Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 05:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLaEvie View Post
Says who!?!?! In Fantasyland Economics?

When people have to sell- because of lost job, move, divorce, death, whatever - that is real life and real life is what causes prices to drop. Not "I can sit here for years with my house on the market and hold out for my price." Under your scenario, prices would never drop. This is a make-believe scenario.

Please, no offense, but is there someone at the NAR telling realtors this, or where does this come from? I have heard realtors say this before....
U.S. tax law, as defined by the Supreme Court, says so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
My observation is there are alot of angry buyers that were priced out during the last five years, but their friends weren't. They sat by, jealous, they couldn't buy the McMansion with the granite and stainless steel that their friends could. Envy ate away at them over the years and now that their friends have to sell, the disgruntled buyers of today want to seek revenge. They want their friends' blood!
MU-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAA!!!

(Disclaimer: that was a joke. Might be lame, but I found it rather humorous)

On a serious note...anyone can ask whatever price they want for their property. If you feel it's overpriced, oh well. Move on. It's not your right to tell them to pull their house from the market. It's none of your business, really. If you can't afford to buy in today's market, how about *you* stay the heck out of it. (Don't like no one telling you what you should do, huh??)

Thanks for that Potter, too many buyers think they can strong arm their way into a particular property THEY NEED TO MOVE ON TO A HOME THEY CAN AFFORD!!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:34 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Not being ugly here but I will give you my own story in short version. I am rural, large house, acreage, pool, barn the whole bang. I am competing with 7 other properties, none have pools, horse ready barns, fencing (rail not wire) and 5 of them have less land. I am the lowest priced of the seven. Well guess what the "buyers" are still coming in with 50k to 100k less, and yes they are all saying everything that is being posted here. Those buyers are looking to buy big on a beer budget, they dont care what the current comps are, they just want all they think they deserve. They even throw out statements like the sellers isn't listening to the news. Give me a break. I am not being unrealistic in my pricing, I am lower than the comps.................
Not saying buyers are being insane in your scenario or unjust. But you CLAIM your priced better than 7 houses on the market. MEANS NOTHING. What has recently sold? That is what matters.

Now you may be listed comparable to recently (60 days MAX) sold and that is fine. But if you are ABOVE recently solds you are chasing the market.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 PM

165 posts, read 812,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
U.S. tax law, as defined by the Supreme Court, says so.
Oh, tax law. Well then we are really talking about Fantasyland

Old 02-19-2009, 05:39 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
One of the things I love most about real estate is it's one of the fields out there where the non professionals always seem to know more than the professionals...

The problem with this line of thinking is that the professionals also got us into this current mess (banks, traders, etc).

Old 02-19-2009, 05:42 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,841 times
NOT TRUE NATASNJ- We have to know who our buyers are and what else they are looking at in our price range. If Painter is holding out for the right offer, that is a good thing. Some buyers just want to play games with the seller.....I have had buyers like this and I do not play games. The initial offer and acceptence is only the beginning of the transaction. I think more often than not it is an emotional response to a feature about a property that MOTIVATES THE BUYER.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:48 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
Natas, Let me clear this one for you -Lower than ALL COMP, current, old and SOLD. So no I am leading not chasing, never have I been a follower in any aspect of my life. So now what do you suppose is the problem with the buyers here? Champagne taste vs beer budget?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:51 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
Quote:
Natas, Let me clear this one for you -Lower than ALL COMP, current, old and SOLD. So no I am leading not chasing, never have I been a follower in any aspect of my life. So now what do you suppose is the problem with the buyers here? Champagne taste vs beer budget?

I'd say darn near hit the nail on the head...

Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
Well potter it pays in my line of work, lol!

Old 02-19-2009, 06:02 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Nah, just that people saw their home values rise at unprecedented levels. Today the buyer wants to purchase at historical norms, not bubble prices. We may not be there yet, but we will. If the crooks in DC leave things alone, we will get there sooner rather than later. Then, and only then, can the RE market return to normal.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate