Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:29 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Just curious how you know this "you were prudent and knew something was amiss"?

What if she didn't know anything of the sort and she just didn't buy because she couldn't afford it two years ago or she got outbid or she didn't have the job she has now?

There are sure a lot of assumptions in your post.

P.S. Jenn, I'm happy for you too, and I hope you get your short sale.

But really, the assumptions on this forum about people's personal situations are BIZARRE!!! On both sides. Sellers are selling b/c X, Y and Z. And now buyers are buying b/c of X, Y, and Z.

How about everyone worry about their own situations. The judgments are best left to your higher being and if you don't have one, then just you for your own situation. Your opinions on someone else's situation really don't help them or anyone, except maybe you to get out whatever your issues are.
Well fancy pants it may be because I have been following Jenns plight pretty closely and have actually spoken to her about it in a PM so it is you making the assumption.
And again fancy I will repeat what I have written in other threads in case you missed it. You have mentioned "the sky is falling" in a few threads now in reference to the crashing housing market insinuating that it is a figment of our imagination when in fact it is not. You don't have to be a wall street analyst to see that the bubble has burst and the party is over. Prices ARE plummeting. It is very real and will continue for a long time. I don't care what market you may or not be in or a slight uptick here or there. It's okay, your not having an easy go at it and are sore at those of us that were not caught up in it. It isn't the buyers fault that they sat it out and saved their money and are now rejoicing that those that artificially drove it up are now getting their just do. If you fit that catagory take a good long look in the mirror, pick yourself up, and don't make the same mistake again. Your not raining on anyones parade your just making it look like you just don't get it and that is what got many people into trouble in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 07:48 PM

182 posts, read 532,094 times
I never bought because there was nothing that was ever right for me. I've always had a job and perfect credit, but any house that was worth buying was out of my price range.

Now with the market falling and the AMAZING incentives, I'm going to find a home come hell or high water. The great thing is, now I can afford a nicer house that I couldn't touch before. That's a few of the reasons why I'm buying at this moment.

:O)

Old 04-17-2009, 08:16 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Well fancy pants it may be because I have been following Jenns plight pretty closely and have actually spoken to her about it in a PM so it is you making the assumption.
And again fancy I will repeat what I have written in other threads in case you missed it. You have mentioned "the sky is falling" in a few threads now in reference to the crashing housing market insinuating that it is a figment of our imagination when in fact it is not. You don't have to be a wall street analyst to see that the bubble has burst and the party is over. Prices ARE plummeting. It is very real and will continue for a long time. I don't care what market you may or not be in or a slight uptick here or there. It's okay, your not having an easy go at it and are sore at those of us that were not caught up in it. It isn't the buyers fault that they sat it out and saved their money and are now rejoicing that those that artificially drove it up are now getting their just do. If you fit that catagory take a good long look in the mirror, pick yourself up, and don't make the same mistake again. Your not raining on anyones parade your just making it look like you just don't get it and that is what got many people into trouble in the first place.
Well, I guess you didn't follow her situation too closely, or mine. She just explained that if she had found the "right" home that fit her criteria, she would've bought. So she didn't stand on the sidelines b/c she knew something was amiss. She got priced out of the market. And as far as me, where did you get that I was having a rough go of it? That made me LOL. I made a lot of money, and I'm upside down in one property out of many that I will hold long term as a rental. How is that a rough go of it? You automatically assume I must have lost everything b/c I have sympathy for those that have? It's called humanity. You should try it sometime.

The sky is falling reference isn't in reference to the market itself, it's more in reference to YOU and your cronies who jump on every single thread to berate people who even dare to suggest that they aren't upside down and aren't willing to sell for a huge loss right now. You all call them delusional, crazy, uninformed, etc. I think you're trying to convince yourselves more than us, or it's beginning to look that way.

Anyone who truly believes their views doesn't have to beat everyone else over the head to get them to agree with them, like you and your little group do. It's really just annoying, but if it's what makes you happy, then there is always that silver lining.

Since you don't seem to get it, I'll just repeat myself. We don't need 16 threads every day for you and your buddies to laugh at people who are losing their homes, their life savings, their jobs, their health insurance. One will suffice. Why don't you just entitle it something catchy like "WE HATE ANYONE WHO HAS SOMETHING WE DON'T." I'm sure you'll get tons of hits.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
"WE HATE ANYONE WHO HAS SOMETHING WE DON'T." I'm sure you'll get tons of hits.
You need to look at this more objectively. You seem to be taking this personally like all buyers are jealous of sellers who seem, in your eyes, to have alot of money.

Buying and selling real estate is like anything else..you win some, you lose some. If you want to hold out for top price then this is not a market for you so wait until it becomes a seller's market.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:26 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,223 times
Thanks for your advice, but I have a real estate license and I've been doing this for years. I'm well aware of what MY local market is doing and I've strategized to fit that.

I'm not taking the buying/selling part personally at all. I've been in and out of this market too many times for that to even come close to being accurate about my market views.

What I'm taking personally is this particular poster and a few of her buddies who DELIGHT at the fact that so many people are losing their very lives in this mess. It's just sickening to read how they BLAME people when they have few or no facts about that person's situation and what led them to be in dire straits. They automatically assume it's because they were irresponsible. It's just incredibly ugly and so unkind and so unnecessary. And yes, even though that is not my situation, far from it, I am still able to sympathize and take a lot of offense at their posts in that regard.

So while I appreciate your post and your concern, I think people who don't take that personally are lacking a sensitivity chip.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess you didn't follow her situation too closely, or mine. She just explained that if she had found the "right" home that fit her criteria, she would've bought. So she didn't stand on the sidelines b/c she knew something was amiss. She got priced out of the market.
Heh, Fancy you need to take a pill. Your right that many people may not have volunteered to sit on the sidelines and did get priced out. Prices were artificially driven up. As the saying goes garbage in ,garbage out. The garbage is coming out and now the decent people can go in. Jenn is decent. Besides I don't think that it is appropriate that you speak for a third party. It is offensive.

And as far as me, where did you get that I was having a rough go of it? That made me LOL. I made a lot of money, and I'm upside down in one property out of many that I will hold long term as a rental. How is that a rough go of it? You automatically assume I must have lost everything b/c I have sympathy for those that have? It's called humanity. You should try it sometime.

wow, you sure are defensive aren't you. Didn't need a diatribe concerning your life story.

The sky is falling reference isn't in reference to the market itself, it's more in reference to YOU and your cronies who jump on every single thread to berate people who even dare to suggest that they aren't upside down and aren't willing to sell for a huge loss right now. You all call them delusional, crazy, uninformed, etc. I think you're trying to convince yourselves more than us, or it's beginning to look that way.

Cronies? delusional? crazy? uninformed? I really don't recall making any of those comments. Your putting words in peoples mouths and that makes your argument look foolish. The fact is that the market is crashing. A bubble HAS burst and people can finally feel confidant that prices are coming back into a more comfortable range so that they can finally find a home and raise a family without losing an arm and a leg. Sure there are many threads that proclaim that...don't like it, stay out of it. You seem to be the one in denial. Attempting to rain on peoples parades proclaiming that this is a figment of their imagination. There is no convincing involved here simply look at the Dow jones Industrial averages or the monthly and yearly housing indexes.

Anyone who truly believes their views doesn't have to beat everyone else over the head to get them to agree with them, like you and your little group do. It's really just annoying, but if it's what makes you happy, then there is always that silver lining.

This is the internet. No one gets beat over the head. And again with the inappropriate comment "little group"

Since you don't seem to get it, I'll just repeat myself. We don't need 16 threads every day for you and your buddies to laugh at people who are losing their homes, their life savings, their jobs, their health insurance. One will suffice. Why don't you just entitle it something catchy like "WE HATE ANYONE WHO HAS SOMETHING WE DON'T." I'm sure you'll get tons of hits.
You don't get it. That is why you make things up. No one is laughing at people that lose their jobs,life savings, health insurance. That is insensitive. Again your comments are offensive to a lot of people. As for people that bought a house and knew they couldn't afford it ..not much sympathy from me. I know that if I was a short order cook making 30,000 I could not buy a 600,000 home.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your advice, but I have a real estate license and I've been doing this for years.
CASE CLOSED

Old 04-17-2009, 12:13 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
New to the thread, but FWIW, I too do not feel bad for those that bought a few years back and are now crying the blues about having to foreclose (aside from those that lost jobs, that's just a crappy situation to be in).

Here's two stories for you that illustrate why:

Story 1: My mother bought her first house in 1998 with my stepfather and two kid brothers, with $2000 down, I think the house was $50k. She flipped houses about 5-6 times over the years till 2003, where she bought a house for around $330k, held onto it, and it appraised in 2006 for around $700k. My mother is a school teacher, my stepfather was a used car salesman. These people went on 6+ vacations a year (at least three per year were to disney), had multiple pricey cars, and when I tell you that you couldn't see even one bit of flooring or couch in the living room on Christmas morning because of the 200+ presents... I do not exaggerate. My then-boyfriend (now husband) used to joke about how they were probably drug dealers in secret to be able to afford what they did on their salaries.

Last year they had to short sale. Turns out they took 100s of thousands out in "equity" to afford things. This is my mother - but seriously, all she ended up with was a slap on the wrist and a slight dip in her credit score. She still has her cars, she is currently on vacation in disney - even though my stepfather is now working a minimum wage job, and her salary was cut in half - and she is doing a lease-with-option-to-buy home.

Story 2: After being badgered by my mother back in 2005 to "buy something already" my fiance and I looked at the only things that two engineers with masters degrees could afford - one bedroom condos which would give us each a two hour commute each way to work. We have had hard times, we figured we could cope, so we looked. Our realtor would only show us homes that were out of our price range - by only 10-15k, but regardless, she told us "don't worry, you can afford this! The bank will approve you, you fudge this, etc." We did the math, redid our household budget to see where we could cut - and unless one of us got a $30k/year raise, there was no way we could manage. When we informed her of this, we were told "you're going to miss the boat, and be stuck renting the rest of your lives." Those same condos are now selling for 60k less than they were - but who cares, we continued to rent, relocated to get better salaries, and can now afford an actual house - with a huge back yard, triple the square feet of the condo, in the best area of our town.

Granted, we are engineers, so we are probably more math-saavy than most - but, with online calculators, and just having the maturity to know your own household budget, it still baffles me that people allowed to get themselves into these situations. If the market today was still in a bubble - I'd continue to rent.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
New to the thread, but FWIW, I too do not feel bad for those that bought a few years back and are now crying the blues about having to foreclose (aside from those that lost jobs, that's just a crappy situation to be in).

Here's two stories for you that illustrate why:

Story 1: My mother bought her first house in 1998 with my stepfather and two kid brothers, with $2000 down, I think the house was $50k. She flipped houses about 5-6 times over the years till 2003, where she bought a house for around $330k, held onto it, and it appraised in 2006 for around $700k. My mother is a school teacher, my stepfather was a used car salesman. These people went on 6+ vacations a year (at least three per year were to disney), had multiple pricey cars, and when I tell you that you couldn't see even one bit of flooring or couch in the living room on Christmas morning because of the 200+ presents... I do not exaggerate. My then-boyfriend (now husband) used to joke about how they were probably drug dealers in secret to be able to afford what they did on their salaries.

Last year they had to short sale. Turns out they took 100s of thousands out in "equity" to afford things. This is my mother - but seriously, all she ended up with was a slap on the wrist and a slight dip in her credit score. She still has her cars, she is currently on vacation in disney - even though my stepfather is now working a minimum wage job, and her salary was cut in half - and she is doing a lease-with-option-to-buy home.

Story 2: After being badgered by my mother back in 2005 to "buy something already" my fiance and I looked at the only things that two engineers with masters degrees could afford - one bedroom condos which would give us each a two hour commute each way to work. We have had hard times, we figured we could cope, so we looked. Our realtor would only show us homes that were out of our price range - by only 10-15k, but regardless, she told us "don't worry, you can afford this! The bank will approve you, you fudge this, etc." We did the math, redid our household budget to see where we could cut - and unless one of us got a $30k/year raise, there was no way we could manage. When we informed her of this, we were told "you're going to miss the boat, and be stuck renting the rest of your lives." Those same condos are now selling for 60k less than they were - but who cares, we continued to rent, relocated to get better salaries, and can now afford an actual house - with a huge back yard, triple the square feet of the condo, in the best area of our town.

Granted, we are engineers, so we are probably more math-saavy than most - but, with online calculators, and just having the maturity to know your own household budget, it still baffles me that people allowed to get themselves into these situations. If the market today was still in a bubble - I'd continue to rent.
EXACTLY! I was told the same thing in 2005. "better buy now prices are going up" by a real estate agent. I make a very good salary but was versed well enough in the market to know better.When you look at a 450,000 home and it is a "fixer upper" that you wouldn't house an animal in you know something has gone awry. As people refied to the hilt because they were told their homes were worth 3 times what they paid for them, bought their new beamers, bought extravagant gifts it was obvious things were going to get ugly real soon. Time to come back to earth folks.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:24 PM

764 posts, read 1,598,052 times
Quote:
What I'm taking personally is this particular poster and a few of her buddies who DELIGHT at the fact that so many people are losing their very lives in this mess. It's just sickening to read how they BLAME people when they have few or no facts about that person's situation and what led them to be in dire straits.
Huh?

Got any statistics to back up yet another one of your mindless 'claims?'

It's best when you say nothing at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate