Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,699,092 times

Advertisements

20 Year Old Buys Home With $183,000 FHA Loan And Just 3.5% Down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
I don't understand what the big surprise is. I have no trouble whatosever getting a loan for WAY more than I need, way more than I'm comfortable paying back on my income. All courtesy of the taxpayer.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:46 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,699,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I don't understand what the big surprise is.

I'm in my 20's , I have no trouble whatosever getting a loan for WAY more than I can possibly pay back. More money than I need.

Difference between me and her, I'm not an idiot. I like how you can hear police sirens wailing in the video. Just perfect.
Not surprised really but more pissed off that a bank in todays climate/enivornment would still ALLOW this to happen. But I guess when you have the Gov't to bail you out what is the harm right?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Not surprised really but more pissed off that a bank in todays climate/enivornment would still ALLOW this to happen. But I guess when you have the Gov't to bail you out what is the harm right?
What do you mean "banks allow this to happen" ?

Its the job of the banks to make loans, and pass them down the line, ultimately ending up as federal liabilities under the smorgasboard of TARP, TALF, FHA, PPIP, FDIC, FNMC, FNMA. That's how our economic system works. I don't blame the banks.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:59 AM

764 posts, read 1,598,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
What do you mean "banks allow this to happen" ?

Its the job of the banks to make loans, and pass them down the line, ultimately ending up as federal liabilities under the smorgasboard of TARP, TALF, FHA, FNMC, FNMA. That's how our economic system works. I don't blame the banks.
Not a bad deal if the banks can borrow unlimited funds at 0% from the taxpayer and lend same out at 6% with absolutely no risk to their balance sheet...others should be so fortunate....

Old 10-22-2009, 09:30 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,145,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
Not a bad deal if the banks can borrow unlimited funds at 0% from the taxpayer and lend same out at 6% with absolutely no risk to their balance sheet...others should be so fortunate....
Contrary to popular belief, the lenders do not receive the interest on the FHA, FNMA, Freddie loans. They are just a pass through.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,985,858 times
As a recent homebuyer (2-1/2 months!), I knew not to bite off more than I can chew. I worked hard to save for the downpayment, my monthly payments are within my means, I'm paying extra into the principle, and still have some "padding" in my bank account.

The oddest aspect I find is the DTI ratio; considering that practically everything is verified these days, how she ended up with that much for just the front-end ratio(!), I dunno.

FHA loans are well intended, but then, so were SISA(*) and NINJA(*) loans too before they were pawned off to the masses as their way into something beyond their means. Having a 10%, 20%, or even bigger downpayment was, and always represented a commitment that the buyer is in it to stay. Instead, they are being used (and abused) by "well-intended" folks who really shouldn't be "buying" at all but should've rented ... which is the way some end up looking at it all, personal credit be damned and all.

Sadly, the hardworking taxpayers are the ones who will ultimately be left holding the bag (debt).

-----

* - titles to loan classifications during the boom. Neither were verified, just backed by what was (or not) stated.
SISA = Stated Income, Stated Assets.
NINJA = No Income, No Job or Assets.

Last edited by Narfcake; 10-22-2009 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Grammar.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
The oddest aspect I find is the DTI ratio; considering that practically everything is verified these days, how she ended up with that much for just the front-end ratio(!), I dunno.
Same here. I thought FHA loans has pretty strict DTI guidelines.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
I dunno.

I am really torn.

The kid seems to "get it" on some level. I listened to the interview. The house was trashed. It was a STEAL in the SanFran area. It very well could be sold or rented to cover the costs. I personally have seen LOW PRICED rental home appreciate though improvement in much the same way the kid AND HER FAMILY has through periods of both boom and bust. The problem is that the houses generally get harder to find and the amount of work required to get back on appropriate return gets harder. If you don't have an exit strategy you end up trying to flip mansions and THAT does not work...

Flippers that improve a property and make a profit are not really a problem -- if this kid can't sell the "risk exposure" because if her is minute. I would like to think there are ways to CAPTURE some of the profit that she might have as windfall, but I suspect that is why the first time buyer's credit was structured to try and keep her and others in the house for a while and ultimately I dislike the POLICY of windfall taxes in general. Risk taking is needed to keep the country moving forward!

The other side of the coin is that I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE that she will eventually get tired of fixing up low cost houses. She might wise up soon enough to make money from her experience in other ways, maybe even getting more formal education. Over the really long haul that would PROBABLY be a better thing, but part of me knows that some folks have very nice life with just a 'practical' or hands-on sort of education.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:33 AM

355 posts, read 1,479,954 times
HAHAHAHA!!!

"The monthly payments on her debt amount to $1328. Her income is $2470, leaving her with just $285 a week to live on. She's paying 54% of her income to make the mortgage payments. She earns that income by holding down one full time and two part time jobs. Obviously, this woman has a strong work ethic. But it also means her income is precarious. With unemployment still rising, she obviously should be worried about losing one of her three jobs. A loss of one of them would likely leave her unable to make the debt payments."

A couple of comments on the above. $285 a week...certainly enough to survive on, though looking at her picture, I'm betting she goes through that much in food alone.

Strong work ethic? Possibly. Intelligent? Doubtful. Here is yet another classic example of what got us into this mess in the first place - overleveraging. 54% of her income is going to debt servicing, i.e. her mortgage!!! Working 3 jobs to afford the place!!! This home will be foreclosed by the end of 2010, no doubt about it.

"Tejada appears to be using imaginary numbers about the value of her house. She says that when she bought it, the house was just a “box” with no kitchen or bathroom. Now it is "gorgeous". She claims the renovation has increased the value of her home from $155,000 to $255,000.
"I bought my house for $155,000. And now, after all the fixing, after all the remodeling, my house is worth $255,000. So just within a month period, I made a $100,000,""

I MADE A $100,000!!! FLOL, even if there was some basis in reality for her ridiculous value increase claims, how much did the renovations set her back? Not to mention, you haven't "earned" or "made" anything...good luck extracting that paper gain. Jesus this is the same stupid mentality that helped land us where we are today. My God, this is madness.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate