Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 06:37 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I met with a builder and their agent to discuss a house I was interested in purchasing. The deal did not work out but we did talk about the possibility of building a custom home instead. Now in the weeks since we met, I traded a couple of emails with the agent on the original house. One message they didn't reply to until I emailed them again to see if they received my email. On top of that they did not reply to my last email nor have they tried to find any property to build me a home on.

Now maybe I am naive, but aren't they in the business to sell real estate? Wouldn't you think that they would try to put a deal together on another property for this builder to build on for me? I am an interested buyer, told them that and they don't even bother to acknowledge an email or go a bit above and beyond? Am I missing something here? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 06:45 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
First most builders have employees and not agents so you need to take this to the Builders forums for an answer.

Why are they fat and lazy ? Don't ask me, I only deal with builders whose sales Reps are "Hot & Sexy"

You should deal with better builders. Even their sales staff usually work on commission, you would think they would work a little harder.

Last edited by Rakin; 11-25-2009 at 07:08 PM..

Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
First most builders have employees and not agents so you need to take this to the Builders forums for an answer.

Why are they fat and lazy ? Don't ask me, I only deal with builders whose sales Reps are "Hot & Sexy"

You should deal with better builders. Even their sales staff usually work on commission, you would think they would work a little harder.
So maybe this gal is on the right track after all?
//www.city-data.com/forum/11514008-post1.html

Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
Are you sure the agent will make a commision on the "custom" home with the builder? or did they get cut out of the deal? Why aren't you using your OWN agent? just asking!! That agent REPRESENTS the BUILDER, NOT YOU!! so you are not his/her concern. Ask those tough questions and you will find out what is going on. and don't be hating on fat and lazy.....

shelly

Old 11-26-2009, 09:33 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Have you specifically told them what you want? Get your own buyers agent, you'll be better off.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:51 AM

181 posts, read 409,175 times
As shellytc said, this agent works for the builder and not you. If you want an agent to work for you then you will need a buyers agent.

Last edited by Marka; 11-26-2009 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned quote

Old 11-26-2009, 09:26 PM

To answer a few of the questions here, the builder is a small local builder who builds a couple of spec homes per year, as well as building several custom homes. The builder is considered one of the better builders in our town. I had an agent for a couple of years but they are now semi-retired.

I say fat and lazy because during the boom years agents really did not have to do a lot of work to sell houses. I think they are just not interested in working a little bit to sell a home. Not sure why since the market is so slow.

Even if they do not get a commission on a custom home, they would get a commission on the lot. All they have to do is send me a list of available properties. When we met we did discuss some available lots and we figured out an approximate home size for my price range.

I realize I should have an agent and will probably get one soon. I just thought this agent would make an effort but she did not. Like I said she did not even bother to reply to my emails. To me that is just not good business. Thanks for the replies. Jay

Old 11-27-2009, 08:18 AM

179 posts, read 452,874 times
Unfortunately, what it sounds like to me is that she went from working a $$$ commision to a $ commision, and that is not so interesting to her. I'd call the office and ask for the name of a newer agent -- we don't have the luxury of picking higher dollar clients, and are willing to work harder for less money. Just one thought...

Old 11-27-2009, 08:19 AM

179 posts, read 452,874 times
PS -- either way, that is bad business. Your custom home will likely be very nice, and if you ever do choose to sell it, she has worked (or not worked for that matter) herself out of a future deal. Plus, so much of this business is referral based, and she will not be getting a rave review from you!

Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't know, but I agree with Amber. I won't be using that agent when I buy my next house or sell my current house. I just wonder if she is just being lazy. Seems strange to me. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate