Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 PM

262 posts, read 1,026,270 times

Advertisements

I've been in my house for about a month, but this week, I just started getting an onslaught of junk mail. I've gotten a bunch of "mortgage insurance protection" (aka life insurance) offers, and a bunch of other random crap: gym membership offers, animal hospital coupons (I have no pets), and other assorted garbage. All of them are tailored to "new homebuyer."

My favorite one was some scam of a company called "Nationwide Biweekly Administration" that offers to make bi-weekly mortgage payments on my behalf. I did some searching and apparently they charge you $200 upfront and $4 per payment for this "luxury" (which you can easily do yourself).

My paper shredder has been getting a workout lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 01:20 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
Post office sells your new listing to junk mailers, bro.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:20 AM

43,311 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighusker View Post
I've been in my house for about a month, but this week, I just started getting an onslaught of junk mail. I've gotten a bunch of "mortgage insurance protection" (aka life insurance) offers, and a bunch of other random crap: gym membership offers, animal hospital coupons (I have no pets), and other assorted garbage. All of them are tailored to "new homebuyer."

My favorite one was some scam of a company called "Nationwide Biweekly Administration" that offers to make bi-weekly mortgage payments on my behalf. I did some searching and apparently they charge you $200 upfront and $4 per payment for this "luxury" (which you can easily do yourself).

My paper shredder has been getting a workout lately.
Many businesses take advantage of new recordings at the courthouse.
Recordings are public information.
As soon as your deed is recorded, they put you into their mailing list for "New Homeowner" service solicitations.
You will receive the flood of junk for a few weeks.

It is important for new homeowners to glance at every piece of mail.
Sure, the mortgage, insurance, and many other solicitations are junk, but there will be some important pieces of mail coming in the next couple of weeks, too. Don't shred your title insurance policy!

Old 03-28-2009, 07:04 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,694 times
The same thing happened to me (not to mention all the phone calls!). After a few months it will slow down.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:36 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
Don't worry, it'll slow down after a few months. Same thing got me when I moved and bought a place last June and it's come down to just normal junk mail at this point.

I'll bet you never knew there were so many dentists, lawyers, CPAs, and remodeling places nearby until the junk mail arrived.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:06 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
There are actually a few "Do not mail" lists you can join. Also contact the 3 big Credit Reporting companies & sign up for their no credit offers list. This will reduce your mail by 70%

Old 03-28-2009, 09:23 AM

897 posts, read 2,825,547 times
I remember when we moved to our new home almost 2 years ago getting ... 7 (YES, 7) solicitations in the mail on one day for mortgage protection insurance. It was almost a daily occurance that we'd get these things, some companies would keep sending them and sending them. I found some of the same companies would re-send just style the letter a bit differently.

The PO, when you fill out the mail forwarding request, does sell your info as well.

The solicitations will come to an end as quickly as they started.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 AM

897 posts, read 2,825,547 times
Oh - one other thing. Don't forget to put your new land line number on the National Do Not Call registry immediately. Answer the phone and tell anyone that solicts you that you are on the registry and DO NOT CALL.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:35 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,185,929 times
for fun, send other unrelated junkmail stuff back to'em when you get a envelope with the postage thingy- I just don't include my addy- sometimes I write little notes like have a nice day, eat a good breakfast....got to keep the PO busy

Old 03-28-2009, 11:20 AM

324 posts, read 862,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
for fun, send other unrelated junkmail stuff back to'em when you get a envelope with the postage thingy- I just don't include my addy- sometimes I write little notes like have a nice day, eat a good breakfast....got to keep the PO busy

that's a great idea- i get at least 3-4 junk letters a day from these mortgage insurance companies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate