Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,444 times

Advertisements

Even state-level statistics are too broad. You really want to boil it down to something as local as zipcode, school district, or whatever you'd call a neighborhood. After studying all the predictions and trends, I've decided for myself that the only one that matters in terms of finding a bottom is inventory/months-of-supply in my specific search area.

I've heard that in a "balanced" market, 6 months supply is normal. Anything higher and prices will be dropping, anything lower and prices will creep up (excepting multi-million dollar properties which take longer to sell).

8 months supply is probably a safe entry point where you won't get burned too badly.

(All that barring something new and extreme happening-- or-- going into a Japanese downtrend that is a slow bleed over 15+ years).

Take your best guess, don't look back and don't apologize. No one knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 PM

220 posts, read 1,028,313 times
Low price homes are in big demand in CA. Right now there is less than a 3 month supply of homes under $500k due to first time buyers snatching them up and investors buying them and renting them out, sometimes to the previous owner. The bottom will not hit at the same time across the whole nation, in some areas where the bubble began, the bottom hit in January. Other parts of the country are still declining.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:06 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_1000 View Post
Low price homes are in big demand in CA. Right now there is less than a 3 month supply of homes under $500k due to first time buyers snatching them up and investors buying them and renting them out, sometimes to the previous owner. The bottom will not hit at the same time across the whole nation, in some areas where the bubble began, the bottom hit in January. Other parts of the country are still declining.
Which areas/cities specifically are you talking about Glenn?

Latest Case Shiller stats showing 3rd quarter 2009: http://www2.standardandpoors.com/spf...ory_052619.xls

According to the data, nowhere "bottomed" in January. Every single city listed showed further declines between January and March

In addition - take a look at the data in this report http://moremortgagemeltdown.com/down...age_crisis.pdf - specifically pages 42-88 - some very sobering information for anyone who thinks we've hit bottom anywhere.

Last edited by London Girl; 06-20-2009 at 09:07 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 03:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I've spoken to a few realtors about the situation and I am getting mixed reviews. One says it's the bottom from all the magazines she's read, the other says we got a while to go. I don't know whose advice to take. It's frustrating.
I still follow the market where we came from and it is big up and big down market. I still get the listings via MLS from our agent. Everything is different but the Raleigh market is not like many others and is not taking as big a hit nor did it have as big a gain. What I am seeing there is the emergence of different markets withing the broader market. Some neighborhoods are stabilizing and others aren't. Schools make a big difference along with other factors. Affordability and supply demand seem to be the driving factors. Only so many houses can and will sell at any given price point and the ride up produced more then folks can afford or want to afford today. Some will sell and others will need to be reduced and reduced etc.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:35 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I still follow the market where we came from and it is big up and big down market. I still get the listings via MLS from our agent. Everything is different but the Raleigh market is not like many others and is not taking as big a hit nor did it have as big a gain. What I am seeing there is the emergence of different markets withing the broader market. Some neighborhoods are stabilizing and others aren't. Schools make a big difference along with other factors. Affordability and supply demand seem to be the driving factors. Only so many houses can and will sell at any given price point and the ride up produced more then folks can afford or want to afford today. Some will sell and others will need to be reduced and reduced etc.

That's kind of good news for me b/c I really want to come there, but don't want to be outpriced. Schools are important to me being my son has 3 years of high school left. I have seen some good deals there, but also the area plays a big factor as you said.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:18 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
That's kind of good news for me b/c I really want to come there, but don't want to be outpriced. Schools are important to me being my son has 3 years of high school left. I have seen some good deals there, but also the area plays a big factor as you said.
Remember this the sooner you get out of a declining market the more you will still have in equity when you sell.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:48 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Remember this the sooner you get out of a declining market the more you will still have in equity when you sell.
Yeah, I know. I just lowered the price on my house for the second time. I hope to sell soon before my son goes back to school in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate