Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:16 PM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
wait wait wait!! Why didn't the OP have the water turned off too????? Had it been, might not have been as big a mess

where are you OP?
Other than banks most people don't winterize their homes prior to moving out. Out here when you "shut off utilities" the gas and water still flow to the house. You can shut off the mains at the house, but at least out here, that isn't normal practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 01:16 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,375,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Were the buyers at fault for not transferring the utilities to their own name and for approaching the seller directly? Yes.

Did the seller's reaction reflect badly on the seller and, while understandable, was it inappropriate to send it to the buyers Yes.

Seems to me nobody came off looking very good in this one.
Always the voice of reason!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:17 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,301 times
I agree that the seller has no repsonsibility. I would have ignored the letter or responed gently and firmly. It's crazy for a buyer to expect a seller to leave any utilities on after the closing.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:45 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,308,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I agree that the seller has no repsonsibility. I would have ignored the letter or responed gently and firmly. It's crazy for a buyer to expect a seller to leave any utilities on after the closing.
Or to leave any utilities in the seller's name!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:56 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Or to leave any utilities in the seller's name!
Exactly!

Old 05-09-2009, 02:27 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,185,929 times
Okay I am not saying the buyer wasn't a little OUT there contacting the seller...but I am curious as to the water possibly being on, since it wasn't mentioned. Maybe the buyers thought ALL utilities were off???
Every where that I have lived, the water is cut off at the street, and they come to manually cut it back on...once they get their hefty deposits

Old 05-09-2009, 02:32 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,360,634 times
I have no issue with the seller turning off the utilities.

What I saw as uncalled for was the response that was sent to new, first time home buyers who probably freaked out at the damage, were inexperienced and perhaps uninformed by their agent and reacted in anger and misdirected it at the seller. They were most certainly at fault for not handling this beforehand but the seller's response was just cruel.

Had I received a letter like that from the buyer, I would be angry that they were threatening me but knowing that those threats have no teeth I wouldn't have sent them a letter basking with glee about a cruise I'm taking when these people were probably devastated and distraught about what happened to their new home.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:43 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
OH good one!! YES, OP why didn't YOU have the water turned off too?????

In some places we have lived (St. Louis, Big Bear, Albuquerque), the water was shut off manually and had to be turned on by the water company before we could move in. The utilities were required to be turned off before the water tho.

In other places, when I've called to "turn off" utilities (Colorado Springs, Jacksonville FL, San Diego) they have simply removed my name from the account without turning anything off.

Perhaps the buyers (who even the OP admits came from out of town) didn't realize the differences. While their realtor should've helped them out with these things, it's a possibility that the OP's arrogance will upset some judge and he'll end up responsible for all, if not part, of the damages. Am I hoping this will happen to him? Well, I ALWAYS like to see jerks "get it".

But that's just me.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:02 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,738 times
I think the buyers were BIG jerks! LOL! So I'm hoping the judge not only dismisses at summary judgment but that he makes them pay costs!!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:28 PM

47 posts, read 232,225 times
From a legal stand point and my professional opinion in law, the seller would prevail, but would not recover costs of litigation. The standard to recover costs from the losing party is a very high legal standard. My outlook is the following: if the buyer filed a cliam against seller (which could even be done in federal court) the seller will win on a motion for summary judgment but still will spend atleast $4,000 in costs. It is doubtful an attorney would pursue this unless the buyer was paying hourly because there is very limited recovery potential here. Infact I would as an attorney believe if the buyer were to have any chance at recovery it would be from their agent if this info was required to be on disclosed (not too common in most states).

Enough said, but I think all parties involved can learn something from this transaction and hopefully everything works out the best for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
I think the buyers were BIG jerks! LOL! So I'm hoping the judge not only dismisses at summary judgment but that he makes them pay costs!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate