Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 PM

995 posts, read 3,930,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsejcm View Post
The forclosures weren't listed at that low of a price they were listed similiarly to ours, they just sold for a lot less than what they were listed for. That's why it confuses me. Now that we know what they sold for if we price ours to match, will the buyers still offer less?
This is even more troubling for you. If your regular sale house can't compete with similar priced foreclosed house, then you are in a real trouble. Why do you think the buyer purchased the foreclosed house instead of your house? If you know the answer, then do something about it. If you don't know the answer, find it out now before it's too late. A normal buyer would not buy a foreclosed home over a regular house, if all the other factors are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 PM

31 posts, read 91,124 times
I am wondering if the buyers only make the offers on forclosures because they figure the bank will take way less than the listed amount, and they don't bother with ours because maybe they figure we won't take much less than the listed price. I can't say we would take 20k less than the listed price but any offer would at least make us feel a little better.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 PM

995 posts, read 3,930,448 times
Quote:
I am wondering if the buyers only make the offers on forclosures because they figure the bank will take way less than the listed amount, and they don't bother with ours because maybe they figure we won't take much less than the listed price. I can't say we would take 20k less than the listed price but any offer would at least make us feel a little better.
It's certainly possible but not likely.

Suppose the two houses have identical listing price, specs. But one is a foreclosed and another is a regular sale. It's safe to assume that the foreclosed property is riskier because most of them are sold AS IS. Who knows what the previous owner did to the house before they got evicted?

In this case, most buyers will first make a low ball offer on a regular sale. If rejected, they may make the same offer on the foreclosed. They would not make an offer on a riskier property first. I don't see your logic will hold here.

I don't know anything about you or the foreclosed house that you are comparing with. But just by looking at the results, I think there must be another reason why the buyers didn't pick yours. My friend, you need to find out the real reason. Otherwise, you may have hard time selling yours.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:56 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Don't need pics. Your home is overpriced if it hasn't sold in 2 years. You either need to fix the condition or reduce the price. You aren't getting lowball offers because buyers feel your price is too unrealistic to waste time on.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
What has your agent advised you to do? Did you do it? Is it clean, free of clutter and overly personal items, and attractively staged? I agree that you must price your home near or below the last sale price on a similar home. You have a lot of competition in your area so you must offer something that the others do not have; an agressively priced property, and NOT a short sale or REO. Best wishes.

p.s. Remember the other agents and buyers are not out there to make you feel better! This is business. Approach it as such.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 PM

9 posts, read 15,167 times
Yeah, I wouldn't choose to move to Florida in the first place. It's karma, maybe.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,446 times
Quote:
The forclosures weren't listed at that low of a price they were listed similiarly to ours, they just sold for a lot less than what they were listed for. That's why it confuses me. Now that we know what they sold for if we price ours to match, will the buyers still offer less?
Buyers will more readily low-ball a bank because the bank will more readily accept the offer. If you price just as low as the bank accepted, buyers may well ask for a further discount. I'd still price just as low and just don't accept a lower offer for at least 2 weeks.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 AM

140 posts, read 542,610 times
Competing with REO's is difficult - banks will sell at what ever price it takes to sell the house. You must be in the same ballpark price or your not even on the market - then make sure your house is in superior condition - most REO's are dirty! Some buyers will pay a small premium for your house, if it's in perfect condition - this is the only way in today's market to compete with an REO. Offer the buyer a move-in ready home!

I'm an investor buying several houses a week and reselling them!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 AM

359 posts, read 1,119,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Don't need pics. Your home is overpriced if it hasn't sold in 2 years. You either need to fix the condition or reduce the price. You aren't getting lowball offers because buyers feel your price is too unrealistic to waste time on.

Exactly!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:12 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWAD View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't choose to move to Florida in the first place. It's karma, maybe.
I believe the OP is in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate