Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:38 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipamo View Post
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

I've been planning on selling my home FSBO and realize that one way or another I should list on the MLS for maximum exposure. I've been considering one of those generic Internet flat fee sites offering services basic MLS listing packages for $300, etc. until I just recently ran across a local Realtor offering a listing package for $1000 flat fee plus 3% offered to the buyer's agent.

Included in the $1000 is:

-Photos of the home.
-MLS lock box.
-Signs.
-MLS submission (for all major real estate websites)
-Handling of all paperwork and negotiations from start to finish.

No local advertising in the paper. No flyers printed. I would field phone calls from buyer's agents wanting to view the home.

I'm confident in my ability to take appropriate photos of my home and already have professional-looking FSBO signs. The lock box probably isn't urgent as I have dogs at home that I plan on taking offsite when buyers visit (ie, while my showing times are flexible, I'll need to come home anyway at the time of the showing and will leave the home unlocked). I've gone through one FSBO transaction as a seller before with vacant land that was very straightforward, though I'm less clear of the paperwork involved with an actual home sale. I feel reasonably comfortable analyzing a submitted offer, but obviously would feel more comfortable with an agent looking it over. I also would offer the 3% buyers commission either way. I've also already had two comparative market analysis's completed with similar results, so that I feel comfortable with my potential listing price.

So my question is this: Is having the sign of a local agency, having a local agent handle closing paperwork, and having an MLS lock box worth the extra $700? Are buyer's agents more likely to check out a home listed by a local agent MLS versus a generic flat fee MLS agency?

I'm being laid off from job Decemebr 31st, so every dollar is reasonably important at the moment. Thanks.
I guess you know what you can expect as an answer. If a realtor answers it probable wll be an answerlike "in todays market it won't sell"....

IMO it depends on how the price of your house is and the pictures and description of your house....lately many bankowned have been sold in my neighborhood and although listed with realtors, they never show up to show the home and just give out the lockbox numbers...probable because the commission is low for them and they know the price is low so it will sell and they did sell fast.

If your house as a lot of issues than you might need a realtor but if you know what you are doing you could at least try to do it they way you did before...

If you would sign with a realtor I would suggest you sign only a short term contract and if they keep doing what they promiss upfront, than you can extend the contract. I know it isn't always about selling the home if the realtor is good, it is also about if the realtor keeps doing what he promissed before signing the contract and if he is still doing it after 2 or 3 weeks into the listing...Many realtors give up after 2 or 3 weeks and move to the next listing or tell you that you have to lower the price. A good realtor will start with a reasonable listing price and not lower it all the time. If the start lower it a buyer could think and wait for the next price discount.

A good realtor who has self confidence will sign a short term contract and know you will extend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
Quote:
If a realtor answers it probable wll be an answerlike "in todays market it won't sell"....
Tsh Tsh... I said nothing of the sort.
By the way..reading my post I said this
Quote:
so it's not like you aren't going to have to do that on your own.
instead of this "
Quote:
so it's not like you ARE going to have to do that on your own
. I can't edit it.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:45 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
None of us will know it's a good deal, or a great deal or an awful one until it's over.

It's over when you close - and you got a % of your asking price, minus concessions, and repairs.

or

When you are not getting the response you need, and hire a full service/full fee or menu of service brokerage for other services that you feel you need.

Until then,

good luck.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 PM

353 posts, read 1,021,073 times
You get what you pay for... the reason that Foxtons and others bit the dust.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
So post a link to the statute or regulations vice chair.
Oh, because you don't know how to do a Google search?
Here are two links, one of them giving a very lengthy description of what it means so that a 5th grader can understand it.

http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/admi...portfy2005.pdf

[SIZE=3]http://www.abor.com/news_media/PublicAwareness/ServiceFacts.pdf[/SIZE]

Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 PM

830 posts, read 1,064,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
I am currently listed with a Flat Fee MLS agent and I've had plenty of realtors calling me for showings.
I am with a listing only Broker and I got a ton of realtor calls too until my house went under agreement and then the sale fell through and since then it's been dead in comparison.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The listing agents must negotiate on the behalf of their clients, they must provide comps to their clients, they must help get their clients to closing, and several other "minimum requirements".
Neither of those links say this. They say that they have to answer their questions, but it does't say anything about providing comps, nor negotiating. Assisting to me doesn't mean negotiating. From what I read on that form, a seller could still fill out their own paperwork and ask the agent whatever questions they wanted, and then give the document back to the listing agent to forward onto the buyer agent.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Neither of those links say this. They say that they have to answer their questions, but it does't say anything about providing comps, nor negotiating. Assisting to me doesn't mean negotiating. From what I read on that form, a seller could still fill out their own paperwork and ask the agent whatever questions they wanted, and then give the document back to the listing agent to forward onto the buyer agent.
I don't have time to argue with you, but what do you think this means: "may not instruct another broker to negotiate directly with his or her client." That means the LISTING AGENT must do the negotiating with the buyers' agent!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I don't have time to argue with you, but what do you think this means: "may not instruct another broker to negotiate directly with his or her client." That means the LISTING AGENT must do the negotiating with the buyers' agent!
You aren't arguing with me, you are explaining it to the public. The way you explained it before doesn't jive, from my perspective, with what those links say.

And no, for the record I don't think that because it says that it means that the listing agent has to negotiate for the clients. The client can still strategize their own negotiation, they just have to present it through the listing agent. I think that is different than an agent handling the negotiation.

A client can still write up their own offer without agent assistance if they want to and then just give it to the listing agent. The agent just has to be available to answer questions.

Is forwarding a fax negotiation by your definition?

Old 06-08-2009, 12:24 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
I am with a listing only Broker and I got a ton of realtor calls too until my house went under agreement and then the sale fell through and since then it's been dead in comparison.
Often the difference in agents is not apparent until "it" hits the fan. If there are no problems you may never know different. So it's not how much you're paying, but how much your netting and if you hit any real problems or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate