Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 03:19 PM

148 posts, read 389,245 times

Advertisements

I hope someone can answer this. Does it really matter who your realtor is? Since everything is on MLS listing is one realtor better then another? The reason I am asking this is that my property has been on the market for over a month and My Realtor has never shown it. My property has been shown several times but it has always been by a different realtor with a different company. I have reduced the price and also offered a bonus to the realtor that sells it but nothing yet. The realtors that show my property always say it shows well and no one can give me any suggestions to what I can do to get more interest other then reducing the property more. Would it help to have a better(?) realtor?? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 04:08 PM

982 posts, read 1,099,848 times
Yes, it matters who your realtor is. Are they keeping in touch with you? Are they giving you feedback? Have they shown you where/how they're advertising your property, what networking sites/clubs/etc., they belong to and are pitching your property at? Brochures? How did your pictures turn out? How are you priced compared to others in your area? Are you getting equal or better traffic than other homes in your area?

There are a bunch of realtors, just like any other profession, that are lazy and incompetent. They get the listing and do nothing. If you have one of these, time to have a serious conversation with them and their broker.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 PM

196 posts, read 574,306 times
Yes, it does matter who you use as a realtor. A good realtor knows the market and knowing the market, means knowing how to price a home as well as knowing what type of buyer your home will appeal to and markets to that buyer. The realtor may not have a buyer (thus he/she is not showing your home), but what is she doing to get other realtors with buyers to show your home?

We have sold many times in our life time and the lesson I have learned is that a good realtor does make a huge difference. Look around at homes that are selling - is there a particular realtor that seems to be selling (not just listing homes, but actually selling and closing) in the area? Sometimes it is a specific realtor and sometimes it is a smaller realty company that dominates an area.

I don't think that adding to the realtor's commission is that effective. I think that pricing correctly in the best thing you can do to sell. If you are in a declining market, price your home BELOW what the most recent comp that has sold. And if it is a starter home, sweeten the pot by offering some type of credit for closing costs.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:19 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,376 times
Also does your agent have a good reputation with other agents. If you consistently get advise to lower your price then I would think that is what you should do. If your area has open houses on weekends, it never hurts to check them out. Avoid talking to other agents as much as possible when you do this - look at the homes - the size, condition, lot, location, traffic, schools neighborhood. Not the paint color, personality of home, furniture and cleanliness.
Also, does it matter who your lawyer is?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:51 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,896,079 times
Quote:
My Realtor has never shown it. My property has been shown several times but it has always been by a different realtor with a different company. I have reduced the price and also offered a bonus to the realtor that sells it but nothing yet
If you ask most of the Realtors® I believe that you will find they generally do not sell their own listings. Yes there will be those times when it happens but it is not the norm, especially if you are in a state without transaction brokerage. It's just not the norm.
I don't know where you are, so I don't know your market but in my market? If you said one month, people would be smiling, thinking, that's a joke, right? You are having showings. The feedback you are getting is to reduce the price. Obviously that isn't sitting well with you and you don't want to do that. That is your decision. But...what I would suggest is to remove that bonus to the agent and at least reduce the price by that much.
Does it matter who your Realtor® is? Sure, you want someone competent, that knows how to market, that you can communicate with and they with you, that understands the market. Have you spoken to your agent about your feelings? If you were a buyer and looked online, would your listing as it's shown prompt you to pick up the phone? Do YOU understand your market?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,394,522 times
Is she present for the showings? We almost always go to the property a few minutes early and open windows, turn on lights, make sure no one forgot dirty clothes in the floor etc. We also point out certain features that the other agent does not know about. We have a color flyer to give them. Obviously we don't hover and follow them every minute but we want to be available to answer questions (which always come up) if necessary.

Pricing is vital; I too believe that one should price very competively and aggresively.

However, all that said, it's a very difficult market right now and even the best agent with the most accurately priced property which is advertised and marketed well can have no action in the form of offers for months.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,495 times
hEY MTDREAMER, like the posters have stated, most of the time, Id say 75 or 80% plus, most list agents do not sell. The market is so competitive, you wil probably need to lower price, or be prepared to sit for a while. Surley your agent, had prepped you for showings, to get the best possible. Little things like, depersonalize, remove all family picts, and declutter as much as possible, and if necessary, put as much furniture away, even if you have to store it. You want buyers to see as much usuable sf, as possible and if your paint colors are too bright, then paint asap to neutral colors. Every showing, should have a follow up, and you could even send the good reports, an offer to sale, naming your price. Good luck, and get er done.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:01 PM

148 posts, read 389,245 times
Thanks for all the help. I live in Kentucky and this is not a depressed market where I am at. There are new businesses coming in here and a new mall. I asked my realtor to set the price of the home originally then came down in price when I had few lookers. I have no clutter or personal items and stage my house nicely before each showing but my realtor does not come with the showing agent. The house is large, 4/4/2 plus an additional brick detached second garage with a second floor above and on acreage so it feels very open with large rooms. There seem to be many realtors in the area. How do you find out who is selling the best? I noticed a realtor car go by in traffic yesterday and it had '#1 selling agent' stenciled on the back window. Would it be a good thing to believe that and contact that realtor? Feedback on my house is always good and that it shows well. Is neat and clean. I know being on the market for only a month or two is not long but I just wish more people were looking at it. I was not happy with some of the pictures the realtor had posted as his camera was not as good as mine so I took some new pictures and he added those to the listing. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:22 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer View Post
How do you find out who is selling the best?
Your best bet is to go visit a few title companies, and ask those people who brings them the most business.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:58 AM

982 posts, read 1,099,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer View Post
Thanks for all the help. I live in Kentucky and this is not a depressed market where I am at. There are new businesses coming in here and a new mall. I asked my realtor to set the price of the home originally then came down in price when I had few lookers. I have no clutter or personal items and stage my house nicely before each showing but my realtor does not come with the showing agent. The house is large, 4/4/2 plus an additional brick detached second garage with a second floor above and on acreage so it feels very open with large rooms. There seem to be many realtors in the area. How do you find out who is selling the best? I noticed a realtor car go by in traffic yesterday and it had '#1 selling agent' stenciled on the back window. Would it be a good thing to believe that and contact that realtor? Feedback on my house is always good and that it shows well. Is neat and clean. I know being on the market for only a month or two is not long but I just wish more people were looking at it. I was not happy with some of the pictures the realtor had posted as his camera was not as good as mine so I took some new pictures and he added those to the listing. Thanks for any help.
Your realtor should've had a professional take the pictures. Did he/she put a virtual tour on your listing? These are mandatory in my opinion. The real estate agent has to bring value that you, as an FSBO, wouldn't, in order to justify their fee. If they can't even do the basics up front like professional pictures and a virtual tour, it's unlikely they're going to get your house sold for you any quicker than you could do it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate