Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:36 AM

166 posts, read 828,457 times

Advertisements

So we are closing this Tuesday. Have not had much contact with the buyers. We have already started receiving mail for them, guess they have started changing the address. Our realtor checked with theirs, and they want us to hold on to them and leave it for them when they move in.

My question is - along with that, I am planning to leave a folder with some information they might find useful ( they are moving from another state). Things like the lawn guy's contact information, the cleaners we used, the contractor we used to so work around the house, things like that. Along with that, I was thinking of putting in some stuff about the house itself they might find useful - the one thing is the closet light - it does not come on as soon as you flip the switch, it takes a couple of mins, also the timers for the sprinkler system...things like that. Do you think that is overkill? Should I leave the contact information of the services we used? Should I leave these tidbits about the house?

This is the first time we are doing this, and wanted your opinions.

Thanks,

Beth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Not overkill at all, I'm sure it will be appreciated. We did the same thing, and my husband even went over a couple weeks after we closed because they couldn't figure out something and he went over to show them.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 AM

15,583 posts, read 40,450,935 times
I had a seller make a mini booklet for some buyers about the house and they loved it. I have had sellers meet with buyers to explain a few things about the house and maintenance (especially around hot tubs) and it was appreciated.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Probably will be appreciated if the deal has gone smoothly, but BE CAUTIOUS about revealing anything that could come back to haunt you. I would suggest that you have a trusted friend read through anything to make sure that there is no hint at any "defects" that would be the basis for a suit alledging that you hide things from the disclosure...

Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Too bad more sellers do not do this. Every house, new or old, has quirks.

A quirk is not the same thing as a material problem that should be disclosed up front.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:38 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,140,609 times
I would recommend disclosing everything, and writing down the "quirks" of the house as an addendum to the seller's disclosures, rather than handing them to the buyers after the sale.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:06 AM

166 posts, read 828,457 times
Thanks for all your responses.

I guess, the only quirk would be the light in the closet. Not sure if putting it down as an addendum is worth it.

So, the general consensus, seems to be that it is not overkill.

Beth.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Too bad more sellers do not do this. Every house, new or old, has quirks.

A quirk is not the same thing as a material problem that should be disclosed up front.
Exactly. We had a quirk with the HVAC system in our last house, the system was fine, there was just a quirk with the two thermostats in the house. One controlled heat only, the other controlled heat and a/c. Not a material problem, just a quirk.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:57 PM

145 posts, read 610,020 times
good question...

When we bought our house the seller had the manuals for EVERYTHING, the garage door, ceiling fans, sump pump, HVAC, refrig, dishwasher, stove. She left these out on the table for when prospective buyers toured the house. It impressed us that she took care of the home.
We used those owners' manuals the first day when we had to change our keyless garage door opener security code, a year later when the dishwasher quit and we found it to be under warranty, again when the HVAC needed a compressor and blades... which was again under warranty. We would not have known this without original documentation.

The house was only 4 years old. Now 5 years later we are selling the house. I took the manuals and put them in plastic sheet covers and inserted into a 3 ring binder. I even have the information on the paint colors and left extra paint for touchups (in case lil johnny writes on the wall) and made note of the location of the paint, where purchased, how old, what room each color had etc....

The manual looks very nice with a cover, I was able to insert my own cover sheet. I inserted the MLS listing sheet for room sizes (in case years later they need to order new flooring), a page of information regarding sprinkler company, schools, trash service. Most importantly, the buyer's agents do not know that the bathroom downstairs is plumbed for a shower/tub. We got hailed on and so I left information about the roofing company and their warranty and the color of the shingles.

Good idea all the way around!

Old 07-31-2009, 03:08 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,131 times
We left lots of info too, a CD about all the plants in the garden and how to care for them, all manuals, warranties, paint colors, guidebooks to walkable attractions and plenty of tips about the "quirks" of our 100 year old house.

It took me a long time, but I loved that house and they loved it too, so it felt a bit like passing the torch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate