Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:45 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
They are not legally entitled it,that is correct. The way i worded the statement is incorrect, but they are doing the work for which the fee is specified, so therefore its absurd to suggest that the buyer is acting unethically in trying to obtain this concession from the listing agent.
No they are not. As Brandon so well said, the listing agent fee is for the listing agent to market, bring a buyer to the seller, and close the deal. The listing agent is offering a separate fee via the MLS for other agents that bring a buyer, again likely due to the listing agents marketing via the MLS and other channels. Consider it part of the listing agents marketing budget. An unrepresented buyer is not "entitled" to any part of the fee in any form.

Edit: All that being said, I would encourage the unrepresented buyer to get an agent to represent them that would be paid the co-op fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Did you poll Realtors, or are you just assuming for the sake of your argument that many of them will accept a lower commission?
I did not make any argument in my post and I'm not looking to start one now. I did not say that I condone or endorse this as a negotiating tactic. What I said was that it is out there. As to your question, no I did not make assumptions and certainly didn't run any polls. My information comes from 1st hand conversations with 4 home sellers. These sales took place between April of this year and the latest one was just 2 weeks ago. One home sale was in Michigan and three were in Southwest Florida and the commission percentage WAS lowered to close the deal in all four sales.

Last edited by Va-Cat; 12-15-2009 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-15-2009, 10:17 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
What anti-trust issues could there be?

A seller in a listing contract agrees to pay either a % or a $ amount to the brokerage when the house sells.

The brokerage is willing to cooperate with other brokerages and share their fee, or not, if no box is checked, the fee for such cooperation is listed in our agreement.

I do believe that NAR encourages the disclosure of how much coop brokerages will be in all seller listing agreements.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
...I do believe that NAR encourages the disclosure of how much coop brokerages will be in all seller listing agreements.
Not sure if they do, but the AZ listing agreement does not. It only says "Owner authorizes Broker to divide all such compensation with other brokers in any manner acceptable to Broker."

Old 12-16-2009, 04:46 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Consider it part of the listing agents marketing budget. An unrepresented buyer is not "entitled" to any part of the fee in any form.
Your trying very hard to convince people of this, after all you'll make more money that way. But its not true and I've already explained why.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:09 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Your trying very hard to convince people of this, after all you'll make more money that way. But its not true and I've already explained why.
Just curious, are you going to report the commission you receive as income?

Old 12-16-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Fine, you are welcome to your opinion. Just wanted others to know that what you believe may not be accurate. And I'd rather not make more money off an unrepresented buyer, I'd rather they get representation.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:37 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times
Quote:
If I told the plumber(in advance for equivalence I didn't ask for any services of the agent) not to come would I have to reimburse the landlord for time I spent fixing the problem, for the plumbers imaginary labor? No I don't think I would owe the landlord money for this.

I can tell you have never worked with unions.
Who have contracts.

The end result if it was a union is that they would disconnect your plumbing and fine you.
As the landlord I'd be pretty pissed that an unlicensed person was doing modifications. In many places this is illegal and the work would have to be redone after a fine.

So being a landlord, I'd kick your ass out for breach of contract if you did this more than once.

licensed plumber. licensed real estate agent.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I would think CO would have a Lawyer / Broker Committee appointed by the state that generates their forms. Surely attorneys have approved of how they do it and it has passed legal review. Just speculating
I'm sure that attorney's generated the forms, but the brokerage should be able to split the fee any way they want. It seems crazy that all real estate brokerages have to use this exact form for their listings. From what that snippet says, you wouldn't be able to drop your fee for unrepresented buyers. That is way too regulated.

It also doesn't sound like you can do hourly rate billing since they only have spots for commission and flat rates.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 PM

764 posts, read 1,598,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
I can tell you have never worked with unions.
Who have contracts.

The end result if it was a union is that they would disconnect your plumbing and fine you.
As the landlord I'd be pretty pissed that an unlicensed person was doing modifications. In many places this is illegal and the work would have to be redone after a fine.

So being a landlord, I'd kick your ass out for breach of contract if you did this more than once.

licensed Union plumber. licensed Union real estate agent.
There. I fixed it for you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate