Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

House with land: water rights, pool restrictions, hour commute, underground piping, hauled water

Old 04-26-2007, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,528 times

Advertisements

We live in the mountains of Colorado and my husband may be transferred to the Phoenix area. Is there anywhere to get a house that has a little land-and what is the water situation like there-here we have to apply for water rights if you have a well on your property-are there restrictions for putting in a pool? I guess i just need some idea as to where a nice area is to live-our children are grown so I do not have to worry about schools-do not want to live in crowded area - my husband drives over an hour each way now to get to work- only have around 300,000 to 350,000 to spend-thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 11:54 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,211,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnickel View Post
We live in the mountains of Colorado and my husband may be transferred to the Phoenix area. Is there anywhere to get a house that has a little land-and what is the water situation like there-here we have to apply for water rights if you have a well on your property-are there restrictions for putting in a pool? I guess i just need some idea as to where a nice area is to live-our children are grown so I do not have to worry about schools-do not want to live in crowded area - my husband drives over an hour each way now to get to work- only have around 300,000 to 350,000 to spend-thanks for any info
you should ALWAYS worry about schools think of resale

Old 04-26-2007, 01:29 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,169,481 times
Quote:
This should be posted in the Phx subforum for better results. Plus, add a little more (or better anyway) punctution so it reads easier. Anyway, it may be difficult to find an area that you are looking for that won't be more than an hour commute to work. Also, to be in your price range as well.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:49 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,858 times
Default A Little AZ Information

Quote:
Hi pnickel - I'll hopefully be able to answer some of your questions, since I live in sunny AZ I'm about 70 miles north of the Phoenix metro area, but I lived in "The Valley" for a couple of years.

First of all, your price range should provide you with some decent options in housing. However, keep in mind that the more land you want, the bigger the price tag. Thus if you're wanting something on an acre or more, then I think it would be tough to find that in your price range. There might be a few mfg'd homes on a 1 to 3 acre parcel in the New River area in your price range, but water is an issue. Most people haul water there. You could try Black Canyon City, too, as water is either a well or private water company supplier (underground piping, not hauled water). If you decide to opt for a regular sized .18 to .25 acre lot in the Phoenix metro area, then you'll have a lot of nice site built homes to choose from, many with pools.

I'm not very familiar with some of the other areas to the south of Phoenix, so you might want to post your question on the Arizona forum and see what kind of responses you get there. Wickenburg is a nice area, too, and you might be able to find what you're looking for there. However if your husband didn't work on the west edge of Phoenix, he'd have more than an hour's drive. Actually, depending on where his office is, he'd probably be looking at more than an hour's drive to anywhere where there would be some land. There are a few acreage properties in older parts of Phoenix but they command very high price tags.

I hope this info helps you out a little bit. If you'd like to consider the Prescott area, I could give you LOTS of info. Best wishes to you - it's always exciting to contemplate moving to a new area. We moved to AZ from the Colorado/Nebraska area a few years ago. You'll find the Phoenix area to be much larger than the Denver area, and rural desert is alot different than rural Colorado. I don't know if you'd want to consider the Prescott area - it would be about a 1-1/2 hr commute and there are people up here that do it. We have mild 4 season weather and pine trees. Prescott is known as the Mile High Town, since we're at 5,000 ft elevation, just like Denver.

Anyway, come for a visit and check out your options. I'd be happy to try to answer your questions - feel free to post them on the forum or send me a Private Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate