article on MSNBC on sellers still in denial, after all this time. "But MY house is different!"

Homeowner denial: My home is gaining value - Economy in Turmoil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 09:33 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,787 times
Great article.

It's painful to look at the listings every day and see homes sitting for months and months and months, slowly chipping away at their prices (or worse, the ones in MAJOR denial, not lowering at all).

As potential buyers, there are homes we see that if they had been listed at today's price in April, we would've bought them. But this isn't April anymore, is it.

Tragic.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:08 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,617 times
I like to browse through printed housing listings and I always spot a good number of overpriced houses and think to myself, "They're never going to sell that one."

Old 11-11-2008, 06:51 AM

525 posts, read 1,297,792 times
You know what makes it hard, too, is hearing from friends and family who have bucked the trend - my best friend in Boston just sold her condo that they only bought about a year ago for 3k OVER asking price. They didn't even lose any money. I was shocked. Then there are even people here on city-data, like the lady in Durham, the lady in New Jersey, etc. who are very confident they will sell quickly, you almost feel bad for them, and then they DO sell quickly! It's like wow, if it can happen to them, why not me? Hoping that the average person is going to put their house up for a 100k loss on the first day is probably futile. No matter how hard you try, you can't fight human nature.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Very good article and so true. I've seen it time and time again. We sold our house in FL 3 years ago at the peak and we told friends and neighbors to sell, pocket the money, and they could buy back in a few years with money in the bank. They thought we were nuts, including our realtor. Now 3 years later all that "potential" profit has been wiped out and they still don't get it.

The only reason why houses went so high was the types of loans being given out in the first place. All people cared about was "what is my monthly payment"?. They didn't care if it went up because "the equity in their home was going to keep going up and of course they would also make more money at their jobs over the next few years". People started living farther and farther away from reality and they didn't shop for value. Any time something goes up that fast it will come down.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
YNo matter how hard you try, you can't fight human nature.
That goes for both sellers who think their house is worth more than the market will bear AND buyers with unrealistic expectations who think that lowballing is the thing to do and get mad when sellers won't give them their houses. Human nature in both cases.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:41 AM

91 posts, read 374,571 times
~considers printing this out, and mailing it to some clients~

Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That goes for both sellers who think their house is worth more than the market will bear AND buyers with unrealistic expectations who think that lowballing is the thing to do and get mad when sellers won't give them their houses. Human nature in both cases.
Only time tells who is delusional in these cases. Certainly, we've read plenty of stories in these forums of sellers who passed on an "unrealistic" lowball offer, only to ultimately sell for less later.

We've also read stories of sellers who pass on the lowball and get a better price.

I think it boils down to finding a realtor with a good current sales record and trusting their judgment on what your house is worth.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
It's been called " irrational exuberance", unduly escalated asset values, which become subject to unexpected and prolonged contractions .....

This term has been attributed to Greenspan back in the late 50's and is the name of one of Robert Schiiler's ( Case- Shiller) books ( 2000). While the book is about the stock market, the principles are applicable to any bubble.

New Page

Old 11-11-2008, 09:29 AM

365 posts, read 1,252,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
You know what makes it hard, too, is hearing from friends and family who have bucked the trend - my best friend in Boston just sold her condo that they only bought about a year ago for 3k OVER asking price. They didn't even lose any money. I was shocked. Then there are even people here on city-data, like the lady in Durham, the lady in New Jersey, etc. who are very confident they will sell quickly, you almost feel bad for them, and then they DO sell quickly! It's like wow, if it can happen to them, why not me? Hoping that the average person is going to put their house up for a 100k loss on the first day is probably futile. No matter how hard you try, you can't fight human nature.
Wow, can I relate to your post. Our condo—in a historical building, architecturally significant, blah blah blah, in a major US city— was on the market for more than two years. We did everything; when our realtor said our den should be a breakfast room, we made it into a breakfast room. When she said we should have granite in the kitchen, we installed granite, etc. And we came down $130K in price before it was sold. During those two years, my friend in Wichita, KS, was preparing her house for market and very confident. I kept thinking: "Yeah, well, just wait. Your turn is coming."

She sold it in two weeks. Received two offers; one full price for cash. I am very happy for her, but I wish some of that had rubbed off on us!

And...the right real estate agent is key. We changed agents a couple of times in those two years. Find the one(s) in your community who are winning the big sales awards; they know what they're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate