Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:20 AM

51 posts, read 156,191 times

Advertisements

Well, it's not a big problem, but I do not want my agent to feel I am looking in areas not covered by her and feel threatened by that, because sometimes I just browse online other suburbs on a whim with no real interest in them. My agent belongs to a brokerage and if I check any property online that belongs to the brokerage where she works, she always seems to know I am browsing. Is this possible and if so how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:32 AM

17,427 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Because you registered on the site under her.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 AM

51 posts, read 156,191 times
But say, I was checking properties in a suburb which she doesn't cover, does she still know about it? I am usually taken to the brokerage's website through a link. So how does she know I am browsing a particular property if it wasn't sent to me by her?

Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 AM

17,427 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeshera View Post
But say, I was checking properties in a suburb which she doesn't cover, does she still know about it? I am usually taken to the brokerage's website through a link. So how does she know I am browsing a particular property if it wasn't sent to me by her?
If you're signed into the site - her brokerage - it can track wherever you go.

Why not just be honest with her and tell her you're just surfing to be curious? And it's possible that she's getting a feel for what you like (and what to keep an eye out for you) by the listings that you're clicking on.

If it's bothering you that much, find a different site to surf. But I can't see why it should - you're using her to help you find a home ... your likes and dislikes shouldn't really be a secret from her.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:42 AM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
As chuckity said those sites have tracking software.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
If you are concerned about privacy, why not use Realtor.com and/or Truilia?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeshera View Post
Well, it's not a big problem, but I do not want my agent to feel I am looking in areas not covered by her and feel threatened by that, because sometimes I just browse online other suburbs on a whim with no real interest in them. My agent belongs to a brokerage and if I check any property online that belongs to the brokerage where she works, she always seems to know I am browsing. Is this possible and if so how?
Wow I would find that annoying! I found my realtors local site much better than realtor.com, zillow etc. but I never actually signed in. I often wonder if they could still track me just surfing around? They would see the activity but not know it was me? Whatever. Sometimes I still surf around to see how things are going with the market.

I don't get why you feel you have to buy something that is "covered" by your agent? It should be about you and what you want. I think they should respect your privacy, unless you bring it up specifically.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:38 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,985,858 times
I think some folks sometimes misinterpret what aspects should be private and what doesn't really matter.

For me, browsing other areas is no big deal, and unless your agent has contractual agreements that they can't sell in other areas, they're still available to help you.

Over 6 months, I diversified my search area 3 times before ending up with the current property (which did end up in the area I was primarily looking at anyways). I had nothing to hide by looking to see if the pasture was greener on the other side or not (there were give and takes to everything). By allowing your agent to get a feel of what you're looking for, you'll be in a better position to get a house you really want, not just one that's "fine".

Old 07-17-2009, 02:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times
You could clear your cookies on your browser and that would eliminate the tracking.

I have a couple of clients who are loyal but they drop by my website every day.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times
Default Clear Cookies

Tools/Internet Options/Browsing History
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate