Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM

386 posts, read 1,364,096 times

Advertisements

Hi - a builder that I know and trust offered to do a home inspection for us on the home we buy or build. We won't be able to use him as our builder b/c the lot we want to purchase will only let you use specific builders. I have seen comments from this forum saying inspectors are in bed with realtors and was wondering if I am better off using a reputable builder as the inspector rather than an inspection company. Would love to know your thoughts on this. Thx!

Last edited by dmwlakewylie; 10-13-2009 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: trying to fix typo in title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Because you read a comment made by an anonymous poster, on an internet forum, does not make it true. It is one person's generalization.

As for me, if in your situation, I would defer a final home inspection to a home inspector with thousands of personal inspections under his/her belt, as opposed to an inspection by a builder peer.

Having said this, new construction is not the same thing as resale. There are critical points during the build process that should be inspected by someone qualified to do so. Perhaps this is where you pal could serve a purpose.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post
Hi - a builder that I know and trust offered to do a home inspection for us on the home we buy or build. We won't be able to use him as our builder b/c the lot we want to purchase will only let you use specific builders. I have seen comments from this forum saying inspectors are in bed with realtors and was wondering if I am better off using a reputable builder as the inspector rather than an inspection company. Would love to know your thoughts on this. Thx!
If the builder you know is not charging you for performing the Home Inspection, is very knowledgeable in building and you not only trust them implicitly and are willing to take the chance then why not? The NC laws require anyone performing a home inspection for a fee be licensed to do so. You can find the HI laws for NC at Welcome to NC Office of State Fire Marshal.

Unfortunately you are correct that there are Home Inspectors out there "in bed with realtors". But one thing to consider is that as a licensed individual you will have more recourse against them than using an unlicensed and/or unpaid individual in the event your inspection is botched.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 AM

386 posts, read 1,364,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
If the builder you know is not charging you for performing the Home Inspection, is very knowledgeable in building and you not only trust them implicitly and are willing to take the chance then why not? The NC laws require anyone performing a home inspection for a fee be licensed to do so. You can find the HI laws for NC at Welcome to NC Office of State Fire Marshal.

Unfortunately you are correct that there are Home Inspectors out there "in bed with realtors". But one thing to consider is that as a licensed individual you will have more recourse against them than using an unlicensed and/or unpaid individual in the event your inspection is botched.

Good luck!
Thanks for the HI laws website, I did not know there was one.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Because you read a comment made by an anonymous poster, on an internet forum, does not make it true. It is one person's generalization.

As for me, if in your situation, I would defer a final home inspection to a home inspector with thousands of personal inspections under his/her belt, as opposed to an inspection by a builder peer.

Having said this, new construction is not the same thing as resale. There are critical points during the build process that should be inspected by someone qualified to do so. Perhaps this is where you pal could serve a purpose.
I'm having a new villa/condo built. Throughout the process the county inspectors have been checking on the work "according to code" - and the builder has a good reputation.

REAL ESTATE EXPERTS: curious if I should still have a final inspection (on my dime) by an independent inspector before accepting the house. It'll have a 2-10 warranty as well.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:54 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post

Good luck!
I agree with MaM.

I copied the quote because I don't believe there is much of this going on as I see posted. HI depend on doing home inspections for a living. If they miss things, they could get sued and/or lose their license. I don't know too many people willing to put their livelihood on the line for that, reward vs. risk. I think most Realtors and HI are good honest people but like anything else some are better than others.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:12 PM

65 posts, read 129,845 times
My wife and her fellow judges ruled on a massive case where thousands of new homes in a dozen 'resort style' areas were signed off by inspectors who never saw the houses. Fees were paid to te inspectors, including a guy who was dead bbefore he signed papers. Police are involved. I suspect the practice will go on a lot everywhere. Bear in mind hard times encourage desperation and short cuts too.

I suggest you make sure your building contract allows you/your builder to inspect each stage.

If that contract doesn't give you rights of access and inspection, you will be barred from the site.

And beware of clauses that might trigger payment if you set foot on the property early. I bet these 'standard terms' are drafted by the builders lawyers as his standard terms to stitch you up.

Read those contracts with a fine tooth comb.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilaketahoe View Post
My wife and her fellow judges ruled on a massive case where thousands of new homes in a dozen 'resort style' areas were signed off by inspectors who never saw the houses. Fees were paid to te inspectors, including a guy who was dead bbefore he signed papers. Police are involved. I suspect the practice will go on a lot everywhere. Bear in mind hard times encourage desperation and short cuts too.

I suggest you make sure your building contract allows you/your builder to inspect each stage.

If that contract doesn't give you rights of access and inspection, you will be barred from the site.

And beware of clauses that might trigger payment if you set foot on the property early. I bet these 'standard terms' are drafted by the builders lawyers as his standard terms to stitch you up.

Read those contracts with a fine tooth comb.
Good words of wisdom on the contract aspect!

skilaketahoe,

Do you have any links to that incident? It would most definitely be an interesting read and worth passing around to other Inspectors.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm having a new villa/condo built. Throughout the process the county inspectors have been checking on the work "according to code" - and the builder has a good reputation.

REAL ESTATE EXPERTS: curious if I should still have a final inspection (on my dime) by an independent inspector before accepting the house. It'll have a 2-10 warranty as well.
BucFan,

Yes, it is always well worth having an independent Inspector perform a final inspection prior to possession. It is very interesting the number of issues found on some of even the best builders homes. Builders want to build the perfect home for you but things happen and fall through the cracks sometimes. There are advantages to an inspection before possession and no real disadvantages. If you have a good Inspector and they find nothing then you have the peace of mind knowing nothing was wrong. I have yet to be in a new construction home where I did not find issues.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:38 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
thanks for the advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate