Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:56 PM

36 posts, read 118,820 times

Advertisements

We've been looking and looking and have finally decided we don't want to be 3 miles from the neighborhood we like for 20-25% less than the prices in the neighborhood we like. We want to be in the neighborhood we like. Unfortunately prices are about 15% (100K) more than we want to spend...we go round and round about whether we should make a lowball offer or just sit and wait for the prices to drop some more. It seems like there is much less on the market than a few months ago (or it could be that we have seen absolutely everything so it just seems like less). There are very few comps for the past 3 months, but for the closest thing to comps, some stuff in the neighborhood is selling for 100K less, some is selling at about asking depending on the age & size of the house. We are so ready to be settled, but confused about whether or not to insult someone with a lowball offer or sit and wait to see what happens with the market.

I know this is a decision that only we can make, but I just thought I'd see what others think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 03:58 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,738,618 times
You have several choices.....

1. Lower your champagne tastes a little bit

2. If you don't want to settle. Wait till prices drop more (which they will)

3. Tighten your belt dramatically and save every penny until you build a bigger down payment

Old 11-13-2008, 04:05 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,847,332 times
I say make an offer. You may be surprised. If it doesn't work, no harm no foul. If the property is still on the market for less later, you can try again. Sellers would like to see offers and see if they can put it to bed.

Shelly

Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
No well researched offer is an "insult". Do your homework, present offers with data and it may be welcome.

If the comps support something $100K less than is being asked, and the sellers want/need to sell, your offer may be a godsend.

I am confused as to your statement about
Quote:
...for the closest thing to comps, some stuff in the neighborhood is selling for 100K less, some is selling at about asking depending on the age & size of the house.
You realize a comp SHOULD BE of similar age, size and condition to the house you are evaluating. If you send over some "supporting data" with an offer and those sales are for houses of worse age, size or condition then they are NOT comps! THAT could be an insult...

They may still be valid 'data points' and point you toward a way to get into the neighborhood you want, IF you accept a house of similar 'age, size & condition'. Clear?

Old 11-13-2008, 04:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,437,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
No well researched offer is an "insult". Do your homework, present offers with data and it may be welcome.

If the comps support something $100K less than is being asked, and the sellers want/need to sell, your offer may be a godsend.
I think this may be where a lot of buyers get confused when they submit lowball offers.

You can't just pick a number that you'd like to pay and expect a positive result. You have to have comps - real comps, that are very similar in size, condition, age, features - that support your lowball offer. And you have to hope (or know) that the seller's agent hasn't provided them with comps that support their asking price.

In other words, do your homework (with the assistance of your agent) and if you're going to lowball, make it a lowball based on reality, not wishful thinking. Just as the seller should set their price based on reality, not wishful thinking, come to that.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:22 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,758,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You can't just pick a number that you'd like to pay and expect a positive result. You have to have comps - real comps, that are very similar in size, condition, age, features - that support your lowball offer. And you have to hope (or know) that the seller's agent hasn't provided them with comps that support their asking price.
I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying here.

Especially when the market is trending downward, why must the buyer use comparable past sales to support their offer?

If we all played strictly by this rule, could prices ever go down? Wouldn't they would always have to go up, since there would be never be pioneers pushing downward in a bear market?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:41 PM

not necessarily..... if you see a downward trend in the comps, you should be able to call it out and identify. And if you know that area, and neighborhood specifically you will know if the appraisers are taking off for down trending market.

You have the numbers help make your case. I think anything you can do (or I can do for you) to take out the emotionality of the business deal is a good thing. Now you have a good case, and perhaps, lessen the impact to the sellers. At the end of the day, they will accept or not as thier circumstances dictate... but you have given the best argument and trying not cuase an emtional response like "i'm insulted"

shelly

Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,758,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
not necessarily..... if you see a downward trend in the comps..
I'm just saying that there could never be a downward trend in the comps, if everyone played by this rule. So it seems like a questionable rule.

I am not a Realtor®, though, some maybe some other Realtors® can tell me what's commonplace among Realtors®

Last edited by le roi; 11-13-2008 at 05:54 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 05:57 PM

Well conversely, there could never be an upward trend in the comps according to this idea. Because one would only pay what had been paid!! : )

But we know that the market is either going up or sliding down, and you use the information to your best outcome. If homes sold in the last 3 to 6 months went for more and more... that is an upward trend. If the homes sold went for less and less... that is downward. Hard to argue with what the numbers say.

I just had met with an appraiser today on a short sale we have an offer on. This is the sellers bank who wants the appraisal to make sure it is listed right and selling right. Even the appraiser said the same thing... and right now she basically can't get a selling price for more than anything CURRENTLY listed in the neighborhood. Banks aren't allowing it. That is definately downward trending. HOWEVER, even she said that some neighborhoods are automatically downward trend and others not.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,437,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying here.

Especially when the market is trending downward, why must the buyer use comparable past sales to support their offer?

If we all played strictly by this rule, could prices ever go down? Wouldn't they would always have to go up, since there would be never be pioneers pushing downward in a bear market?

Well, the comps include information beyond just price. They include information about average days on market, inventory that is currently on the market (very generally, 6 months or less of inventory indicates a seller's market, 6 months or more indicates a buyer's market), which of the houses that sold for $100,000 less than the ones that didn't was a short sale or a foreclosure, and things of that nature. Information that is needed to establish if they're real comps and also which way the market is headed (using a lot of that information). Information that you need to back up your offer.

On average, over time, though, you're right, real estate does tend to go up over the very long haul, with a lot of up and down along the way. Probably because we're always making more people and not making a whole lot more land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate