Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:20 PM

202 posts, read 704,680 times

Advertisements

I just had a realtor come take a look at my house for a home evaluation. My husband and I have spent the last year making our house look better, so of course the realtor immediately focuses on the texture that is on most of the ceilings and some of the walls. This was all there when we bought the house and we didn't think twice about it. But he says that people will eliminate the house altogether because of it. I am depressed. So the new walkway and driveway, refaced kitchen cabinets and totally new bathroom, etc. won't matter because of my walls?? I know there is a price for every house but now I am nervous about what sort of numbers he will come back with. I guess I just didn't see this coming...that's how often I think about the texture on the walls and ceilings. I'm beginning to wonder why we bothered trying to improve the house at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 03:46 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
If you're talking about the so-called popcorn ceilings, yes, many people don't want them as that popcorn is a PITA to remove.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:53 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,796,550 times
You bought it, didn't you? I don't like perfectly flat walls and ceilings, so a nice texturing job would be a plus in my book.

The agent might be looking for excuses to get you to put it up with a price low enough that he'll be likely to sell it very quickly. When houses were selling like hotcakes, agents didn't mind pricing them higher and waiting for the payoff, but in a down market, many are hungry for commissions and will try to get you to price the house so it will sell tomorrow regardless of whether you could have put another $10-20K by waiting a few weeks. You have to keep their conflicts of interest in mind when you listen to their advice.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:01 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
In southern states, textured walls is the norm. I saw a "flat" wall for the first time a couple of years ago and immediately thought someone removed wallpaper and didn't take the time to texture the wall to make it look better. I didn't know "flat" walls were "the thing" in St. Louis.

Popcorn ceilings is a different thing. VERY common in older homes, and about 50/50 in newer homes, but I don't see how textured walls will hurt your sale. The texture looks nice and usually adds some depth to the room.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:30 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,647 times
You'd be hard pressed in my neck of the woods to find ceilings that weren't textured (I live in GA). And it's usually the popcorn or these God awful starbursts that I am staring at right now. I prefer the popcorn texture over the starbursts. But I don't pay much attention to ceilings.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:32 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
I probably would not even notice unless there were large cracks or water stains. Not a negative feature in my book.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:35 PM

297 posts, read 743,489 times
I wouldn't even notice it. I don't understand why people hate them so much.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:24 PM

202 posts, read 704,680 times
Thanks for making me feel a little better. I have heard the term "popcorn ceilings" but I don't think that is what I have, because there is nothing popcorn-looking about them. They (same as the walls) are rough to the touch, with tiny little "mountains" and "ridges". The house was built in 1961. Maybe that was the "in" thing then.

So it sounds like people from elsewhere in the country would have less problem with my walls and ceilings than CT folk will. Ah well, here's hoping for some transplants. I will be getting evaluations from two other realtors and will see what they say about it.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:32 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,908 times
I don't see why anyone would care that much about the walls.. it sounds cool to me!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Find a new agent. Textured walls/ceilings are not deal breakers IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate