Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherkyoo View Post
What can a home buyer do if the actual square footage is smaller than that which was reported? The realtor put 2150 finished sqft in MLS listing. But the appraisal came out that the house is 1994 sqft and the square footage in a public record of county is actually 1910sqft.

We are so disappointed about the fact that we want to cancel the contract. We live in VA. Can we cancel the contract and get our honest money back? Thank you for your advice.
I'm confused...do you no longer love the home? How is it really ANY different now that you know the true square footage? If if worked for you BEFORE you knew it's real sf, it should still work for you now.

In my opinion, price per square foot is really only the most important thing when you are building or buying new construction.

Keep the home and avoid the legal troubles of trying to get out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
In our area, We can use 3 sources for footage. 1. Tax records 2. An Appraisal 3. Builder Plans. As agents we quote our source in the MLS and we are protected. We don't just take someones word.

If the house appraises for the sales price I would not think you have an out on the contract. Five different appraisers can get 5 different measurements especially on 2 story homes.

I would want to see where the listing agent got her information. There could be some liability if she did not use an accepted source.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:

So we thought the house is 2150 finished square footage with 220 square footage to be finished.
Is this new construction? Who did you think was going to finish it?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 AM

19 posts, read 58,770 times
Quote:
What can a home buyer do if the actual square footage is smaller than that which was reported? The realtor put 2150 finished sqft in MLS listing. But the appraisal came out that the house is 1994 sqft and the square footage in a public record of county is actually 1910sqft.

We are so disappointed about the fact that we want to cancel the contract. We live in VA. Can we cancel the contract and get our honest money back? Thank you for your advice.
My question to you is, why didn't your realtor know this upfront? Or at least give you a heads up? Isn't that why you hired the realtor in the first place?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:48 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,843,475 times
Hi Esterkyoo, I don't know where you are in VA, but I am in Hampton Roads and also worked in the Richmond area.. both of those MLS's have a disclaimer that information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.

And just so everyone knows with sq footages, I can have 10 different folks come in to measure a home and get 10 different answers..... it is not an exact science!!

To Joseph Campbell, I believe the original poster means the listing agent listed the sq. footage incorrectly. Her buyers agent would not be doing a measurement of the house.

And for everyone: as an agent I do not measure the house. I take the information from sources that are deemed reliable, ie. tax records, previous appraisals, etc.

Shelly

Old 09-10-2009, 09:17 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
I love the phrase "honest money" in the OP's OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate