Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:37 PM

161 posts, read 568,627 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here had any experience with a reverse offer, as a seller or a buyer? What are the pros and cons? What would make a really good one, and at what point in the process would you consider it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 05:08 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
There is a lot of talk in my market about reverse offers, but I've only heard of one person actually doing it. As in most situations, most people are talk and no action.

In the case where the seller did present a reverse offer, the buyers actually accepted it.

Personally, I don't really like them because as the seller, you're saying, right off the bat, "I know I'm listed at such and such price, but I'll go ahead and accept this price." And then the buyer goes, "Well, you're showing your cards, so I'll come in even lower than that..." How bad does the seller need to sell? And if they're willing to accept a lower price right now, why not reduce the price for all buyers to see??

Last edited by FalconheadWest; 04-11-2009 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-11-2009, 05:25 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,431,637 times
I've used them before. Mainly if a buyer is on the fence between my listing and another. Works sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't. If it works, it's most likely because you came in lower than the buyer was even thinking, so you might feel like you left money on the table, but you'll still have a deal.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
There is a lot of talk in my market about reverse mortgages, but I've only heard of one person actually doing it. As in most situations, most people are talk and no action.

In the case where the seller did present a reverse offer, the buyers actually accepted it.

Personally, I don't really like them because as the seller, you're saying, right off the bat, "I know I'm listed at such and such price, but I'll go ahead and accept this price." And then the buyer goes, "Well, you're showing your cards, so I'll come in even lower than that..." How bad does the seller need to sell? And if they're willing to accept a lower price right now, why not reduce the price for all buyers to see??
Reverse mortgages and reverse offers are two different things.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:34 PM

280 posts, read 1,042,366 times
How do you identify the buyer to offer it to? Their agent tells yours they are on the fence?

I don't have experience, but on the face of it, it doesn't sound functionally different from just dropping your asking price.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
A reverse offer could be for asking price, or less, but it also could have other conditions. Say the seller is flexible on a leaseback, say, or other conditions of the contract.

They can be used if someone has come back to see the house two or more times or has had their agent ask several questions, but hasn't come forth with an offer, as an example of someone who is clearly interested but hasn't jumped yet.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:54 PM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Is it a "reverse offer" when I receive an offer that is so ineptly written, I do it over and send it back to the Buyers' Agent for signatures???

Unfortunately, this is not a theoretical question...

Old 04-11-2009, 06:32 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Reverse mortgages and reverse offers are two different things.
Yes, I know, and the educated would be able to read past the typo since the OP's question said "offer".

Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,858 times
And the educated might also know that a typo usually results in a misspelling, not a totally different concept.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:34 PM

161 posts, read 568,627 times
Thanks for all the info; I asked because I came across an article on ABCnews.com about how it was a strategy that becomes more popular in buyer's markets... seems pretty much like a crapshoot, though, and I agree if you are going to offer a lower price or concessions you may as well put them out there for anyone to see. Plus, seems like you would have to know an awful lot about the particular buyer to know what kind of offer would be attractive to them, and what about your property was keeping them from making a move (maybe not price, but something else about it, like road noise or something that isn't easily changed).

We haven't had any second showings, so not an issue for us anyway! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate