Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times

Advertisements

I used the word professional on purpose as opposed to hatchet job appraisers. HVCC has become problematic for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 PM

756 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I used the word professional on purpose as opposed to hatchet job appraisers. HVCC has become problematic for sure.
Understood. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 PM

203 posts, read 371,797 times
I live in Hendersonville and if I saw a house I wanted, I would make an offer on it. Believe me, Hendersonville is NOT exempt from what has happened nationally as far as real estate. Personally , being a native here, Bear Wallow would not be my preference, but that is very personal. . The house is lovely and 5 acres ! Quite frankly, that price seems very reasonable to me. Actually, Bear Wallow is not in Hendersonville. It is in Edneyville, which is east of Hendersonville. You may be surprised on what someone is willing to accept on a home that is on the market. What do you have to lose by making a ridiculous offer? Good luck!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:13 PM

Thanks Louise. Gotta sell this one first...

Old 12-11-2009, 04:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I routinely warn against average folks trying to "buy tires by the pound"!

A qualified professional appraiser that is using the same standards may choose to do do some $/sqft comparisons but as other posters have said the vagaries of listing prices and "what you are buying" make this like shaving with a hatchet -- something only a handful of people are capable of doing without leaving a bloody mess north of their own shoulders...

Even worse are the geniuses that see the value of house as like assembling a "pick two from column A and three from column B" exercise. Ever a seen a place with TWO full baths in the finished basement done in a slipshod way to "up the count"? Bedrooms sliced in two with drywall to make the house a "five bedroom" when all the identical models are 4s? Places that boast of "three fireplaces" where two of 'em are added with a jigsaw and Coleman Stove?

Yeah boy, those folks are BUILDIN' VALUE!!! Not...

Old 12-11-2009, 04:22 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
Love where this conversation is at....appraisers and comps. I am sitting here on 14 acres with almost 3000sf and almost every agent is saying price per sq. ft and not wanting to give "extra" for barn or pool, comparing to a house sitting on 5 acres with no amenities. Had many tell me my comps are $47/ sq ft, which would be a forclosure with out even lite fixtures. When I sold my rental house the appraiser was from Birmingham, 4 hrs away and had no idea what the area was. Told me he didn't even want to do the appraisal...........

Old 12-11-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I routinely warn against average folks trying to "buy tires by the pound"!

A qualified professional appraiser that is using the same standards may choose to do do some $/sqft comparisons but as other posters have said the vagaries of listing prices and "what your are buying" make this like shaving with a hatchet -- something only a handful of people are capable of doing without leaving a bloody mess north of their own shoulders...

Even worse are the geniuses that see the value of house as like assembling a "pick two from column A and three from column B" exercise. Ever a seen a place with TWO full baths in the finished basement done in a slipshod way to "up the count"? Bedrooms sliced in two with drywall to make the house a "five bedroom" when all the identical models are 4s? Places that boast a "three fireplaces" where two of 'em are added with a jigsaw and Coleman Stove?

Yeah boy, those folks are BUILDIN' VALUE!!! Not...
Yesiree! Well said.

A vaulted ceiling costs more per SF because there are more construction materials (duh!). Area under roof should count in appraisal even if it isn't living space (garage, porch, patio, etc.) Mature fruit trees should count as should mature landscaping over dirt or rocks. A square house has far fewer LINEAR feet than one shaped in other ways.

Copper pipes beats plastic 100 to 1. Rounded corners throughout the house is better than sharp "squared off" corners. Ceiling fans, number of heat pumps (and/or quality of heating/cooling), programmable thermostats, intercoms, security systems, dual pane windows, high levels of insulation (R38+), type of flooring, wiring for cable and / or sound. North/south exposure vs east/west (at least here in AZ). Extended life shingles and roofing. Extended garage with cabinets and work bench. Separate tub and shower in Master bath. Walk in closets. Fire place. Formal dining. Soft water.

My house has every one of the upper end things noted in this post. Yet I dread it being "comp'ed" with tract homes that have are bank-owned and have sat empty for 2 years and finally sold at give-sway prices.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Love where this conversation is at....appraisers and comps. I am sitting here on 14 acres with almost 3000sf and almost every agent is saying price per sq. ft and not wanting to give "extra" for barn or pool, comparing to a house sitting on 5 acres with no amenities. Had many tell me my comps are $47/ sq ft, which would be a forclosure with out even lite fixtures. When I sold my rental house the appraiser was from Birmingham, 4 hrs away and had no idea what the area was. Told me he didn't even want to do the appraisal...........
EXACTLY!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:47 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
I will give you a chuckle...spoke to a local agent last week. She told me I needed to drop the price down another 140k to compete with HER listing 10 miles away. I told her I was familiar with the house and that it did not even have a toilet in it, it was gutted by the owners when it was forclosed. She told me it did not matter, it is your comp! So I told this gal that I would strip the house and consider it.......she said oh NO you cant do that! Crazy market....

Old 12-11-2009, 04:50 PM

203 posts, read 371,797 times
Guy- I am sending you a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate