Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Hmm... journalism 101 was a long time ago, but I seem to remember presenting both sides of an issue worked to credibility rather than against it.

Granted that's normally in the context of one article, not individual pieces taking different perspectives; but she gave both sides equal consideration and space.

I have no doubt you'll find folks who adamantly agree (or disagree) with each of these perspectives. But I'm also willing to bet most of us fall somewhere in between and realize it's not a one size fits all issue.

Sheesh, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone more bearish than I am when it comes to my local RE market, but that doesn't mean I automatically discount everything in the "Five reasons to buy a home this year!" article, especially as they relate to other locations.

Now you want to talk about credibility isues... I caught a Lawrence Yun interview yesterday. Frightening!
*told you I was a RE bear
And my guess is had I posted my original response on the OP's "other" thread with the link to the article by the same author //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...home-year.html, I would've gotten no flack whatsoever. Yeah, that's what I thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
And my guess is had I posted my original response on the OP's "other" thread with the link to the article by the same author //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...home-year.html, I would've gotten no flack whatsoever. Yeah, that's what I thought

Right back at ya... because you'd be wrong.

Quote:
LOL, the same chic also wrote the article you posted on your other thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...home-year.html

That does wonders for her credibility...

As I said, it doesn't matter what you or I believe personally, it's the fact that you questioned someone's credibility because they presented both sides of an issue that doesn't make sense to me.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Right back at ya... because you'd be wrong.
Nope, sorry...

Quote:
As I said, it doesn't matter what you or I believe personally, it's the fact that you questioned someone's credibility because they presented both sides of an issue that doesn't make sense to me.
That's your defense because you're a real estate bear? C'mon...you can't have your cake and eat it too...

Old 02-06-2009, 10:47 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Looks to me like if the stimulus package includes the 15000 tax credit alot of people will leave the sidelines. There is alot of money just sitting out there waiting to buy from what i have heard.

Just throwing this out there.. but take a look at Starbucks...and the retail industry. If you can't afford a new pair of pants or a cup of Joe.....kind of makes you wonder if you'd be all like, "I need to buy a new house!"

15K to a rich person is two pairs of shoes and dinner for 4. Poor people can't get an exotic loan anymore and the middle class are huddled. Even if you whip out a carrot, the rabbit won't come if the dog is growling by the hedge.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:56 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
That's an awfully negative thing to say. You should be more optimistic.
Cute! You got me...

Old 02-07-2009, 07:15 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Why does life stop if you're a renter?
Life doesn't stop if you are renting because you are unsure if home ownership is for you or you are saving for a downpayment, etc. However, I've read plenty of posts (not yours!) from "potential" buyers who think they are going to pull one over on unsuspecting sellers by waiting and waiting until buyers are giving homes away. That's ridiculous. First of all - it's as much of a financial gamble to try to find the bottom of this mess as it is to buy now. Secondly - unless you are purchasing strictly for investment purposes, home ownership offers many tax advantages that renting does not. Thirdly - if you want a house so you can start putting down roots, etc. why rent longer than necessary and have to deal with your money paying someone else's mortgage, noise from other tentants, lack of privacy, etc.

Some people love to rent and they know home ownership is not for them. That's absolutley okay. I'm referring to the people who claim to want a home but are waiting for some magical moment that will allow them to bully sellers into giving away their homes. Here's a heads up - not every seller has to sell. Some are simply fishing for buyers, some don't care how long it takes to receive their asking price, etc. Not every buyer will be able to negotiate some rock bottom deal with their seller right now. And, I don't see that changing in the future for sellers that have a choice. And while there are plenty of foreclosed properties right now, that supply will dwindle eventually as the economy picks up and as investors continue to grab up foreclosed homes right and left - it's happening now.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:47 AM

945 posts, read 1,988,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Pines View Post
Life doesn't stop if you are renting because you are unsure if home ownership is for you or you are saving for a downpayment, etc. However, I've read plenty of posts (not yours!) from "potential" buyers who think they are going to pull one over on unsuspecting sellers by waiting and waiting until buyers are giving homes away. That's ridiculous. First of all - it's as much of a financial gamble to try to find the bottom of this mess as it is to buy now. Secondly - unless you are purchasing strictly for investment purposes, home ownership offers many tax advantages that renting does not. Thirdly - if you want a house so you can start putting down roots, etc. why rent longer than necessary and have to deal with your money paying someone else's mortgage, noise from other tentants, lack of privacy, etc.

Some people love to rent and they know home ownership is not for them. That's absolutley okay. I'm referring to the people who claim to want a home but are waiting for some magical moment that will allow them to bully sellers into giving away their homes. Here's a heads up - not every seller has to sell. Some are simply fishing for buyers, some don't care how long it takes to receive their asking price, etc. Not every buyer will be able to negotiate some rock bottom deal with their seller right now. And, I don't see that changing in the future for sellers that have a choice. And while there are plenty of foreclosed properties right now, that supply will dwindle eventually as the economy picks up and as investors continue to grab up foreclosed homes right and left - it's happening now.

I agree! I think it's more the ones who can't buy, on this forum, who bark the loudest. They can't buy, no matter how far the market falls, because they don't qualify. Right now, it's their excuse to complain and pretend that the reason they can't buy is because the homes are priced too high and need to come down X%. It's easy to hide behind this facade. Those that can and have been "waiting to buy" are realistically looking at this 15K proposal and making educated decisions as to whether it will make a difference for them or not. Most think it will be that "slice" to get them off the fence, weighing that against holding out for the bottom that may have already hit, or the perhaps few more % it MAY drop. From a financial standpoint, logically speaking, most must realize that the housing market will survive, and these visions of delapitated homes that are abondonded and in dispair for all to "swoop up" are actually not the reality of what will unfold. Economy is bad, yes, but people are still "living" in it, most are still working, even though jobs have been lost, and as someone pointied out when another poster said "most will lose their jobs", the response was perfect- most would mean the unemployment rate will go to 51%. This sort of puts it in perspective, doesn't it. I hope it resinated to the doomers as well. It appears after Obama's lecture to the parties the other day, he's not messin' around. He's ready to take this on and DO SOMETHING about it! Now the people need to suck it up and help make it happen. That includes those able to buy a home to do so. Whether you think it's just "propping up" the market for a slower demise or not, it needs to happen. I don't think it's accurate to say the market will fall another 20% and better to take a hit all at once than 4% over 5 years. Who's to say 20% is suddenly the mark? It's probably not. That's the point. Housing may not fall even another 4%-TOTAL. Why give up 20 now? Will this send the buyers running to buy? NO, they'll still come up with an excuse NOT TOO! And again, those are probably not the ones who were ever able to buy anyway. Also, the OP list of 5 reasons? except for #1, all these reasons have always been a reason not to buy- FOR SOMEONE, in ALL markets, including the peak markets!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Pines View Post

I disagree with just about every fact and opinion that you put forth here. I can see that you feel very emotional about it, since you vilify people wanting to buy for cheap. Do you advise a buy high/sell low strategy?

The moral high-ground tone of this really amuses me. What sort of bizarro-world do you live in where buyers are morally obligated to pay whatever price unmotivated sellers want? Yes, I understand there are unmotivated sellers out there, and a smart buyer would leave those people alone and not disturb them with viewings or offers. A portion of the sellers out there are actually "selling their home", the rest just have pictures of their house on the internet.

Last edited by le roi; 02-07-2009 at 08:06 AM..

Old 02-07-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I disagree with just about every fact and opinion that you put forth here. I can see that you feel very emotional about it, since you vilify people wanting to buy for cheap.

What sort of bizarro world do you live in where buyers are morally obligated to pay whatever price unmotivated sellers want? A portion of the sellers are actually "selling", the rest just have pictures of their house on the internet.
I happen to agree with the poster. He didn't say buyers are obligated to pay any price. Nor did he villify cheap buyers. Where did you read that???

If you like cheap, then go buy a foreclosure. Right now I'd say you have your pick.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
I happen to agree with the poster. He didn't say buyers are obligated to pay any price. Nor did he villify cheap buyers. Where did you read that???
"Buyers bullying sellers"
"Waiting for that magical moment"
"pull one over on unsuspecting sellers"
"waiting and waiting until buyers are giving homes away"

All exaggerations of reality, or implying buyers who expect further market declines are morally wrong. I take the view that calling others "Bullies who are trying to pull one over on (scam) a seller" is a vilification.

Quote:
If you like cheap, then go buy a foreclosure. Right now I'd say you have your pick.
Foreclosures aren't necessarily cheap, nor are they plentiful in my area.

Last edited by le roi; 02-07-2009 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate