Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:03 AM

43,321 posts, read 77,177,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I thought 'low ball' is technically 20 percent below asking.
What if the house is 30% overpriced?
That 20% under might be a "Top Dollar" offer.

Better to work offers than to categorize them, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What if the house is 30% overpriced?
That 20% under might be a "Top Dollar" offer.

Better to work offers than to categorize them, I think.
I am not talking about 'low ball' as an objective criteria, per se. But what you can term as 'low ball' with respect to original pricing. That doesn't mean it's actually too low.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not talking about 'low ball' as an objective criteria, per se. But what you can term as 'low ball' with respect to original pricing. That doesn't mean it's actually too low.
I just think it is a pointless exercise to bring the term into an inquiry and offer.

It is useful as a slang term, later, when one may say, "We finally are under contract. We had a lowball offer early, and couldn't get anywhere with it, but we got one we could work with over the weekend."
And one can interpret "lowball" as they care to at that point. It won't impact on negotiations.

But, the OP asked, "Do you really get offended or angry about lowball offers?"
We are talking immaturity at that point, and the best response is, "There is no such thing as a lowball offer."

I tell my clients, "If someone offers 8 bucks and a ham sandwich, I am going to bring it to you, and you are not allowed to get angry." We will follow it through until it is clear there is no viability to the offer.
Wednesday, I think I said, "...a buck and a slice of pizza..." Got off script....

Old 09-03-2010, 07:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
I agree.
An offer is an offer and should be treated as such.
Either it's something you think you can work with or it isn't.
You're not supposed to take a business transaction personally.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,163,938 times
I don't even associate the term "low ball" with asking price. I associate it with market value.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,923,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't even associate the term "low ball" with asking price. I associate it with market value.
I agree with you but you have to understand that sellers have their houses priced at what they consider market value. These sellers have their house priced in the mid $700s when nothing in their immediate area has sold for more than the mid $500s in quite a while.

1218 Peregrine Wy, Weston, FL, 33327 - MLS #F1088974 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

They are located in a planned community where there are many comparable homes. Their house would sell nearly instantly if they priced at $575K. So while you would not consider an opening offer of $560K a lowball offer, chances are these sellers would.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I agree with you but you have to understand that sellers have their houses priced at what they consider market value. These sellers have their house priced in the mid $700s when nothing in their immediate area has sold for more than the mid $500s in quite a while.

1218 Peregrine Wy, Weston, FL, 33327 - MLS #F1088974 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

They are located in a planned community where there are many comparable homes. Their house would sell nearly instantly if they priced at $575K. So while you would not consider an opening offer of $560K a lowball offer, chances are these sellers would.

So, should they prefer wallowing in "offense and anger" to selling?
They are putting themselves through a lot of unnecessary crud if they are not willing to discuss selling their home.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,163,938 times
I definitely realize that the seller who has their home over priced is not going to have the same perspective as a buyer. I was looking at it from a buyer's perspective only.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,034,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

Weston, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
According to a 2008 estimate, the median income for a household in the city is $95,454 and the median income for a family is $105,265.
* I would argue that adjusted incomes are DOWN from 2008.

So, how does a home sell instantly for 6x the median family income? Where does the money come from?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:05 AM

13 posts, read 22,766 times
Default I Don't Understand Your Reasoning..

Mike Jaquish said in part..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
One extremely common way to "fail to establish productive dialogue" is to bring attitude or emotion to the bargaining table.

Since there is no such thing, the offer of $5000 is not a LOWBALL offer.
Please don't misunderstand me (and I'm NOT here to argue or cause any hard feelings), but what does.....

("One extremely common way to 'fail to establish productive dialogue' is to bring attitude or emotion to the bargaining table.")

..... have to do with defining a "LOWBALL" offer? Absolutely Nothing!

In addition, making the statement: "Since there is no such thing, the offer of $5000 is not a 'LOWBALL' offer."

I realize my example of $500k/$5k was at a extreme and ridiculous, but saying it was NOT a "LOWBALL" offer was even a more ridiculous statement.

---------------------------------------

Big D Geek said in part..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek
I agree. When I was selling my last house it was sometimes a little frustrating when the LOWBALL offers came in..
Am I missing something here? First you agree with "MikeJaquish" that there's NO such thing as a "LOWBALL" offer.. yet you say you were frustrated because of them. You can't have it both ways. Either they were "LOWBALL" offers.. or they weren't.

----------------------------------------

Mike Jaquish said in part..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish
We had a LOWBALL offer early, and couldn't get anywhere with it..
Now you really do confuse me. Previously you said "there's NO such thing as a 'LOWBALL' offer".. but yet in the quoted example above you're saying there is. Make up your mind. As I told "Big D Geek": "You can't have it both ways. Either there are.. or there aren't."

You also said (in part) in your last post..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish
They are putting themselves through a lot of unnecessary crud if they are not willing to discuss selling their home.
There's a B I G difference between having a discussion about the sale of a home.. and a buyer offering a price to buy soo low that it's beyond the point of being overly ridiculous. I can't believe you can't see that.

Country Cowboy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate