Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:27 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had a RE company do this? I know several advertise it. Is it for real and how much do they discount the asking price?

There's a nationwide company that says they do this. I have spoken to them 3 times asking what I thought were very clear questions. I can't seem to get a straight answer. All I want to know is if it lists for $x and doesn't sell, what is their buying price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 12:50 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,141 times
The company I used to work for was a national company that offers to buy your home if it doesn't sell. It can be a fail-safe plan if your home qualifies. With this particular company, you have to get (and pay for upfront) an appraisal by an independent appraiser approved by the company. Your home must must be listed at to no more than 10% above the appraised value. During the 6-month listing period you may accept any offer from a buyer. If your home does not sell during the listing period, then this company will buy it for 90% of the appraised value. They will then immediately put it on the market again. If it sells for more than what they bought it from you for, they will pay you the additional money less costs.

Of course I've not gone into all the details. All in all it's a nice guarantee to a seller that has to move in a slow market. There are quite a few hoops to jump through and alot of paperwork (especially for the agent), but it might be worth looking into, depending on your situation. A word of caution, though, make sure you use an agent that is familiar with the program and has used it before (or has a broker who's very familiar with the program).

Last edited by Gretchen B; 04-08-2007 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-08-2007, 01:10 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
That doesn't sound so bad! I was going to lose 7% on commissions anyway. That's only 3% more.......

Thanks! I'm going to call those people again. I expected you to tell me it wasn't for real!

Old 04-08-2007, 08:38 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
I don't know. I think many do what they want. In phx, we have many of these companies and I hear they low ball pretty bad. Some sellers just need out of the homes, so they take it. I don't hear of anything that they will give you money back. That would be a laugh out here. They take the house and run with any profits.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:18 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,141 times
Wink It's Real, but probably not Realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I don't know. I think many do what they want. In phx, we have many of these companies and I hear they low ball pretty bad. Some sellers just need out of the homes, so they take it. I don't hear of anything that they will give you money back. That would be a laugh out here. They take the house and run with any profits.
No, really, it's for real. In writing and everything. However, it's mostly a listing tool. They seldom up end up actually having to purchase a home. Here's why:
1) During the list period the seller agrees to drop his price every few weeks until it's down at that at that 90% below appraisal point. (Obviously the idea is if the home is priced that competitively, it will sell.)
2) Not all homes qualify for the program. There are alot of homes that will not qualify, i.e. too old, not in top condition, bad location, too large, too small, etc. In other words, they'll only accept the most saleable homes to begin with.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:31 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
I was just reading about the ERA Sellers Security Plan. I wonder if my house would qualify.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:53 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
if they are really going to do it, when you sit down to write out your listing agreement they should also have a purchase agreement to fill out that has some kind of no sell contingiency

Old 06-25-2013, 01:43 PM

97 posts, read 356,949 times
Default Buy your home program

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
That doesn't sound so bad! I was going to lose 7% on commissions anyway. That's only 3% more.......

Thanks! I'm going to call those people again. I expected you to tell me it wasn't for real!
You were not paying attention, she said 10% below the appraised value and you also have to subtract "costs" which include realtor fees plus legal fees for the first sale, etc. Not as great as it sounds and if your home is a short sale, they won't do it at all. Your home needs to "qualify", you also need to make the home very available, lockbox, don't turn down showing times, keep the home spotless, etc. basically the things home sellers should be doing anyway but don't always.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:48 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
In AZ the home would be purchased at 10% to 25% below appraised value, if it qualified for the program. Regardless of whether the house sold to a regular buyer or to the realtor group, the seller STILL had to pay RE commissions and (get this) if you opted for this program, the standard 6% commission increased to 8%.

And to find out the details, we had to sit through a sixty minute canned presentation (not specific to our home.)

Such a deal!!!! NOT.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
If it sounds too good to be true, odds are, it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate