Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 11:38 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times

Advertisements

ok, so I'd really like to buy a home someday soon, but I have read that it's better to shop for financing as the first step.
My question is: should I talk with my bank, just to find out how much and what type of a loan I could qualify for? (I know that I can get VA financing), and I want to look into 1st time home buyer loans as well.
I just don't want to "waste" anyone's time if I don't buy within a certain time? (I'd like to see if I could use the $8000.00 home buyer credit also) I had plans to work overseas, and I'm still thinking over that decision, but I'm curious about my chances of buying a home as well.
(Sorry this was a long-winded question!) Any helpful ideas? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 12:18 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,929,715 times
I think its a good ideal to do your research, the first step is to figure out what you want in monthly expenses. I believe that a well run household will allocate 25% of the money taken in each month to the cost of shelter. That's true for renting as well as a home purchase. A mortgage lender may be able to qualify you for more but you shouldn't extend yourself much beyound that. You can use the net to determine what current rates are and calculate the monthly payments for an amount borrowed.
You are actually a bit late on the $8000 home buyer credit, you need to close by Dec 1,2009. So in order to take advantage you would need to make some quick decisions. I don't recommend making quick decisions when looking to purchase a home, especially your first.

You should know intuitively if you have good credit. If you pay your bills on time, then you probably have a good credit score. You should check your credit score once a year anyway.
If you have good credit then you will likely be able to find mortgage money. If you are in a rural area then USDA even has 100% financing. Check on USDA loans even if you don't think of your area being rural, you'd be surprised what areas qualify.

If you decide to purchase a home, then you are correct, the first step is to become pre-approved for a loan. Although it may sound self-serving I also believe that finding a good real estate agent can be a good first step. Look for someone that is experienced with first time buyers, someone that will be more of a consultant and less of a sales person.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Not long winded at all. A bit unfocused, but too is perfectly fine.

I strongly would encourage you to first determine what you can technically afford by using any of the simple debt:income calculators. Evaluate Your Debt - MSN Money Calculating Debt-to-Income Ratio usnews.com: Personal finance: Debt-to-income ratio calculator

If you ratio is currently 36 or less you can probably afford to spend more to get a mortgage. The size of the mortgage that you could qualify is an important factor to consider before you decide to go shopping. How much money can I borrow calculator CCH Financial Planning Toolkit | How Much Home Can You Afford?

If you are not comfortable having the maximum flow out the door then shop below the max. It is up to you.

If your casual search of newspaper and online listings find that there may be some properties that you are interested in and you are comfortable with their asking price then I would consider how long you intend to live in the property. The best tool that I have seen to allow you to test out the various costs of renting vs buying is far and away this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/10/bu...T_GRAPHIC.html

If you think you will be in the area long enough to justify owning I would then AND ONLY THEN meet with several loan sources. I recommend at least one each of credit union, traditional mortgage broker, and normal bank. You should not care too much about rates at first, but you want a trustworthy firm that has people that communicate honestly and in a timely fashion. They should explain what fees and total costs you should expect and do a free analysis that confirms the data about what you can afford.

I would then recommend diving more seriously into the search for homes and evaluate potential buyers agents.
Although this may sound like a lot of work I am sure that start to finish you could do this in just under a month and if things go really well you could be closed and in a new home in well under 90 days.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:52 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Also most loans are taking 45 days to close due to the new HERA, HOEPA regulations. So if you aren't under contract for a house by Oct 15th, chances are you won't get the tax credit.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 AM

thank you for the info! I was thinking of using a buyer agent, because they look out for the buyer's interest, at least this is what I understood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
I think its a good ideal to do your research, the first step is to figure out what you want in monthly expenses. I believe that a well run household will allocate 25% of the money taken in each month to the cost of shelter. That's true for renting as well as a home purchase. A mortgage lender may be able to qualify you for more but you shouldn't extend yourself much beyound that. You can use the net to determine what current rates are and calculate the monthly payments for an amount borrowed.
You are actually a bit late on the $8000 home buyer credit, you need to close by Dec 1,2009. So in order to take advantage you would need to make some quick decisions. I don't recommend making quick decisions when looking to purchase a home, especially your first.

You should know intuitively if you have good credit. If you pay your bills on time, then you probably have a good credit score. You should check your credit score once a year anyway.
If you have good credit then you will likely be able to find mortgage money. If you are in a rural area then USDA even has 100% financing. Check on USDA loans even if you don't think of your area being rural, you'd be surprised what areas qualify.

If you decide to purchase a home, then you are correct, the first step is to become pre-approved for a loan. Although it may sound self-serving I also believe that finding a good real estate agent can be a good first step. Look for someone that is experienced with first time buyers, someone that will be more of a consultant and less of a sales person.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:41 AM

thank you! very useful info.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not long winded at all. A bit unfocused, but too is perfectly fine.

I strongly would encourage you to first determine what you can technically afford by using any of the simple debt:income calculators. Evaluate Your Debt - MSN Money Calculating Debt-to-Income Ratio usnews.com: Personal finance: Debt-to-income ratio calculator

If you ratio is currently 36 or less you can probably afford to spend more to get a mortgage. The size of the mortgage that you could qualify is an important factor to consider before you decide to go shopping. How much money can I borrow calculator CCH Financial Planning Toolkit | How Much Home Can You Afford?

If you are not comfortable having the maximum flow out the door then shop below the max. It is up to you.

If your casual search of newspaper and online listings find that there may be some properties that you are interested in and you are comfortable with their asking price then I would consider how long you intend to live in the property. The best tool that I have seen to allow you to test out the various costs of renting vs buying is far and away this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/10/bu...T_GRAPHIC.html

If you think you will be in the area long enough to justify owning I would then AND ONLY THEN meet with several loan sources. I recommend at least one each of credit union, traditional mortgage broker, and normal bank. You should not care too much about rates at first, but you want a trustworthy firm that has people that communicate honestly and in a timely fashion. They should explain what fees and total costs you should expect and do a free analysis that confirms the data about what you can afford.

I would then recommend diving more seriously into the search for homes and evaluate potential buyers agents.
Although this may sound like a lot of work I am sure that start to finish you could do this in just under a month and if things go really well you could be closed and in a new home in well under 90 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate