Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:06 PM

142 posts, read 442,157 times

Advertisements

Hello. I know this has been debated before but let me try to ask it from my perspective:

I work full-time for a firm that does Commercial Appraisals for large institutional investors. We evaluate large Class A commercial properties: apartments, office, and retail properties. I have a Calif. Real Estate Broker's liscense; however, I have never used it.

I would like to sell RESIDENTIAL real estate (SFR or Condos) on a PART-TIME basis to supplement my income. My current job is Mon-Friday, 9am-6pm, with some flexibility as long as I get my work done.

I know someone who works full-time as an accountant but sells real estate during the evening/weekends. He does make time during the weekdays for closings, phone calls to clients, etc.

I am interested to hear pros and cons.....from people that have tried it or been in the business and seen people try this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 PM

737 posts, read 2,587,902 times
Your market is different so I can't speak to that. Maybe try the CA forum as well.

I personally would not hire a part-time RE agent as a buyer or seller. I've had enough nightmare experiences dealing with full-time, 20+ years-in-the-biz agents.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
I have thought about becoming a part time real estate agent. I was thinking more in terms of just being a helper to a full time agent. I don't even need to get paid. I would just do it for fun. Like open houses and show listings and stuff.

Is that what you were thinking as far as part-time?

Old 04-08-2010, 02:21 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
I don't like dealing with part-timers. They typically don't bother to learn what they should be doing because it's a side job for them.

With you being an appraiser and having a license already, it may work better for you than most. For the average Joe the yearly expenses make it not worthwhile but you're paying it anyway.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:40 PM

163 posts, read 452,664 times
My current listing agent is part-time right now. She's been doing real estate for five years and was a full time agent but the economy is kicking her butt so she had to take a part-time teaching job to supplement her income. In order to make sure we, and several other clients, have full-time service she's been partnering with another agent. Between both of them we can always get a hold of someone with questions or concerns.

Would that be an option for you?

Old 04-08-2010, 02:46 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I love to play with part timers. It just makes the day way more fun.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I have thought about becoming a part time real estate agent. I was thinking more in terms of just being a helper to a full time agent. I don't even need to get paid. I would just do it for fun. Like open houses and show listings and stuff.

Is that what you were thinking as far as part-time?
No, I would doing this to make money, of course splitting the commission with a more experienced full-time person.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I love to play with part timers. It just makes the day way more fun.
What do you mean??

Old 04-08-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thndrcloud View Post
My current listing agent is part-time right now. She's been doing real estate for five years and was a full time agent but the economy is kicking her butt so she had to take a part-time teaching job to supplement her income. In order to make sure we, and several other clients, have full-time service she's been partnering with another agent. Between both of them we can always get a hold of someone with questions or concerns.

Would that be an option for you?
Yes, I think so.

I know someone who is a FT accountant who has been selling real estate for about 5 years. He initally partnered with a full-time agent (with experience) to ensure good quality, 24 hour service.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:44 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDay70 View Post
Hello. I know this has been debated before but let me try to ask it from my perspective:

I work full-time for a firm that does Commercial Appraisals for large institutional investors. We evaluate large Class A commercial properties: apartments, office, and retail properties. I have a Calif. Real Estate Broker's liscense; however, I have never used it.

I would like to sell RESIDENTIAL real estate (SFR or Condos) on a PART-TIME basis to supplement my income. My current job is Mon-Friday, 9am-6pm, with some flexibility as long as I get my work done.

I know someone who works full-time as an accountant but sells real estate during the evening/weekends. He does make time during the weekdays for closings, phone calls to clients, etc.

I am interested to hear pros and cons.....from people that have tried it or been in the business and seen people try this.

I don't really care if someone is full time or part time as long as I can get a hold of them and they respond to requests in a timely manner. I have a transaction right now that will close two weeks late because it takes the agent 3-4 days to respond to a request. It's just hard to close deals when you are that slow.

If you are a highly organized person then I think you will be fine. Just make sure that you have everything you need online so that you can shoot off a fax from your phone, etc. It can be done. It isn't easy, but a lot depends on your skill level and ability to be organized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate