Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 06:47 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times

Advertisements

We are house hunting and someone told us that houses on corner lots generally have higher property taxes than houses not located on corner lots. I Googled this and found arguments on both sides (some people saying it is true and others saying it is a myth).

Does anyone have a definite answer and an authoritative source? It would be a lot of work to just start looking up property taxes on a bunch of properties to figure it out.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 06:54 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
We are house hunting and someone told us that houses on corner lots generally have higher property taxes than houses not located on corner lots. I Googled this and found arguments on both sides (some people saying it is true and others saying it is a myth).

Does anyone have a definite answer and an authoritative source? It would be a lot of work to just start looking up property taxes on a bunch of properties to figure it out.

Thanks!
Only a local can answer that. In general the answer is yes because corner lots historically are worth more money than interior lots.

there are also places that use complex formulas based on the cost of reproducing such a house in a specific year. The formula may include a kicker for a corner lot.

Any authoritative source will be local.

I would ignore it. It is never a big factor in my experience.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Back east nearly everyone had 50 X 100 lots where I lived. The corner lots all were 60 X 100 which are just a tad bigger. Of course the townships took full advantage of this by charging a little extra taxes on the larger lots.

Some towns also assess value based on road frontage. So rather then having the front 50' frontage you now also have the 100' side frontage.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:05 PM

10 posts, read 92,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post

Thanks!

Yes; It depends on your area.

Some cities compute the double street frontage as exactly that: double. Others might charge slightly more than for regular frontages and yet others compute it as a regular midblock home.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
In my area, corner lots tend to be larger than interior lots which is why they are assigned a higer assessed value.

The tax assessor does not assign a greater or lesser value to lot locations. Size matters.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:27 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
I hope taxes aren't too much more. I never knew that more could be charged on corner lots. I thought it was the area the home was in and the size of the home. Now I am paying attention as we have an offer in on a house on a corner lot.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:40 AM

406 posts, read 1,359,613 times
i have a multifamily on two corner lots. taxes are outrageous, but all taxes here are outrageous. interesting topic i have never considered this before, i will try to find some comps, but i doubt there is anything close to what i have in town. weird property to deal with from the start. not worth the hassle IMHO. but still interesting...

Old 12-30-2008, 01:43 AM

406 posts, read 1,359,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I hope taxes aren't too much more. I never knew that more could be charged on corner lots. I thought it was the area the home was in and the size of the home. Now I am paying attention as we have an offer in on a house on a corner lot.
my thoughts as well. i honestly think it has to do with square footage of the home. the footprint is usually consistent in a subdivision or neighborhood, hence the taxes are usually similar. i need to know now... will be researching this...

Old 12-30-2008, 06:36 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
There are two issues with corner lots and property taxes. The first; property value. In most areas this would be determined by a property appraiser in the tax office. The values would be set based on sales history. If people pay more for homes on corner lots then the value would be higher thus the taxes would be higher. My experience is that corner lots do not resale for more money.
The second issue relative to taxes is capital improvement assessments. Improvement such as repaving, sidewalks, sewer, and water infrastructure. These assessments are frequently priced out by frontage. Since corner lots often have twice the frontage their assessments can be higher. Many municipalities do see the inequity in this and bill on a per unit basis.

On smaller platted lots corner lots are usually the least desirable. The lot has road setback issues on two sides, much more front yard than back yard, and three rear neighbors instead of one.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:18 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
my thoughts as well. i honestly think it has to do with square footage of the home. the footprint is usually consistent in a subdivision or neighborhood, hence the taxes are usually similar. i need to know now... will be researching this...
Ok it will be interesting to see what you find out. The lot of the home we are looking at is much bigger than the other lots around it, but then some of the homes on the smaller lots around this house are bigger in square footage. It's very confusing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate