Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 PM

12 posts, read 59,146 times

Advertisements

I have a question in regarding close of escrow date.
I was told that it's better to close of escrow at the beginning of the month so that I don't need to pay a lot at closing because of reserved mortgage payment.
So I put COE to be Nov.2, which is more than 45 days from now. My question is:
If the lender is ready to fund, say escrow receives loan doc. on Oct. 20. will I be forced to COE before Nov. 2? Or, even I deposit closing fund, and sign the loan papers, I can still demand COE to be on Nov. 2, as written on the purchase agreement. I notice escrow instruction read: COE be on or before Nov. 2.
Can anyone answer my questions? Thanks a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 09:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
I, personally, think closing at the beginning of the month is a horrible idea. Many reasons... one being you close on the house and then have to turn around and immediately make a mortgage payment 3 weeks later. You don't get your "free" month. Plus, if the seller has an FHA loan, he just paid an entire month of interest, but only owned the home for 2 days. That could be hundreds of dollars the seller could have saved by closing at the end of a month (not with conventional loans).

To answer your question, you need to close before your rate lock expires. Lenders don't always look at or care about contract closing dates. Your lender might have locked you into a 30 day rate without paying attention.

Also, if your loan program's criteria changes, you might not qualify anymore, so you might scramble last minute to get a new loan. It's best to close as soon as the loan is approved so they can't yank the funds from you. It's happened, and it will continue to happen as criteria changes daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate