Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:04 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times

Advertisements

The wife and I will be looking for a home in the next month or so.

One of my requests to my realtor when we find a home is "closing costs." I do not want to pay for closing costs.

Is it unrealistic of me when I put in a bid to request the seller to pay closing costs? I would then probably pay the sellers asking price if I feel as though it's a good price.

I'd like to hear feedback from you guys on this, even people currently selling a home.

If you're selling a home for $135k, the buyer offers you $135k but seller must pay closing would you take the offer? Of course the situation could be different for some. Closing is usually 3.5% of the sale price. So you would really be getting 96.5% of your asking price?

Just trying to set expectations for myself.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
You do understand that you, the buyer, are actually paying the closing costs and not the seller, right?

In your example, you offer $135k and ask for $5000 for the seller to pay closing costs. That means the seller only netted $130k, and YOU, the buyer, financed the extra $5000 over a 30 year term (or whatever your rate terms are).

NO seller EVER actually pays closing costs.

So, if the house is listing at $135k and the asking price is actually a very good asking price, you're probably going to need to ask $140k in order to get your closing costs paid of the $5k.

The seller doesn't care about closing costs, they care about the money in their pocket. They want to net what they want to net.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:25 PM

That makes sense, thank you for your answer.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
you should have money saved for a down payment plus closings costs or don't buy
I am not sure who left me the feedback, but thank you. In response to your statement I have money for both down payment and closing. I like to have as little money out of pocket as possible when going to buy a house aside from the down payment. I undertsand it would be better to pay the closing myself, thus lowering my monthly mortgage and payment. If I do not have to pay out of pocket for closing costs at the time of the sale, and spend an extra $25 a month on my mortgage it would be worth it to me.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:33 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You do understand that you, the buyer, are actually paying the closing costs and not the seller, right?

In your example, you offer $135k and ask for $5000 for the seller to pay closing costs. That means the seller only netted $130k, and YOU, the buyer, financed the extra $5000 over a 30 year term (or whatever your rate terms are).

NO seller EVER actually pays closing costs.

So, if the house is listing at $135k and the asking price is actually a very good asking price, you're probably going to need to ask $140k in order to get your closing costs paid of the $5k.

The seller doesn't care about closing costs, they care about the money in their pocket. They want to net what they want to net.
If he just happen to offer 135K ("the good asking price") and 5K in closing and if the seller accepts it, then what?

Old 06-04-2009, 01:14 PM

381 posts, read 1,365,849 times
When we sold our house, the buyers offered full asking price and asked that some of their closing costs be paid. We agreed. It can't hurt to ask!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:21 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
If you aren't asking for anything else, like for a fence to be installed, or for lots of repairs or updates to be done, I would take that deal.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
If you aren't asking for anything else, like for a fence to be installed, or for lots of repairs or updates to be done, I would take that deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camrynh View Post
When we sold our house, the buyers offered full asking price and asked that some of their closing costs be paid. We agreed. It can't hurt to ask!
Cool, thanks for your feedback!

Old 06-04-2009, 04:05 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
I am selling my house in northern VA (outside of Washington, DC). My house went under contract only DAYS after it went on the market. It's a hot market for my area, type of house, etc. The new Buyer offered $8,000+ over the Asking Price and he would pay all Closing Costs. He out-bid all of the others because he offered more AND he offered to pay the Closing Costs.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:11 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
If he just happen to offer 135K ("the good asking price") and 5K in closing and if the seller accepts it, then what?
I was just giving a scenario. In the lower-end price ranges, more times than not, you have to go above the asking price in order to come below it with closing costs. Maybe he wants to do $137k with 5k which means the seller nets $132k instead of the full asking of $135k.

It's the higher price ranges where the sellers have more wiggle room to come off their prices to allow for closing costs. In the lower prices, they go up in price for the same effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate