Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times

Advertisements

We have a home we're trying to sell in N.E. Florida and I have a question about a neighboring home. The homes in our neighborhood are in the 400s and it is a very nice wooded neighborhood. Our home is a nice 2000 sq. home directly on the marsh so it is in a desirable location. Our next door neighbor, however, has a humongous home (a McMansion if you will). All our lots are 1/2 acre as is his, but his home is almost 4,000 square feet. It is a beautiful newly constructed home, but looks out of place in our neighborhood. Is this a turn-off for buyers to be next to such a larger-than-life home? We are several feet from this house, so we're not on top of each other, but I'm trying to think if this could possibly present a problem for us. Thanks for any insight you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 03:11 PM

113 posts, read 770,647 times
I'm not a realtor, so here is my buyer's point of view... yes, it would be a turn-off for me to buy a place next to a McMansion! In my area here in New York, houses are already so crammed next to each other, but people are starting to demolish their homes and are building McMansions in their tiny 40x100 lots. And I think it takes away from the charm of the area... it just looks plain bad, odd, out of place, aesthetically unpleasing, you name it. As a buyer, I'd also be worried that other neighbors would follow suit. So you're smart to sell now before other McMansions pop up.

However, since there is only 1 house in your area doing this and your acreage gives you enough breathing space in between, it might be fine. It would also depend on how nice your house is, which might help someone like me outweigh the negative of having a gaudy house next door.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2007, 03:40 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... or, in this case, the buyer.

If they like the view and ... maybe it inflates their ego a little bit about a neighbor with a huge house ... so be it.

If they don't like it for whatever reason ... so be it.

The simple fact is you cannot change that view or structure. Price your house as if the "upscale" neighbor is an asset and sell what you've got ....
If your response is on that same page, then you're both winners.

If the buyers are turned off, then you might need to adjust the price to reflect the reaction. Be open to realistic offers if you need to sell now.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:14 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Thanks to both of you for your replies. Fortunately, there is about 50-60 feet between us. And when you are looking in our backyard all you see is a beautiful expanse of marsh and trees. And there is quite a large tree buffer between us as well. So even though you can see his quite large house when you drive up, you really feel nestled and secluded when you look out of our back door. So hopefully, we will find the right buyer. Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:34 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
A positive way to think about it, you never want to be the most expensive home in the neighborhood - it gives you little room to move up. With a larger, more expensive home next to you - his property value will reflect on yours.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
thier are two dynamics that are opposites in real estate progression and regression,
progression happens, when a lesser worth home is in the same neighborhood as more expensive ones, it can actually increase values,,,,because of the nice homes and neighborhood around it,,
regression on the other hand, is a high valued home, amongst lower valued homes,,can actually decrease the value,,

id much rather be in a neighborhood of higher valued homes,,,

Old 04-07-2007, 07:32 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
I definitely don't like the McMansion houses, too ostentatious for me, but I'd rather have that than live near a lazy person who "decorates" his or her yard with junk.

I've seen many McMansions in parts of Texas and they look so very out of place, just my opinion.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:45 PM

17 posts, read 101,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
A positive way to think about it, you never want to be the most expensive home in the neighborhood - it gives you little room to move up. With a larger, more expensive home next to you - his property value will reflect on yours.

Also you don't want to be the smallest or least expensive home in a neighborhood either you always want to be in the middle so to speak'

Old 04-16-2007, 09:42 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
That's not true the least expensive house is the best deal It gives you room to make it your own or expand if you want to
If I were ging to move into a neighborhood with nice houses and there was a cheap one there I would snatch it and build it up to the rest MY WAY

Old 04-16-2007, 02:20 PM

23 posts, read 139,617 times
Location, location, location. On the marsh in a neighborhood in warm, sunny Florida.

Who cares who lives next door. Advertise in the New York Times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate