Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times

Advertisements

Just checking in. Had a realtor through yesterday, which put me behind about 2 hours for what I had planned to do....only because he was interested in the extra building on the property because he had a couple where the husband was a body-builder and wanted a place to set up his equipment --- don't think my place is that kind of place!

Had some looky loos come through -- sat on the street in my car with my dog....I hate doing that. Heard them make some derogatory remarks, and they were out of there within 3 minutes -- again, I was set back a few hours because they were supposed to be here earlier, but didn't show until later, and I had a college graduation to attend!

The worst part in my situation is that I don't even have a place that I really want to go to!! I just know that the property is too large for me, I'm getting too old to keep it up (plus I'm under 5 feet and am weaker than a man! plus I'll be 62 this year!!). My college-aged daughter has no intention of living here, and that is why I stayed -- I thought she might want to live here for college because it's cheaper -- instead, she plans to live with her boyfriend.....guess I'm at least clear of funding her education!

I'm getting ready to go out and work on the back part of the property -- which I never fixed up. It's a great area for someone to put in an organic garden (which I had planned to do if my daughter stayed with me), or something else. But it needs to be raked, and pruned (many trees), and mowed, etc. It's a huge amount of work, plus being small, I can't haul those 20 foot redwood limbs that come down during the winter, so I have to drag them one-by-one to a different place. I'm just so tired of cleaning, and pruning, and raking, and doing all the stuff I need to do.

Last evening, I raked more than what would fit into our organic waste recycling bin, and I washed down outside tables, put up a "Welcome Friends" sign, and collected tons of kindling from the little branches that fell. It was dark finally, and I still didn't finish, so I'm going out now to do more. It's such a hassle, and it's not even an area used. I hope whoever buys it will use it more, maybe put in a garden, or if they collect cars or something, they could pave it. I don't know. I just know I'm darned tired of making sure everything is perfect, being held up on things I need to do, taking my dog to work and having him sit in my car so people can view the property, and just doing all the extra stuff that needs to be done.

So, I'm getting off City-Data and out to the work again. Unfortunately, my realtor put down on the flyer that I had azaelas in my yard (I don't), so I felt it ethical to go out and get a couple of azaela plants -- got to put those in now. I want to be sure everything is Kosher.

Hope all are well. I had no idea this was going to be the ordeal it is --- and I've just started!!

Glad this thread is here, because it's a great place to know I'm not alone! Thanks, everyone!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:33 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,149,360 times
Hi Wisteria,

You sound overwhelmed. How big of a piece of property do you have to keep up with? Maybe you could rent out a herd of goats, lol. Or if possible, hire some neighborhood highschool kids to help you out. I definitely know the whole getting the dogs out for the showing scene.

Hammy, I like both of those crib sets, but think the pink would be warm and cozy and the green would be cool and tranquil. The wainscotting sounds like a great idea, to give the room texture and break up the color. What kind of floor coverings do you have? Either way it will definitely be a true little girls room.

Hey C21, hope that music in your neighborhood doesn't become a regular event. We haven't heard back a further counter offer, so guess the buyer has moved on.

Texas, did you post your pictures somewhere? How's your brother doing?

Dogmom, "there's no place like home". Now you can pass your ruby slippers on.

OK Crazyma, where are you girl? Hdzup, hang in there. Hi everyone else!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:20 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,047,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
It really is gorgeous out this weekend. Isn't it? I am sitting in the 3 season porch with Connor in his kiddie pool next to me just having a grand old time.

Ok - so I narrowed it down to two bedding sets. I like them both, I just cannot decide which color I like better.

Here is the first which I would do the walls white wainscoating on the bottom and pink on top.

Pottery Barn Kids | Daisy Garden Nursery Bedding (http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/w451/index.cfm?pkey=cgirls%2Dnursery%2Dbedding%7Cb - broken link)

Or this one where I would do the walls white wainscoating on the bottom and a light green on top.

Pottery Barn Kids | Daisy Garden Nursery Bedding (http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/w450/index.cfm?pkey=cgirls%2Dnursery%2Dbedding%7Cb - broken link)

Any suggestions?

Kristine
I think they're both adorable and whichever one would go with a pale green above white wainscoating - think the pale green would be very soothing and both have green in them so you could actually use it with either or get both and switch out. I'm just not much of a pink fan so me personally wouldn't put any pink on walls JMO

Old 06-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post

Hey C21, hope that music in your neighborhood doesn't become a regular event. Yeah, me too. Still have a headache Though it appears only on Saturday night, but still . . .

We haven't heard back a further counter offer, so guess the buyer has moved on.

Okay - though since I am like a junkyard dog that won't let go of a bone, I still don't know why the darn agents didn't just work this out, give up a bit of commissions so the deal would work. It was $5k difference for the love of God and on the one I dropped it cost my brokerage around $7k in commissions but the house closed, happy clients and a lot of referrals. This just sucks

Texas, did you post your pictures somewhere? How's your brother doing? Hey Tex, do hope he's feeling better and not on so much morphine. How's it coming with the attorney and possible lawsuit against the jerk on phone and legally blind?????

Dogmom, "there's no place like home". Now you can pass your ruby slippers on. Yes you can girl! Unfortunately, know there's a lot of my amigas who could use them right now. Darn buyers and greedy/incompetent agents.

OK Crazyma, where are you girl? Hdzup, hang in there. Hi everyone else!
We miss you ma
So for just a little bit of humor that I think we all need, here's a great FSBO sign - definitely following 'full disclosure'

Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
It really is gorgeous out this weekend. Isn't it? I am sitting in the 3 season porch with Connor in his kiddie pool next to me just having a grand old time.

Ok - so I narrowed it down to two bedding sets. I like them both, I just cannot decide which color I like better.

Here is the first which I would do the walls white wainscoating on the bottom and pink on top.

Pottery Barn Kids | Daisy Garden Nursery Bedding (http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/w451/index.cfm?pkey=cgirls%2Dnursery%2Dbedding%7Cb - broken link)

Or this one where I would do the walls white wainscoating on the bottom and a light green on top.

Pottery Barn Kids | Daisy Garden Nursery Bedding (http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/w450/index.cfm?pkey=cgirls%2Dnursery%2Dbedding%7Cb - broken link)

Any suggestions?

Kristine
I like the first one--but then again, my favorite color is green.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:17 PM

So both of my Alberts are ready for bed (yeah, my stuffed elephant is also named Albert) So nighty-night. No loud music tonight PS I do actually make my bed but Albert loves playing with Albert so he destroys it - tried to get fancy and put them in order but they didn't line up right, but you get the picture

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/joykoopman/AlbertGoldieetc009.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-15-2009, 12:14 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Default The long awaited texas trip report!!!

OK...going to try to post a report along with pics!

FRIDAY: We (me and Jim) met up at the Austin airport. From there we rented our car and immediatly drove downtown Austin to Flip Happy Crepes for lunch. It is an airstream trailer that sells homemade crepes. DELICIOUS!

We then went to our hotel to check in. We stayed at the Radisson with a view of the Colorado River.
Then we climbed to the highest spot in Austin--Mt. Bonnell. Here are some pics of the view from up there!

I think we should pool our resources and buy this huge house along the Colorado River!!

That night we congregated on Congress Ave. Bridge along with countless others to watch the bats emerge from under the bridge at dusk! The largest population of Mexican free-tailed bats live under Congress Ave. Bridge (1.5 million bats!!). It's a must to watch the bats take off for their nightly flights! It really is impressive to watch--it looks like huge black ribbons in the sky. My pics don't do it justice.

Friday night we went to see Weldon Henson and his band perform at Hill's Cafe! Great music and Weldon is super nice!

We visited the Capitol, where they were in session voting on bills. The Capitol is pretty at night.

SATURDAY: First stop was the Austin Farmer's Market on Guadalupe!

Then we rented bikes and rode over 14 miles up and down both sides of the river. These are various photos taken during our bike ride.

Statue of Stevie Ray Vaughn--also a famous Austinite!

We stopped at Barton Springs Pool. It is a spring-fed pool that is 68 degrees year round--quite an oasis for those triple digit days in Texas!

Jim taking a rest along the bike trail!

Sat night we went to the Broken Spoke to listen to my friend, Dale Watson. This is a pic of me with the owner, James White.

SUNDAY: This day was spent going to my favorite place in Austin--Ginny's Little Longhorn Saloon!!! My friend, Dale Watson was singing there. I met up with some old friends there and had a great time playing chicken sh*t bingo!

The infamous Ginny:

The infamous CHICKEN!!

My friend, singer and songwriter extraordinaire, Dale Watson!

Me and Dale's wife:

Me and James Intveld--great singer!

My friend Jaci:

A few great Texas beers!

MONDAY:We walked around University of Texas. This tower was the site of a sniper shooting on Aug 1, 1966 where one lone sniper killed 14 people and wounded 32 others in a shooting rampage on campus. Prior to that the sniper killed his wife and mother at their homes.

Also took pics from outside the Texas History Museum.

We also hiked down into Hamilton Pool Reserve. It is a 1/4 mile hike down into the reserve and then another 1/4 mile back up out of it...but well worth the hike.

Then we went to the Oasis to have drinks, dinner and watch the sunset over Lake Travis.

Sandra Bullock's home on Lake Travis (She's an Austin girl)!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s41/steelcitywoman/AUSTIN%20--%20MAY%202009/SandraBullocksHouse.jpg (broken link)

Later that evening we walked around taking some pics of South Congress neon signs--the Continental Club and the Austin Motel. Isn't that motel sign a little perverted?!?! The shape of it, I mean!!!

Last edited by TexasGirl@Heart; 06-15-2009 at 12:28 AM..

Old 06-15-2009, 03:51 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Morning Tex-all I can say is WOW-those pix are just beautiful and you crammed so much in. Thank you for sharing.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:27 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,348,076 times
INCREDIBLE PICS SHEL!!! Wow. I love the Reserve pics and seeing the sunsets! What beautiful scenery!!! Thanks for sharing girl!!!!

OK Tex--I will have the Roasted chicken crepe please and for desert the lemon curd with blueberries LOL!

Hia Lace!! Is it warming up in Minnesota yet? Wow. I thought Buffalo was cold! but you have me beat!!! Sunny in NJ

today...cooler though!! which I am not complaining!!

C21- love the sign lol...and the pics of your kitty!

Last edited by njsocks; 06-15-2009 at 07:38 AM..

Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,585 times
Fantastic pictures!!!!! I love them all. I have never been to Austin but it is on my list of places I want to visit.

Kristine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate